How do you deal with oversupply?

stardust599

Reaction score
I suffered oversupply and a foremilk/hindmilk really badly with my DD which made her quite ill and colicky, refluxy, gassy and feeding constantly (it was one of my reasons for failure to breastfeed). It never went away and I could always express over 10oz from each boob (probably could have kept going too) in 30mins or so but most of it was really watery (foremilk?) and it never filled my LO. I didn't start getting the thick/creamy milk until about 4 or 5 oz in and I don't think my LO ever got to it?

She never managed to "drain" a boob and I was confused with the switching sides. Cos she was feeding so often (maybe 20hours a day+) I didn't switch sides, I think I waited until 2 or 3 hours had passed before switching sides but even then the first side wasn't empty?

How do I deal with this if it happens again with new baby?

Keep on the same side for even longer. I've had an oversupply problem pretty much up until a month ago. Block feeding, and expressing no more then 1/2 oz to relieve engorment, helped a bit.
There are medications you can take to reduce your supply as well. Kellymom has a good article about oversupply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->