How do I talk to my MIL about her daughters poor diet?

C

charlie_lael

So I'm living with my in-laws while my husband is deployed and his little sister (age 9) and they're really great and I'm very grateful, but a lot of things are starting to ware on me...

On of those major things is their diet... But more importantly; my little SILs diet..

it's already hard enough eating trying to eat healthy while pregnant, but throw in what my in laws eat most days and it can be quite scary.. I usually go out and get my own groceries (which is totally fine by me).

Anyway! On to my SIL.

She's 9 years old and her diet literally consists of sugar and carbohydrates... Not the good kinds either. Here's an example of what she ate today:

Breakfast: sugary coffe crisp cereal
Snack: dry ramen with the highly salty flavor packet
Lunch: sugary coffee crisp cereal and some soup (none of the stuff in the soup, she just fished around for the broth and threw out the actual food)
Dinner: the soup was kind of her dinner cus it was a late lunch
Night time snack: Chocolate milk (this is one of the things that bothers me the most about her diet) Now I have nothing against chocolate milk mix, but you don't understand how she makes it... She get a mug, not a glass, fills it literaly half way with chocolate powder, adds a LITTLE bit of milk, mixes only the top layer of chocolate leaving at least 1 1/2- 2 inches of chocolate powder, and proceeds to eat the chocolate powder with a spoon... Now she didn't do this tonight because I was babysitting her and I made sure she mixed it and I told her she couldn't have chocolate milk until I actually saw more milk than chocolate in her glass.

But that's literally how she eats almost everyday. Her parents aren't bad people, they're just waaaaaay too lenient. Shes very spoiled and usually only listens to her mother when I'm around to repeat her because my SIL knows I won't take that BS. It's really annoying...

But more than just being annoying its very very concerning... Like I'm really worried for this child's health. And its not like my in laws don't try to get her to eat good things every once in awhile... They're just really bad at keeping on top of it and when she starts relenting my in laws give up. Mainly my FIL.

Here's what happens: Mallory doesn't like what's for dinner, (surprise, surprise, if it's not Mac n cheese she won't eat it) so she whines and eventually starts to sound like she's going to cry and my MIL says "too bad so sad, you need to eat healthier and eat dinner or don't eat tonight, you're not having cereal" (yay, go MIL!) Then chimes in FIL saying "you're being too controlling (wtf?)" and then basically eats in an argument with MIL and Ofcourse MIL gives in and FIL let's Mallory eat cereal... Again... For the fifth time that day..

She has gotten so much bigger since the last time I saw her... Like.. Rounder.. Not taller.. All within less than a year.

I just don't know how to talk to them about their daughters poor diet and the consequences of her poor diet with out trying to back seat parent.. I try to stay out of it most of the time, but sometimes I just can't help it. I'm sure FIL thinks I'm just trying to control her, but I'm not! I'm genuinely concerned about her health and well being... UGH! How do you talk to someone about this with out hurting their feelings and with out back seat parenting?

Well, unless they have their heads in the sand, surely they must know?! You could always leave out some books or pamphlet, but I would be cautious...you are not the parent here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->