how do you wash yours?

dougie

Fluff addict!
Reaction score
i guess im still trying to findn the right setting on our machine to wash our nappies
i was told by an advisor that it would be best to do a cold wash as it would flush the smells away, however my nappies really smell of wee, its quite unpleasant

has anyone got any better ideas?

I do a cold rinse followed by a wash at either 40 or 50, depending on how much poo there is! :haha: I can't imagine that a completely cold wash would do the trick for us.

ETA We use soapnuts as detergent.

Ive always gone straight into a hot wash at 60 degrees with bold 2 in 1 detergent.

i think i will try just a hot one today see what happens i guess
ive had them on pre washes and extra rinses depending on what setting my machine is on, i swear it has a mind of its own sometimes!

ahh, im sure I remember your username from 3rd tri when I had abigail...:wave:

I go straight into a 60 degree wash and the a cold rinse...they seem to come out ok, microfibre always smells though, I bleached mine and it got rid of that problem though :thumbup:

hiya!! :D
how is she?

yeah its mainly my BGs and LLs that smell, my BBs are okay

maybe i will have a go with that next time, normal wash then a cool rinse

Shes doing really well thanks hun! Its the star tattoo I remember from your bump pics :haha:

Yeah my BG MF inserts hold a bit of pee smell, but I bleached them a while back and now they are no bother at all...microfibre tends to need a good strip wash more often than bamboo or hemp :thumbup:

Play about with your settings until you get fully clean nappies (or a few drops of an essential oil of your choice to make em' smell a little bit nicer)....but personally I always do a hot blast just for the sake of any bacteria getting zapped!

haha yeah everyone remembers the stars, im amazed they have gone back to normal actually!

yeah maybe i will try doing a strip wash one day soon, definitely think they need to be washed hotter

we will see eh

I just put them in on a 60 degree, with washer balls. We do add a nappy cleanser (Lollipop one, with Lemongrass and Hemp) though, and it seems to work pretty well.

60 deg with prewash, and put the washing powder in with the prewash. i'm trialling bold 2 in 1 to see if it is better on stains than just persil liquid.

I do a cold rinse, followed by either a warm or a hot wash (depending on how many icky, poopy nappies are in there) with detergent.

If the MF inserts are holding the ammonia smell, try a vinegar soak just on the inserts- it helps dissolve the ammonia salts- hth :flower:

is that just normal vinegar?
thanks ladies :D

I do a cold rinse, followed by a 60C wash with soapnuts. Every so often I bleach my microfibre inserts and that zaps the smell. If I have bad stains I pretreat with Vanish or add a tbsp of Napisan in with the main wash.

I wash nappies every 3rd day, which is when my bucket is full.

I do a rinse (which is 30) then a normal wash at 50 with soap nuts (or occasionally bold 2in1 recently)

I find 30 is fine to wash at if the nappies are fresh, as in you are washing just one days worth and maybe no poop - but if the nappies have been sat in the bucket for over s day the smell is a little harder to clean which i don't think 30 can do too well.

just put the smelly ones on a 30degree 'hygiene wash' its going to take 3 hours but maybe they wont smell anymore

aaah

fresh nappies again :D

surely a 3hr wash every day isnt the most efficient, and probably defeats the object of going green and using real nappies
still trying to get into the rhythm though i guess

I dont do a special wash or rinse (unless its the poop dipes). Normally I do Hot/Cold and just throw em in with homemade detergent. For the poop ones, I do Hot/Cold but add vinegar to my downy ball for the rinse cycle.

Never had an issue. Never needed multiple rinses/washes/etc.

I rinse out poop diapers until the water runs clear. On wash day I dump em all in the washer on the longest cycle with Purex free and clear and then do a long cold rinse with white vinegar - hang dry on a rack over night.

hmmm, I cold rinse, then wash on 40 (occasionally 60) then cold rinse, may nappies never smell and i've never had to do a strip wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->