How did you introduce baby rice?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Just looking for some ideas/tips? Our LO is nearly 4 months and everyone is telling us we should start introducing solids once he's 4 months as she seems to be very unsatisfied by formula only.
She has 6 or 7 bottles in 24 hours and each bottle is 7 ounces, often she drains them and wants more. She was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old, but since 11 weeks has been waking once for a bottle, so is no longer as satisfied as she was.

She's also quite 'sick' and has been on infant gaviscon since she was 4 weeks old to help with this, so I'm thinking a little bit of baby rice may help with this and mean we can reduce the gaviscon?

My SIL has said to put rice in the bottle but I've read some worrying things about choking etc slam wondering if I should just feed her a bit before a bottle by spoon?

what did you do?

The NHS recommendation is not to introduce solids before 6 months, so there's no reason to introduce baby rice and you certainly don't have to. You might try increasing her milk intake to make sure she's eating enough (6-7 bottles a day of 7 oz each doesn't sound like 'a lot' to me). If she's still hungry after, just feed her more. Waking at night isn't a sign she's not getting enough to eat or needs solids - my 15 month old still wakes at night, even though she's been on solids from 6 months and wouldn't take milk during the night if offered. Babies just wake at night, sometimes 5, 6, 7 or more times and it has nothing to do with how hungry they are necessarily. Actually, starting solids caused more disturbed sleep and night waking for the first month or two in my experience because it can be rough on the digestive system and cause constipation, wind, just generally gurgling tummies, when they start.

Personally, we never used baby rice. Just did normal adult porridge from 6 months, but if you do decide to wean early, just make sure to ignore the advice on putting baby rice into bottles. You're very right that it can cause choking. If you do want to start solids, it's advised to do it after a bottle so that it doesn't decrease the amount of milk she takes. Milk should still be the main source of nutrients up to a year, so you'll want to prioritize that first with solids just being an addition to start.

Being hungry is no indication that a baby is ready for solids; actually quite the contrary. Milk is much more nutritious and has more calories than anything else you'd be introducing to her at this age. As the PP said, if she's hungry then give her more milk. It'll be the most filling thing you can give her.

It's also completely normal to go through phases of milk intake and sleep deviations. Your LO is still so young, and it's pretty common to be waking for feeds at night.

If you're still intent on introducing solids, then don't bother with baby rice. It has very little nutritional value. And definitely don't put anything other than milk in her bottle.

For nutrition and or acting hungry, baby rice doesn't do anything, as others have said. Try increasing her milk amounts.

However, it may help with the "sick". I actually did start giving small bits of baby rice around 5 months by spoon, and noticed a lot less spitting up. He'd only take maybe a few spoonfuls before having 8-10 ozs of formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->