How do you ladies feel about a male gyno?

aye its dif here in the uk as we tend to see mw and not doctors (is that as you av to pay and its more money in a docs pocket than it would a mw, wud be interested to know this ?), but as ive never seen a male doc other than the trainee male doc who assisted the female doc when my coil became embedded high up in my womb prior to ttc, i was more embarrased there tho as i'd just immac'd my bits and it was red raw, i remember apologiseing for this lol, but i would prefere a female really with any downstairs matters tbh!

a male studet midwife delivered my little girl and he was excellent. very supportive. i nk oits a little different than a gyno.

Like others have said and my mum and i both agree male gyno's are infact a lot gentler. So when I can choose i pick the male ones.

It doesn't bother me. My first every gyno appointment was with a man, quite old, probably about in his seventies. It was like having Mr. Rogers down there! Lol, but it was fine. The whole situation is bound to be uncomfortable anyway... I'd probably only be a little bothered if he was super sexy or something, then it would feel like cheating.:haha:

I have a male OB/GYN. He is absolutely fantastic. I originally saw a woman doctor at the same office, but she made me really uncomfortable. I had to see him one time when my doctor was out, and my DH and I LOVE him! He's always saying that he tries to treat every patient as he would want a doctor to treat his wife. So sweet. :flower:

I prefer male doctors looking down there - for the reason they seem MUCH more gentle than a female is!!! I had to have a speculum thing up there last week and at first a female did it and it FRICKING HURT I was in tears but they wanted to check again and a man doctor (who was soooooooooooooooo fit lol) came in! I was terrifed it would hurt again and was physically shaking - but he was SO gentle - to the point I hardly felt it! He kept telling me it was ok to be upset and did I want a female in there with him (hubby was holding my hands) but I said no it was ok, and he was so so gentle and told me everything he was doing i.e "Im just slowly putting the speculum in now - I promise I'll be slow and gentle" and "Just opening it up a tiny little bit now, its ok just relax" etc etc. I was a bit embarrased cos he was so fit though and he saw my hairy foof lol

when i had to pop in to be monitored i had a male down there and i absolutly hated it felt very uncomfortable with it and was telling i needed to relax but i couldnt :(

I think I would feel a bit uncomfortable about having a male gyno but if you had the cervix check with him and it was fine, then I can't see why it would be any more embarrassing having your pap smear or breast checks. If you think he's a good doctor and would prefer to stick with him, then I would do that.

I saw a female consultant gyno at our local hospital as was getting pains and stuff at 24 weeks and as they didn't have an obstetrics person on at the drop-in clinic, they sent the gyno instead. She was so rough with the wretched speculum, it was horrible. I'd rather have whoever is going to be the gentlest. And she asked me whether I make 'this much fuss' when I go for my smear tests. Grrr, nasty lady. I can't help it if I tense up when someone shoves an alien piece of plastic stuff up my bits. The more she got annoyed with me, the more tense I became!

Wouldnt bother me at all. They are trained the same and just doing their job.

To be honest i'm not bothered what sex the gyno is. If it's a male gyno then as long as theres a female chaperone in the room and i'm receiving the treatment i need....so be it. Though i think my hubby would protest somewhat. I'm past the point of caring i just want my baby out! lol xx

i dont want to sound sexist but i dont ever want a male gyno or male midwife. It sounds dreadful doesnt it? I didnt think about it until my m/c last year and they wanted to examine me internally while i was still losing, thats not very pleasant in itself, well without warning a male doctor walked in and started asking if i would put my ankles together and so on. I refused! Burst into tears and told him i wasnt comfortable being seen by a male doctor - especially without prior warning - silly i know. The only man who's ever seen anything 'down there' of mine is my husband. The doctor who fits the coils at my surgery is male so i will be visiting the family planning clinic after the baby for my coil. I know it shouldnt make a difference, they all have the qualifications and experience but its a personal choice thing i guess. I wont be allowing students at my birth this time round either but thats because the last lot i had didnt speak to me other than to give instruction and 1 used latex (i have a sensitivity to latex) gloves during a random internal exam (during an early induction) despite me arguing that those gloves were powder free latex not powder and latex free!!

i wouldn't see a male gynae or have a male midwife attend me, Its my body and I am notcomfortable with it. I had a make gynae for standard antenatalheck last week, which was fine but he took blood and left my arm a right black and blue mess and dithered about measuring my fundus, if i needed a cervix check i would have demanded a female.

I had a very awkward moment when i went into hospital with bleeding at 13 weeks. im a student midwife and at that point in my pregnancy i was booked at a different hospital to the one i work at. anyway the doctor came to examine me and guess who comes in.....the doctor i REALLY didnt like from work. i had no idea he had changed hospitals, i was just pleased i hadnt seen him at work for a while :p

he must have recognized me (otherwise he was going for a world record in quick speculum examination) and i had to remind him i needed anti-d injection as he was a bit flustered!!

In the UK im afraid we dont get much choice, you can request a female doctor of course, but if there isnt a female doctor on call then its either see a male one or dont be seen. the only way to make sure you get a female doctor is to go private x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->