How do you cope when...

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
In a couple of months time Charlotte and Thomas will be too big for their car seats and it's time for the front facing car seat, but they still won't be walking at that point. At the moment I lug two car seats at once. Yeah it's seriously heavy and I have bruises all over my legs from it, but what do you do when that's not an option?

I'm wondering whether to resurect the sling and carry one in the sling and carry the other in my arms or even get another sling and have one on each hip. Sometimes its just not practical to load them into the buggy and but it's too far to leave one in the car.

:-k

I think the sling idea sounds the best option.

Ouchies at carrying two seats at once, one is heavy enough!

Could you not strap them into the pushchair and wheel them to the car and then strap them in to the car? And bung the Pushchair in the boot.
Then you wouldn't be too weighed down.
I'm too scared to leave Thomas anywhere, I push him to and from the car and shove anything I need to take under the buggy.

Just an idea

Cx

It's just those times where a buggy is too much like when we go from the car to toddler group or from the car to the doctors surgery. It's probably only 50 yards and it's through doorways which with a double buggy is a total pain.

Sling sounds like the way! Or strap them to a skateboard :lol:

>>>

>>>

Lol :rofl:

Haven't had mine yet but i'm already worrying about this . . We got a double stroller but it's just so big and when you're only going a couple feet it's not very reasonable. Would like to see people's answers to this question too

I think one car seat is heavy, without a baby in it :shock:
:rofl:
I couldn't imagine carrying two! How long are babies in rear facing seats?

>>>

Anyone know where I can get a skateboard from? :rofl:

I think they're in rear facing seats until around 9 months though maybe a couple of weeks longer as twins tend to be a little smaller than singleton babies of the same age (usually because they're premature).

It might sound horrendous lugging two car seats complete with babies but actually carrying two isn't as bad as you might think. You sort of balance out with the two of them. Think milk maid...

https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/HelenandBill/milkmaid01.jpg

Just a thought, what about a mei tai carrier? They can be a bit more adaptive than a sling and you can tie it in lots of different ways, including hip. You can also tie it in a certain way for twins....will see if i can find any pics/sites

Edit, cant find any pics showing twins but you coulst still use it to carry one of them and use your arms to carry the other.

Went looking to see what you meant and found these pics:

https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/HelenandBill/TBW_2MTs.jpg

https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/HelenandBill/mt_wrap.jpg

How big are the children in the first one! :shock:

I'm in awe. I wonder how easy it'd be to get them both in? Has anyone got any experience getting a baby on your back in a mei tai or a sling?

I have one ;)
Getting a baby on your back isnt hard, it just takes practice.
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/karoline1246/Alyssa/MTrob.jpg
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/karoline1246/Alyssa/MTrob2.jpg

By the looks of the second picture you would do the front first crossing teh straps accross your back then do the back putting the straps like a rucksack.

For those really short trips maybe one in a really light small buggy - those silly ones you get quite cheap? Prob would fit at the back of the boot and still fit your normal pram in whist one in your arms or sling but if its something silly from the car to toddler group/into doc I would seriously just consider a light buggy and arms. Slinging up etc would prob take longer (again if its just short walk distances).

Something light easy like:
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lEFQXsdgL._SY202_SX170_.jpg

??

Failing that I still think the skateboard would be easier than a sling too :rofl:

my girls are walking now but when they were 7+ months we used to just have a small light stroller and carry one from the car to the house

I did a back carry with Seren when she was older, at first it was fiddly but after a few pravyice goes she was strapped in in a minute

i dont think i could carry two babies like that in the pics you found helen i couldnt carry an 8lb let alone two 7 month old can i just ask what do you mean by the car seats you dont know what to do when you need to take them to the car or just out on shopping tripps sorry to sound stupid im a bit lost ???

At the moment, their car seats are carry car seats but when they move up to the next size of car seats they won't be carryable (if that's a word!). I'm guessing they'll be fixed into the car.

The problem is not so much at home because I park right by the front door and take them in and out one at a time, but when we get somewhere when I would normally just carry them in their car seats both at once (as in the milkmaid picture).

For example, at playgroup we go into a village hall but we park on the road a bit away from the door. I wouldn't feel happy leaving one in the car while I took one in as it's out of sight and just that bit too far for comfort. I need some way of carrying them both at once until they are able to walk.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

i havent got twins, however my 2 boys are 13 months apart and the oldest was not walking when i had younger 1 and i found this a nightmare as i had a seat that stayed in the car! I still hate gettn em all out now as it takes ages get em all strapped in again (4 of em!) i would nt have liked the idea of the slings- prob take jus as long as the buggy- i would go with what wobbles said with the cheap stroller or hook em both on ur hip! i just got used to carrying em both really to go into the school and stuff, is hard work tho! good luck:hugs:

Hi Helen,
I must just say I have found some of your posts very helpful especially the one about breast feeding. I am mum to two children a boy who is 5 and a girl who has just turned 4who was born with Downs Syndrome and I just recently found I the thank G-d I'm expecting twins early next year! :)

Re the car seat, it doesn't really matter if the children can't walk, at the end of the day if they are out growing the car seats that you carry in and out they need to be in a more secure seat. They can only go in when they can support themselves properly - ie sitting up. You can also buy car seats that have a double harness one in the normal place and one that sits across the chest giving more support whilst they are still smaller. Both my kids - even my daughter who has low muscle tone and is 'floppy' I put in a car seat like this when she out grew the other seat.
I hope that helps and anyway, also important, you need to take care of your back. They get bigger and heavier and you must look out for your back! I did my back in after my son was born purely from carrying the car seat in and out of the house!

Anyway, thank you again for your advice and hope you don't mind but would love to stay in touch with you over the coming months, need all the advice I can get! :)

Best regards and your kids look gorgeous!

Deborah

heheheh, you can tell i'm pregnant, got completely the wrong end of the stick from your first post! LOL please ignore mine previous post ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->