How are non teaching posts paid?

Pearls18

Reaction score
Disclaimer: private school

A VERY interesting job has come up in my local area, it's a long shot as I'm not fully qualified yet but I have to go for it. Anyway the job is described as: 35 hours a week term time only in respect of £salary pro rata.

Now I am assuming this means the salary is less than what is stated due to the amount of weeks off, but what I can't work out is how much. I tried pro rata-ing it by the 40 term time weeks but surely that isn't right or it would mean no paid holidays at all? Just trying to work it out for child care to see if it is definitely worth it.

Also, do they just divide it by 12 and pay monthly for non teachers?

No real experience but I applied for quite a few office roles in schools recently and they were all pro rata = 40weeks + holiday (so 22 days pro rata) and would have been paid equal amounts each month.

I did find a couple of nurseries that did term time only contracts so maybe worth looking out for them.

No experience personally but my mum had similar and it was split equally over 12 months but technically not paid for holiday time. The people I know on this type contract were expected to be in school till a certain time but not expected to do overtime for extra meetings etc... And didn't necessarily start before school time but this is for jobs different to yours

No real experience but I applied for quite a few office roles in schools recently and they were all pro rata = 40weeks + holiday (so 22 days pro rata) and would have been paid equal amounts each month.

I did find a couple of nurseries that did term time only contracts so maybe worth looking out for them.

It should be this, the 40 weeks you are working plus the statutory amount of holiday (which is a minimum 20 days plus bank holiday pro rata) spread over 12 months. So if the salary were 20000 a year you would get roughly 17000 for the weeks you work plus the statutory holiday and then the rest of the time off would unpaid.

It would be great for when they are in school though as no paid childcare needed and some nurseries/childminders should do term time contracts as it frees them up for school holiday cover.

Great thank you, and I am assuming the way it works is you don't actually get to take annual leave during term time?

This job would be so amazing, I'm waiting to get the job particulars though which I reckon will state a certain number of years experience (can't be too many though as the pay isn't far off entry level) and this would be entry level for me so I very much doubt I stand a chance in hell but no way am I not gonna try!

It would be great in the long term if hubby didn't get posted. It would just be a shame as we currently use the nursery on my husband's work which is right opposite our house, a stone's throw. Oh well as I say very slim chances so point worrying, will just give it a shot.

People I've known on that contract at school you couldn't choose holiday

All the school workers I know get no annual leave (it's automatically taken in the school holidays).

With regards to child care I know a few local nurseries that do term time sessions. My nephew goes to one as my brother is a teacher :) Def worth looking at!

My Mam is a dinner lady.

Your annual leave is automatically included in school holidays so you won't get holidays + annual leave.

The wage is split over 12 months so you will get a pay in August even though you wont work in August if that makes sense.

Dont worry about the qualification, it doesnt mean they will rule you out. I recently applied for a job as a teacher whilst doing my pgce. I just wanted to change placement really and put that on my application. I wasnt bothered about being paid but i got the job! Started teaching before i was even qualified and that wanted experience too!

I'm sorry I don't know, but I work as a unqualified teacher and get about £14 an hour and then get paid for lesson planning per hour too, so an extra £7ish per lesson.

I work 40 weeks a year and get paid for 40 weeks pro rata plus annual leave :thumbup: i my uni annoyingly pay be the months i work and don't divide it by 12 but to my knowledge most schools do.

ETA so i am paid for 23 more days work than i do and am expected to take holidays in my time off iyswim. I can take leave during term time (like when i got married last year) but if i don't i earn more. Not explaining this very well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->