How (and why) to Strip Wash

Good thread well done!

Is it only me, or do you find the type of detergent matters? Personally I find powder as opposed to tabs/ liquid/ gels better for nappy washes because I think powder gets dirty things cleaner, and is easier to measure out small amounts of. That might be of use to anyone who needs to fiddle with their washing routine.

Jenstar there is a thread on clothnappytree about this subject. Powder is much better for your nappies ans your machine and won't leave as much build up.

I have read that article too and it makes a lot of sense. However in practice I didn't find any difference between powder and liquid (I normally use liquid), except that I always spill powder all over the floor! Who knows what it's doing to my machine though.

Hi Rachel :)
I plan to stripwash and will be getting some dishwasher tablets today. My Q is that I only have cheapie nappies and so can't wash above 40 according to the website. Can I still do the dishwasher tablet method as usual and wash at 40 then do an extra rinse or so?
I'm also going to try using the calgon and switch to powder. I really need to crack this - damn my new washing machine!!!!!

Thanks for your help!

I've heard I can't use dishwashing soap in my front loader, are the tablets ok to use or will I have to find another method?

Hi Rachel :)
I plan to stripwash and will be getting some dishwasher tablets today. My Q is that I only have cheapie nappies and so can't wash above 40 according to the website. Can I still do the dishwasher tablet method as usual and wash at 40 then do an extra rinse or so?
I'm also going to try using the calgon and switch to powder. I really need to crack this - damn my new washing machine!!!!!

Thanks for your help!

If they were my nappies, I would still strip them at 60. I think 40 would probably work ok-ish but I like to give all nappies an occasional 60 in case there are any bugs lurking in there. I know the cheapies say 40 but I think they're being overcautious - the PUL should still be fine. It's up to you though!

I've heard I can't use dishwashing soap in my front loader, are the tablets ok to use or will I have to find another method?

Is that specific to your particular front loader or advice you've had about front loaders in general? Cos I've never heard that and I have a front loader, as do most UK people. Anyway, all of the methods I mentioned are ok in a normal front loader. I probably wouldn't use much washing up liquid in a front loader because it may get too bubbly and leak, but dishwasher tablets are very different - nowhere near as bubbly!

this is brilliant rachel, perfect info as ever from you!

this would be a really useful sticky for in here. x

Is that specific to your particular front loader or advice you've had about front loaders in general? Cos I've never heard that and I have a front loader, as do most UK people. Anyway, all of the methods I mentioned are ok in a normal front loader. I probably wouldn't use much washing up liquid in a front loader because it may get too bubbly and leak, but dishwasher tablets are very different - nowhere near as bubbly!

I've heard it about frontloaders in general. That you can't use anything too bubbly because it will overflow, void the warranty etc etc.

I've heard it about frontloaders in general. That you can't use anything too bubbly because it will overflow, void the warranty etc etc.

I'd just use my common sense. A lot of washing up liquid in the machine probably will overflow but a little squirt will just look funny through the window. When doing the washing up liquid method above, you would rinse a lot of the bubbles out by hand in the bath first anyway. The other methods aren't very bubbly at all.

I'd just use my common sense. A lot of washing up liquid in the machine probably will overflow but a little squirt will just look funny through the window. When doing the washing up liquid method above, you would rinse a lot of the bubbles out by hand in the bath first anyway. The other methods aren't very bubbly at all.

this is correct. the washing up liquid method is rather extreme anyhow, i cant see that being an issue if done correctly. and the dish tablet option worked fine in my machine, even in a soft water area x

Rachel, you rock. :)

I wash my cheapies at 60 now and again and they're fine.

Great thread thank you!!

Just a note on Ecover and why I think it can be bad - it contains soap which causes build-up over time. Bio-D is the same.

Thanks for your great info! I hope you don't mind that I linked to it from my blog... https://learnermummy.com/2011/11/25/everything-i-know-about-washing-cloth-nappies/

Hadn't thought to read this before as always happily used the full dose detergent method the few times it's been needed. However fancied trying the dishwasher tab method. Squeaky clean so far so ta.

Just an aside to the full dose method. I run a 60 wash with detergent and extra rinse then instead if soaking/further rinses, I throw a litre or two of water in the drum (to up the water in the machine) then run a long, cold wash - it's like soaking with extra agitation! Then, I do 3 short rinses and they're usually ready to go. Takes a bit less time than constant rinsing and spinning. If however i strip overnight, i stick on a second long cold wash with a super rinse and that usually does it too.

Just in case people want an alternative to pushing buttons on the machine every 20 minutes :)

Ive done a full detergant strip wash and my nappies still dont seem to be coming out smelling clean after it what should i do.

Did you definitely complete the strip properly? At what point in the rinse cycle did you check for bubbles in the machine? If it was right at the end, that's too late to check, you need to check while water is still slooshing around, otherwise any water and bubbles may have been drained away in the draining bit towards the end. Maybe if you let us know exactly what you did (how much detergent, what wash cycle, temperature, how many rinses etc) we can see if there's a way to make it work better.

If that doesn't work it could be that the build up is really bad and will take something harsher like a washing up liquid strip instead, but I'd only do that if we can't make a detergent strip work - it can take ages!

Also, when is it that they don't smell clean? Is it immediately after the strip, like while they're still damp/drying after it? Or is it after the first wee in them? Or after the first normal wash?

Sorry to ask so many questions but the more we know the more we can help.

i used like a full cup thing of detergant and wash rinsing them for a day and a bit after. and checked for bubbles 3 or 4 times during the last few rinses and there were non.

I was wondering whether its after the washing powder wash has been done or after all the rinses has got the bubbles out they should smeel clean. as im trying another strip wash at the moment,i did it with full detergant and straight after this before the rinses they didnt smell clean,

And normally they dont smell clean as soon as out of the washing machine whilst drying

They will smell of detergent straight after the full dose of detergent wash, before the rinses to get it all out. They shouldn't smell bad at that point. After the rinses, they should smell of nothing at all.

If they smell bad after the detergent wash but before the rinses, they haven't been washed well enough to get rid of build up, so do it again.

Have you cleaned your machine recently? If the machine has nasty gunk lurking in it, it might not be able to get the nappies clean. If another wash with full detergent doesn't work and you've cleaned the machine (do a 90 degree wash with nothing in it, some people use vinegar I think, Google it!), I would try a different detergent for stripping. I always think of it like shampoo - sometimes it stops washing out properly and switching to another shampoo for a wash gets rid of it. It may be the same with detergent so try another kind. If you use non-bio normally, try bio.

If none of that works, you're going to have to do a different kind of strip (not the dishwasher tablet one but any of the others should be more thorough).

Oh and also, once you do get it sorted and get them clean I would have a really good look at your normal washing routine - build up shouldn't get so bad so there is probably something you can do to elimitate the problem in future.

I just did a strip wash and used a bit of vinegar in the wash, it worked! Also a friend of mine suggested washing the cloth in the dish washer as it gets hotter than the washing machine, then just clean the dish washer afterwards. lol she is a bit eccentric, I have not done the dish washer trick yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->