How do you feel about epidurals/natural birth?

my mums happy she had me but pissed off she almost died doing it, she has a right to be dissapointed with such a awful birth after suffering so much during the pregnancy.

How does everyone feel about gas and air?

I found it was really helpful. I didn't get it until the last 30 minutes when I was pushing, so all the pain was kind of changing anyway. Just the fact that baby was moving out and taking pressure off my spine took away tons of pain anyway. I could still feel everything that was going on, the stretching, pressure, etc.. but it didn't hurt at all compared to the pain I had just been in from the position baby was in. I didn't actually feel like there were any drugs, it felt like just air. It was much easier to breath and push with g&a. I had the g&a in one hand and a water bottle in the other and a nice pattern of 1.g&a 2.water 3.regular air 4.push and it was really easy!

I actually don't understand how people can say that it doesn't matter how your child gets here, as long as they do so safely. Giving birth is a major event in a woman's life. You'd be disappointed if your wedding day didn't go to plan, giving birth is a whole lot bigger than that. I tried for home births twice and ended up with sections twice, I'm plumping for an elective next time as at least that way some part of my birth may go to plan.

I was very lucky in that my MWs were very supportive, as was my partner. But there are so many women out there that have been traumatised by their experience. You can't just say to someone that's experienced a horrendous birth, or who feels that their experience was handled badly by medical professionals, to get over it as they have a healthy baby - that totally dismisses a woman's feelings and experience.

Back on topic, I don't see anything wrong with epidurals, but I do think they are overused as a way of coping with understaffing - a woman with an epi doesn't need much attention until close to birth (in their eyes), whereas a woman going natural needs coaching through the pain, intermittent monitoring etc.

It honestly doesnt bother me how my babies got here. :shrug: Everyone is different.

I had a woman say I dont want a section cos I feel like I have failed.. Nobody fails when it comes to labour, not everyone has the birth experience they want to have but you just gotta let it go. Whats the point in being dissapointed and upset, its happened and its not gonna change.

My mum cries her eyes out when she tells people what I went through and I just sit there. When I came out of hospital my HV came round and examined me and said if I needed I could get some anti depressants. I didnt need them but my mum was so cut up I said she should of had some..

Well Laura, I never thought the day would come but I have to say that I completely agree with you:haha: I completely and utterly had no care as to how Emma got here. It would not have mattered in the slightest if I had had a section or an epi. All that mattered to me was to have my baby safely here.

As ever though (Marley I don't mean you, I just wanted to answer your 1st point) this seems to be getting into 'I'm allowed my point of view' rather than reading what people are saying. The original question was about epis and as I said, if someone has chosen that route then it does not mean that they never researched the side effects or that they were pushed into that route by medical professionals, it may be that was their considered choice. It was mine but I just couldn't sit still enough for it to be done safely. I DID need pain relief, hence my decision to then have pethidene. Gas and air just made me vomit- pointless for me!

For me, I cannot understand why people would be disappointed if they had to use pain relief. That is because I come from a different school of thought altogether. If your child is here then Ithink that is the important thing to focus on. Having been on the other side it is very hard to understand why, when your baby is here and safe, you are still upset. But that is just something I can't relate to. I have no issue with people wanting a natural birth but surely I am allowed to say that it was not important to me? Someone else's decision and feelings do not belittle the birth I had- why would they? My daughter is here and safe and at the end of the day, that is what makes a 'successful and positive' birth for me.

I don't think you have to have a preference, it doesn't have to be important to you. Your view is your view and it is valid.

In regards to medication. Like I have said, I tried the gas and it didn't work. I think I would have been disappointed if I had pethidine etc as I know it would have effected bubs and at 35 weeks that was a problem. If i had been labouring for 24-48 hrs and was exhausted, I may have been eternally grateful for it. I can't say. Where possible a drug free or intervention free birth has been shown to be optimal for the health and recovery of mum and bubs so I guess that is where my mtoviation to stay drug free comes from. I think it's about weighing up the pros and cons and making the best decision you can at the time with what situation you are faced with. But I have a preference of what I would like to avoid and for me, surgery, epis and especially forceps are way up there on the scale of freaking scary.

I'm a little puzzled why we are all supposed to be eternally grateful with whatever we get landed with. Of course we all love our babies but like someone said earlier, it's one of the hugest things we will ever do with our lives. If I brought a car and it wasn't what I wanted I would be entitled to be unhappy. If I get crap care during birth I am entitled to be unhappy, but if things don't go to plan and it is no ones fault then I am not allowed to have any feelings of disappointment?? I don't think I get the rules.

People will feel all different ways but I explained how I felt. I cannot understand disappointment when your child is here safely and going to leave in your arms and I never will. As I said, that is because I have had the other side so for me, I cannot see what is disappointing about having a non- natural birth even when that is what you hoped for. Others will feel differently.

How does everyone feel about gas and air?

Gas and air doesn't cross the placenta, so besides possibly making the mother feel a bit sick and woozy it has no negative effects on the baby before or after birth. It may not be particularly effective at reducing the pain but it does give the woman something to concentrate on and can help her breathe properly.

Exactly, this is why i dont class gas and air as a drug , others do obviously, so if somebody said to me they had a drug free labour id assume they ment no epi, peth etc. But probally had abit of gas and air. (Unless in the US)

Gas and air didnt numb th pain but it helped me concentrate on my breathing and once id got over the 'omg i feel sick/high as a kite/gunna pass out' etc stage and got used to it i LOVED it.
The only thing id do differently next time is possibly move around more and try different positions. I was on constant monitoring due to him being prem but i actually found it quite comfy led on the bed sleeping between every single contraction including pushing :rofl:
I also used the mouthpiece to bite on when pushing and then i was breathing the gas and air while sleeping inbetween :blush:

I have always kind of wondered why gas and air is not offered in the US? Anyone have any ideas?

Part of my own disappointment about my own experience is that it was such a quick and unexpected turn of events. I went to a normal doctors appt at 36 weeks only to find out that i had to deliver two days later. I had very little time to get used to both the fact that I was going to be a mom a bit sooner than I expected and that my birth was likely not going to go according to plan at all. So I really look back on it with a mixture of emotion andI can really understand how other women can be disappointed on some level about their own experiences.

I don't have anything against people who want to have a natural birth, I just never wanted one, period. I had an epi and loved every minute of my labour and delivery and I wouldn't change one damn thing about it. I would do everything the exact same way I did this time with all my future children. My whole experience was relaxed, calm and pain free once I got my epi (I was 7cm dilated). They did not use forceps or anything to get the baby out, and I didn't have stitches. My baby was given to me straight away so we could have skin to skin and breastfeed. I was up and walking the same day. It was the best experience of my life.

At the end of the day, nobody really cares how the baby was delivered but you.

I have always kind of wondered why gas and air is not offered in the US? Anyone have any ideas?

I wondered the same thing. With a little googling all I could really find was that it's expensive and bulky to store, not commonly known about so not requested so not enough demand for it, since it only takes the edge off pain they don't see the point in offering it, and birth in the US has become more like a medical procedure than a life experience so they expect everyone to have an epidural.

I don't have anything against people who want to have a natural birth, I just never wanted one, period. I had an epi and loved every minute of my labour and delivery and I wouldn't change one damn thing about it. I would do everything the exact same way I did this time with all my future children. My whole experience was relaxed, calm and pain free once I got my epi (I was 7cm dilated). They did not use forceps or anything to get the baby out, and I didn't have stitches. My baby was given to me straight away so we could have skin to skin and breastfeed. I was up and walking the same day. It was the best experience of my life.

I care if other women have horrible, traumatic births :shrug:

I care if other women have horrible, traumatic births :shrug:

Is that what this debate is about? Worrying about others? :nope: It was asking how I FEEL about natural vs. epi's if I read correctly.

I also feel bad for those who have a horrible labour...but this debate isn't about that.

'At the end of the day, nobody really cares how the baby was delivered but you.'

:shrug:

I think this debate was a little on the open ended side. Especially for the 'debate' section.
Is grown into its own thin and become a little personal.

As for the question about G+A made me feel VERY sick and projectile vom. Didnt suit me at all.

'At the end of the day, nobody really cares how the baby was delivered but you.'

:shrug:

I have not read all the other posts, so if the thread went in a different direction than the original topic then sorry that I even posted my opinion. It seems I have to tip toe around people's feelings in order to state my own opinion/thoughts on this debate. I don't know you or any of you ladies for that matter and if you did have a horrible birth, then I'm sorry, but I still don't feel it necessary to take it out on people who did enjoy their birth. I was simply saying that I loved my birth experience and would do everything the exact same next time.

I still stand by that comment you quoted though. Yes, people can have compassion towards other people...but still at the end of the day you are the only one who TRULY really cares about your experience. You are the only one who went through it. I can't put myself in your shoes, so I really wouldn't have a full understanding. Your baby is here and that's all that matters in the end anyways. 10 years from now nobody is going to be asking you if you went natural or had an epi etc....so obviously it's not important. I'm not sure I'm relaying what I'm trying to say properly, so I'm sorry if you have taken offense, but that is not how I'm trying to come across.

Have a nice day :hugs:

I think this debate was a little on the open ended side. Especially for the 'debate' section.
Is grown into its own thin and become a little personal.

As for the question about G+A made me feel VERY sick and projectile vom. Didnt suit me at all.

I'm not sure where else I should have posted it?? It was honestly an open ended question that came out of a separate debate. I just posted this here so that the other debate could go back to its main focus, if anyone wanted it to (it's since lain dormant, it seems).

I think what it boils down to is that people are always going to feel differently about their own births; birth is a very personal experience after all. I think the main point I was trying to get across was that the use of epidurals (while totally fine if that's your informed decision) has become really widespread. I just personally think if doctors were more upfront (I only say this because no one was upfront with me at all; I had to do all of my research on my own) about it, it might allow some women to know that they have more choices than they might have previously thought. It wouldn't take a lot on behalf of the doctors, just a quick sit-down during one of the many schedule appointments during pregnancy. But that's just my opinion on it.

I had no idea G&A could make you so sick, but I know that different people respond to medications differently. For example, I was on magnesium sulfate which for some can make them feel like they have a terrible flu, for me it only made me feel hot and nasty... Still not pleasant :haha:.

:shrug: I have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn't want an epidural, I am not too sure why though. Just didn't like the idea of it.

I did however, end up being induced at 42 weeks! Back to back labour was a nightmare and I was so grateful that I could have an epidural.
I guess I would've coped without it, but I think I would have been emotionally scarred from it all!

Next time I am hoping for things to go a little smoother than with Jake. Ended up having an emergency forceps delivery which I got really depressed about afterwards. Felt like I had completely failed.

I do think it doesn't help when some people 'parade' the fact that they had a natural birth and it was the best thing ever etc. It just made me feel so inadequate and like i'd done it all wrong. If that makes sense!!

Why do people feel sorry and bad for people who have had a horrible experience.. I feel like a child being patted on the head :haha:

Dont feel sorry for me cos I dont feel sorry for myself. lol

I have absolutely no problem with people having a preference. I said I had one too.

All I objected to was the word less.

The word less is all I objected to. The only implication I objected to. The only suggestion I objected to. The only fucking thing I objected to. Now stop putting words in my mouth.

Jesus Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->