How do you do gifts in your house?

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
So how do you do it all, does Santa bring everything or just 1? or maybe you dont do Santa at all. Do you wrap all your gifts or just some? Do you open your gifts on Christmas eve or Christmas day or maybe you split them between the two days? Is your Christmas eve bags(if you do them) from Santa or from you?

In our house friends and family gifts are wrapped and put under the tree then everything else is from santa, santa gifts are not wrapped, santa is far to busy to wrap gifts :winkwink: We open all our gifts on Christmas day (OH and I open a sneaky one on Christmas eve :haha: ) and our Christmas eve bags are from mum and dad :flower:

I wrap the Christmas Eve stuff(pjs, stockings, chocolates, carrot for reindeer, cookie mix, new dvd, bath bomb) and that is the only present they get from us, everything under the tree Christmas morning is from Santa and then they get gifts from family in the afternoon/boxing day etc which unless they say 'look what Santa got you' are from the family member, not Santa!
We wrap the Christmas Eve present in the same wrapping paper that I wrap family members gifts in and then everything from Santa is wrapped in a different wrapping paper:)

On Christmas eve the "elf on the shelf" (ben elfie) leaves and to say thank you for us letting him stay he leaves a christmas eve box with new pjs, a film, slippers and hot chocolate. (Its not wrapped) dh and I also get new new pjs and hot chocolate (so we can all get "ready" together)
Santa leaves the stocking in ds's room and one present from him. The rest is from us that santa delivers for us (cause of course where would we store all those presents:winkwink:) and santa brings the presents from abroad also.
Anyone else that doesnt give us presents before hand gives them to ds himself on boxing day or when he sees them. Thats only ever my dad though everyone else gets them to us beforehand :haha:

We do all presents Christmas day, 1 or 2 are from Santa and left in boys rooms, rest are from us under the tree, we go to my parents lunch time and have presents from rest of the family there. Do your children not question why they get nothing from you if all gifts are from Santa and rest of family? I know my eldest would want to know why we didn't buy him anything!

I wrap the Christmas Eve stuff(pjs, stockings, chocolates, carrot for reindeer, cookie mix, new dvd, bath bomb) and that is the only present they get from us, everything under the tree Christmas morning is from Santa and then they get gifts from family in the afternoon/boxing day etc which unless they say 'look what Santa got you' are from the family member, not Santa!
We wrap the Christmas Eve present in the same wrapping paper that I wrap family members gifts in and then everything from Santa is wrapped in a different wrapping paper:)

Pretty much this. Girls xmas eve stuff is from me and that's the only thing I get them. Santa brings them a pile each and fills their stockings (piles are on couches, wouldn't fit udner the tree!) And family members bring their gifts on xmas day from them. Any presents they have been given already are under the tree and I will remind them who they are from when they open them on Christmas day

All stocking presents and presents from me and their dad are from Santa . They are all wrapped in same paper . All other presents are from the person who gave them . I told my eldest this year we give Santa sold money to help with presents .

One gift (always a book) for the boys on Christmas Eve night.
Santa present (one each but something extra special) first thing on Christmas morning. The breakfast, then stockings (from us), then walk and Christmas lunch is prepped and set out (we do a buffet to pick at), then main presents (from us).

This is the first year DD1 is starting to 'get' Christmas. Our plan is that Father Christmas brings two or three main gifts and fills her stocking. These are not wrapped.

They then have a sack each in the bedroom from Mummy and Daddy plus any larger gifts that do not fit are around the tree.

Gifts from family/friends we open as we see them...for example seeing my parents Boxing Day, DH parents day after Andy my extended family NYE (usually the week before xmas).

Growing up Santa bought everything and I thought to keep to the same tradition but this way gets a good mix and then our girls know Santa can't bring everyone everything.....

We put Santa presents out in a sack overnight on Christmas Eve. We get them a few presents from us too and they are usually put under the tree, although this year they will only be put under the tree on Christmas Eve as the baby will get them! Family presents usually go under the tree too.

The kids get a first December box, it usualy is a fancy non chocolate advent calendar, a book advent calendar, and something fun, this year was elf gloves with the face of their elf on it ( thanks card factory) plus the elves. That comes from the elves. The Xmas eve box this year has new pj's, a bath bomb , something fun ( this year is a elf toy from the card factory- again with their elf inside.) This is from the elves. All the presents, are from who ever gave them. Apart from one gift each from Santa. Always the one they asked for. We try to keep as few presents under the tree as possible. Unless it's from family who we have seen in the run up to Christmas. The temptation would be too much for my two. I also love the going to bed Xmas eve with there being just a could gifts under the tree and waking up to a full room. It's amazing. Even for me. And I'm the one who sets them all out. Everything is wrapped. Santa and the eleven share a paper. I usualy do one paper per person but this year I didn't buy enough so figured I'd use up what I had left. It's going to too a right mess but I'm shrugging my shoulders at it.

Do your children not question why they get nothing from you if all gifts are from Santa and rest of family? I know my eldest would want to know why we didn't buy him anything!

I can speak for myself and my cousins, sister and a few friends growing up who all did everything from Santa, and no, we never questioned. It was always that way so we thought that's how it was supposed to be and never entered our minds to question any of it. Thinking of it as an adult, with my adult brain, if I hadn't lived the experience, I'd wonder the same thing, but it just doesn't happen. (at least with anyone I've ever personally asked)

For us: Daughter opens one gift from me on Christmas Eve. She wakes up Christmas morning to gifts from Santa that are wrapped in different paper. This is the 1st year I've wrapped Santa so will see how it goes. I grew up with Santa not wrapped and loved it, but I wanted to try something different with daughter. Everything here at our house on Christmas morning is from Santa. About mid morning or lunch time, we'll go to my parents and open gifts with my sister and her 3 kids.

DD1 asked for presents from us this year (as well as Santa) but I completely forgot while I was wrapping. So everything is wrapped in the same paper apart from her bike which will have tinsel and a bow on - depending on if she remembers her request, the bike will be from us instead of Santa, as DD2 has a tablet from us.

All presents from family are under the tree - DD1 knows where they are from.

Put pressies out xmas eve night

Everything wrapped

Stockings from santa

Everything else from whoever brought it

This year as the boys are older and can leave the presents alone we have put family gifts under the tree. They are, of course, wrapped. We usually only do new pj's Christmas Eve and a couple of things from mummy and daddy. This year we have said the presents from us can be opened in Christmas Eve (so 1 gift each, new pjs, then to share is a dvd, the Snowman Bubble Bath and a little card game)
The rest of the things we buy are from father Christmas. Family gifts are from those family members, and everything is opened in Christmas morning. Santa gifts are in separate piles in the room and are the go to presents in all the excitement, then once they've opened them and are a bit calmer I'll go to the tree and hand out the other gifts, reading the labels and telling them who each one is from.

Do your children not question why they get nothing from you if all gifts are from Santa and rest of family? I know my eldest would want to know why we didn't buy him anything!

I can speak for myself and my cousins, sister and a few friends growing up who all did everything from Santa, and no, we never questioned. It was always that way so we thought that's how it was supposed to be and never entered our minds to question any of it. Thinking of it as an adult, with my adult brain, if I hadn't lived the experience, I'd wonder the same thing, but it just doesn't happen. (at least with anyone I've ever personally asked)

For us: Daughter opens one gift from me on Christmas Eve. She wakes up Christmas morning to gifts from Santa that are wrapped in different paper. This is the 1st year I've wrapped Santa so will see how it goes. I grew up with Santa not wrapped and loved it, but I wanted to try something different with daughter. Everything here at our house on Christmas morning is from Santa. About mid morning or lunch time, we'll go to my parents and open gifts with my sister and her 3 kids.

My husband and I both had the same, everything from Santa, and never once questioned it. There wasn't even anything from family as we only really had my nan and grandad and they would give my mum money to buy something from santa.
However my eldest son came home from school one day at around 5 and said "you buy is presents as well, don't you?" so I just said yes, and wrote "mummy and daddy" on a few of the labels.

Main present and stocking from me, everything else from Santa in this house. All presents from friends/family go under the tree and usually one or two opened before Christmas.
It was my intention to have just everything from Father Christmas but Lucas did ask me why I don't get him anything so that's why I started it this way. Also he just insisted that his stocking was from me and refused to have it any other way.
All gifts are wrapped apart from stocking fillers. The gift from me is wrapped in the same paper I use for family and the Santa ones are wrapped in character paper.

Stockings are opened first thing, Lucas comes into our bed and we take it in turns each pulling out a gift from our stockings. Gives us a chance to wake up a bit and for the house to warm up. Then we go down and all the gifts are downstairs to open. We see family later and exchange gifts then.

Everything is wrapped here apart from the stocking
Santa brings the stocking fillers and most of the presents except a couple labelled from me.
The elves leave the xmas eve box to say goodbye
everything is opened on christmas day unless its family we wont see who want to see the kids open them.

Santa brings everything and their stockings. All wrapped up.
The gifts under the tree are from/to family and friends. We kept 1 present back for each of them for under the tree to be off me and their dad, but Alex hasn't questioned it before, don't think he realised as was only just turning 4 last year.
The elf brings the Christmas eve box, they aren't wrapped!

We split ours about 50/50 from Santa and from us. All presents are wrapped (santa paper is different) except anything massive like her big dolls house this year. Stocking is from Santa too.

We do all presents Christmas day, 1 or 2 are from Santa and left in boys rooms, rest are from us under the tree, we go to my parents lunch time and have presents from rest of the family there. Do your children not question why they get nothing from you if all gifts are from Santa and rest of family? I know my eldest would want to know why we didn't buy him anything!

In our house all friends and family gifts go under the tree, they have tags on them so my boys know who they are from, the family gifts include gifts from us and a gift to each other!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->