how do you save money? general thread

catty

Reaction score
Just a very general thread on how you save money. Are you happy to cut down on treats/ buy value range or go for the items that dont look quite as good to save?
in other areas aswell not just food shopping

A few ways I cut down are -
buy toiletries from home bargains or the pound shop. I always find branded items here for cheaper than supermarkets.

I get alot of bath/body items at xmas and birthday and this generally does me the year. (Not including shower gel)

I dont buy myself anything from the more expensive shops anymore :(
Id even class topshop as expensive nowadays. Instead I go to primark/new look and im not to fussy about 2nd hand either if its nice

Stock up at baby sales and amazon.
I got 12 pack of baby wipes for £8 when there normally £1 each so when I see these I get quite alot, same with nappies.

I probably do other things aswell such as shop at the 'cheaper' supermarkets and try not to impulse buy.

im trying to find other ways to save.
my food budget is £200 pm and baby budget is £50pm.
I get the urge to go and buy things often though whether it be food/candles/baby items so think I need to give myself a budget for that to!

I try to buy quality items so that they last longer and hopefully save money in the end (furniture, cars, shoes, etc). I sometimes use coupons and try to combine them with a sale. Lately though with a toddler I haven't been able to keep up with the coupons.

We haven't been to a movie theater in about 2 years, but we used to go to the earliest showing which had a cheaper price at one theater in town.

We visit the library often for movie rentals and books (but we do also own a ton of books! DH and LO are book addicts).

I buy some things in bulk when there's a good deal, like paper towels and baby wipes.

We cook our own food 90% of the time, buy pre-made dinners maybe the other 9% and then rarely get restaurant food. We grow our own herbs and a few vegetables. Although I'm not sure it really saves money on the vegetables.

Honestly though, I need to work on budgeting a lot more. I'd love to hear some more ideas too!

We shop at lidl and aldi for food and nappies, I buy some make-up online (you can get new loreal makeup and other brands genuine for much cheaper from companies on Ebay etc), I also buy certain products from Savers or Poundland sooo much cheaper than Boots or supermarkets, I buy birthday cards from card factory now instead of clintons which does seem to save us quite a bit of money! I also now see Topshop and places like River Island as expensive :( It's now usually Primark, hennes or new look for me, although I hardly ever get new clothes nowadays. I get lots of stuff 2nd off Ebay for LO including Clarks shoes ect or go to Hennes for him. I'm also hoping to spend me and DH's birthday and Christmas money this year on a couple of family annual passes to family places so we can always have days out. X

I try and buy quality for things I want to last for a long time like my shoes, coats ect.
I buy cheap clothes for the kids as they grown so quickly or ruin.
I buy second hand for the boys as well and for smart dresses for myself as they only get worn a few times and then sell on again.

I buy a lot in bulk from Costco like washing tablets, tinned tomatoes, oj.

We use an organic veg box service. Sounds more expensive but as it's so fresh the veg last way longer so we never get any waste.

I use cash back sites and always try to look for discount codes.

I do bogof offers when shopping especially of toiletries and cleaning stuff. I but own brand when I think hubby won't notice and like using meat that has been marked down since I go shopping in the evening.

I also have a separate account I have no debit card for that I put overtime into as it's 'extra' money.

Internet banking, if it wasn't for that we would be terrible.

We have lots of separate accounts, we have our own accounts, an ISA, the boys each have a savings account, we have a childcare account, Christmas saver, a joint and contingency saving account. Every month a set amount goes into each, I find segmenting our money and treating it as spent stops me going mad.

As for shopping cheaply, that is something I am not good at, we easily spend £120 a week so I am watching this thread keenly!

Treat savings as a bill and have a dd set up to transfer a certain amount to the account on payday.

Treat savings as a bill and have a dd set up to transfer a certain amount to the account on payday.

We do this. DH has a savings account which I a DD set up for money to come out.

At the end of the month if there is anything left over in my account, I transfer some into my savings.

ETA: We are lucky enough to not have to budget/cut down in order to save a few hundred a month

Internet banking, if it wasn't for that we would be terrible.

We have lots of separate accounts, we have our own accounts, an ISA, the boys each have a savings account, we have a childcare account, Christmas saver, a joint and contingency saving account. Every month a set amount goes into each, I find segmenting our money and treating it as spent stops me going mad.

As for shopping cheaply, that is something I am not good at, we easily spend £120 a week so I am watching this thread keenly!

Think I need to do more of this! I say I spend 200 on food but I probably spend much more then wonder where its gone. I have an account for bills, another for spendig and another for saving but think I need a few little ones too

I am terrible at saving money but i do my best where i can. I buy all clothes in the sale where possible and make larger portions of food in the evening to take to work as lunch the following day. I recently started buying fruit and veg from a farm shop nearby where i can get the quantity i need instead of buying loads of big bags that never get used. It also last longer and is sooooo cheap. Yesterday I bought 5 sweet potatoes, 4 normal potatoes, 3 leeks, a piece of ginger, 6 eggs, a bag of apples, 2 handfuls of mushrooms, spring onions and a spring cabbage for £8.50. Its not far from the supermarket either so not too much trouble.:thumbup:

I have a standing order that puts a minimum in savings each month else I would spend it all! I now need to set up another as about to start work!

We food shop at Aldi and meal plan which saves a fare bit of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->