How do you know if you are seriously dehydrated ? Help please :(

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
I am becoming concerned for my baby :( I know I'm dehydrated.... But how do you know it's to a point of serious dehydration? I can only get a few sips of fluids down at a time .... I avoid water for the most part, I manage to get a glass down throughout the day, but that's the most of water I get..... Other than that I sip on Gatorade , juice, or coke.... I vomit every single day, sometimes it's only once in the morning, other days it's randomly throughout the day ..... It's 1am where I live and I'm wide awake with rapid heart rate.... Pretty sure that's from dehydration too.... I have to pee several times an hr.... Im not sure where this p is coming from!! usually i feel i have to go really bad but its a very short p.....So now what? When do you need an Iv? Is my baby still getting enough?
:( any insight is greatly appreciated. Than you !

If you are still peeing this is a good sign.are you still eating anything?some water comes from foods.if you were seriously dehydrated your pulse would be rapid (100+) but weak and thready,your skin would have lost its elasticity so if you punch it up it won't immediately snap back down and you would have a dry mouth/mucous membranes.is your urine dark in colour and really strong smelling?

If Gatorade is drinkable for you then try going to the pharmacist and getting some hydralyte or gastrolyte.if you are vomiting a lot its important to replenish electrolytes as well as fluids and you may be able to keep it down better than water as it tastes more like Gatorade.juice still counts towards your fluids but you need water on top of it.if your heart rate is rapid but strong it could be your anxiety over the sickness and worry for the baby.check for the other signs is mentioned and keep trying to drink anything you can

Thank you !! I guess it doesn't help I already have tachycardia .... Sometimes it shoots into the 170s.... Its not that high tonight.... just fast and steady....Not sure if the dehydration is triggering it or if its just going whacky on its own....probably a mix of both? I can get Gatorade down, that's pretty much the only thing that stays down.... I get thirsty like I want to chug water , but when I try I usually end up so sick ... Like when you get the stomach flu and water only makes it worse..... I have pounding headaches every day and my pee is very strong smelling but varies from dark to light .... I have a dr apt on thurs.... Trying to hang in there until I see my dr..... Just wondering if there's any cause for concern before then.... Is my baby still getting all the fluids baby needs? That's my main concern..... I can't keep vitamins down:/ and my eating consists on snacking on crackers , chips, noodles , cheese , sometimes I can eat pizza or fries. That's about it. Not too much nutrition going on here! I try to get one fruit or veggie in a day..... Before pregnancy I was so healthy, this is aweful!

I had D&V in my last pregnancy at about 32 weeks and I felt terrible with a headache, and my wee was literally almost orange. I saw a doctor before I got to the thready pulse stage and he sent me to the Assessment Centre at the Maternity hospital for two units of IV fluids and they kept me in til I could eat and drink and my urine came back with no ketones in. Which luckily was only 6 hours or so. But I was much further along and it was important that the baby had enough amniotic fluids. At this stage your baby will be fine, but it's you you need to worry about if anything. Call your doctor hun xxx

Thanks so much ladies !!! If I can't get much down today I will call my dr..... So far I got a some watered down juice in .... Was up til 5am miserable....

In my last pregnancy, I switched to gummi prenatals during the time that I was nauseous. So much better!

Get ketone test strips from the pharmacy. If you are peeing 40+ go to the ER. With HG, I don't play around with dehydration. If you feel dehydrated, go to ER.

P.S. dehydration is going to make your HG 100x worse. Getting hydrated will help slow/stop the vomiting/nausea. Don't wait or worry if it is bad enough, just go. Tell the ER you have HG.

An easy way to tell is pay attention to the color of your urine. If you are well hydrated, besides peeing alot, your urine will be clear to a very light straw-colored yellow. If it is dark yellow to brownish you need to drink more. I have a gatoraid 32 oz bottle that I fill and drink about 3 to 4 times a day, plus I put lemons in my icewater and it tastes better that way. be careful with coke or tea, those are both diuretics (I think is the correct word) and they take water away from you instead of giving you hydration. My ankles are very swollen and my doc tells me to drink more water. Have a headache, drink more water. Feel nauseated, drink more water etc etc is her advice, it is abit annoying but very neccesary. You can buy mio or water flavor enhancer drops to make it taste better. You also need to be drinking extra water because with this summer heat you lose fluid when you sweat and have to replace that. You can also put fruit in your water to make it taste better. Good luck!

Most of the women I know (and I know a LOT now) with HG can't even think about drinking water, lemons or not. =/ I know I can't. I throw up water faster than anything. Theory is that when you are in starvation mode, your stomach has no idea what to do with a zero calorie item and rejects it.

Love2, honey, go get hydrated. Get the IV. You will feel so much better.

Yikes!! I wish I could drink 32 oz of anything in one day!! OMG iced lemon water sounds so good but the min I put it to my lips in dry heave :( :(. Do I have to ask the pharmacist for keystone tests or are they on the shelves? Thanks so much. I know the days I actually get some fluids down or keep some food down my migraines turn into light headaches which helps relieve the nausea. I'm sure most of my misery is dehydration:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->