How do you refuse the nasal flu vaccine?

_Meep_

Two girls
Reaction score
My 5 year old brought home a slip about this in her book bag the other day.

It only says '... please consent via this link' - no info at all about how to say you DON'T want it.

So do you just not use the consent link? I would have thought there would be an opt-out form or something, but we haven't received one.

Do they just not spray the ones whose parents haven't consented via the link? Or is there an option to consent OR refuse when you use the link? Can anyone who has used it tell me? I don't want to enter all her details then click onto the next page and find myself greeted with 'Thank you for giving your consent' or something similar!! Lol.

We've already told her teacher we don't want her to have it/told our child that under no circumstances should she allow anyone to spray anything up her nose, but I'd rather have it set in stone.

TIA!

My guess is children of parents who don't click the link don't get it done, but I would put it in writing and hand it into the school just to be sure.

From what you wrote, I'd assume they'd only give it to kids who had a parent consent via the link, and your opt out is not clicking on the link. I think by law they need parental consent for this kind of thing. I'd still send in a note to the teacher.

I would maybe put it in writing. Not clicking the link is probably enough but it's maybe worth it just as a precaution.
We don't do the nasal spray but we get a form that allows you to sign that you do not give your consent.

Urgh, why haven't we received one of those?

It just seems so dodgy ...

Definitely sending a note in and having another word with the teacher on the day.

We never recieved a link, basically had an appointment through for the first one at our surgery, and now they have it done in school, since my two have been receiving the nasal spray though they have not once had the flu where they did have it previously, I'm sure for the school ones you tell them you don't want it done rather they consent to having it done, I've always put off the flu vaccine for myself never had one done, but I decided to let the kids have it, as personally id rather a 3 second spray up their nose than to catch the flu and for anyone that's had real flu, you feel like your at deaths door :rofl:

Really? We've never had an appointment offered from our surgery but that may be because we kept getting letters when we decided to discontinue the vaccination schedule and my OH eventually rang up and asked them to stop sending them lol.

We got them for a few years but they seem to have stopped now.

(We do all other vaccines by the way)

Really? We've never had an appointment offered from our surgery but that may be because we kept getting letters when we decided to discontinue the vaccination schedule and my OH eventually rang up and asked them to stop sending them lol.

I think they first got offered around 2 or 3 years old at the surgery for the first one if I remember correct! Then they have them now annually in school, the school doesn't make it clear though so I can see why your annoyed with it! Normally for anything at school you sign to agree, with these sprays you sign to disagree, at my kids school it's the case anyway!

I think they first got offered around 2 or 3 years old at the surgery for the first one if I remember correct! Then they have them now annually in school, the school doesn't make it clear though so I can see why your annoyed with it! Normally for anything at school you sign to agree, with these sprays you sign to disagree, at my kids school it's the case anyway!

This is personally what I would expect/like but it doesn't seem to have happened! Maybe there will be a form soon but I am guessing not as we've already had this slip saying 'If you haven't yet consented go to ...' etc. Arrrghh!

Obviously it wouldn't be the end of the world if she did end up having it by mistake (I don't personally believe all the stuff anti-vax enthusiasts come out with, and am not anti-vax per se, though it cannot be denied that there are vaccine-injured people out there) but I would be extremely upset and worried by the carelessness of the school/people in question.

Yeah I know what you mean! Nothing wrong either way, your parent your kids however you like! Some things i do may not be to others taste, but that's life isn't it lol! Definitely talk to the school though if I were you, I think they just assume as it's not an injection, everyone will be willing

Also as with us adults, cannot guarantee that by having the flu vaccine you wont get the flu anyway! To me it's not as much of a big deal as all the meningitis jabs and all the others they have as babys, for me they were a must, I just consent to it because I would rather them have it than not, I've never had it myself though! Also this baby will need a TB shot as when hes born, which I'm absolutely bricking it, we are not at risk, but as my partner's mother was born in Africa (they are portuguese) there's a huge risk of passing TB down, so all the kids have had it and now the grandkids has to have it, and THAT injection looks mean as hell! (I never got mine done at school either :rofl: )

The nurses who come in to school will NOT vaccinate any child (under 12) who does not have a consent form. They may however try to contact you on the day to ask you if you want the vaccination and have just forgotten to consent.

My son brought a form home last week. On the last page there were two boxes, one I consent and the other I do not give consent. There was also a separate information leaflet.

My son brought a form home last week. On the last page there were two boxes, one I consent and the other I do not give consent. There was also a separate information leaflet.

Wtf!!!!! When is everyone's child having this please?? I am beginning to think maybe there will be further information provided at some point before it happens ... surely ...

Last edited:
Also as with us adults, cannot guarantee that by having the flu vaccine you wont get the flu anyway! To me it's not as much of a big deal as all the meningitis jabs and all the others they have as babys, for me they were a must, I just consent to it because I would rather them have it than not, I've never had it myself though! Also this baby will need a TB shot as when hes born, which I'm absolutely bricking it, we are not at risk, but as my partner's mother was born in Africa (they are portuguese) there's a huge risk of passing TB down, so all the kids have had it and now the grandkids has to have it, and THAT injection looks mean as hell! (I never got mine done at school either :rofl: )

I'm not happy about either side of the vaccine argument tbh. Meningitis is the disease that scares me the most.

My older daughter had all her vaccines up to age 1, including the MMR. My toddler hasn't had anything and is by far the healthier of the two of them, though I've no idea whether that is down to not vaccinating her or just luck of the draw and would never claim either way.

TB is what we used to have the BCG for isn't it ... yuck! I remember mine - it hurt and I still have the scar! I hope it isn't as nasty now ...

Yes! Its the BCG vaccine! My year was the last ones to receive it apparently, now they only do it if your at risk, which my poor little baby will be! It looks awful having done, and injections don't bother me, but that one is mean! Everyone I know that had it done is scarred and so will my baby be :(

On the topic of the flu spray, I just recieved this text from the school! They've made it much simpler to opt in or out by the looks

Screenshot_20190930-115330_Messages.jpg

Urgh, how awful ... it gets quite itchy and makes a lot of pus if I recall correctly. Grim. But if he needs it then what else can you do? He will be very tiny when he has it, though, so he will never remember (unlike me lol).

Arrrghh! Still nothing from the school this end. At least you have an option to say no, which we don't seem to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->