How long are you working up to ....

35 weeks im due to finish. I work in a shop though so im on my feet all day

I'm hoping that I can start my maternity leave a few days before due date but to take 2 weeks annual leave before this.

My last day is tomorrow when I'll be 36 + 5 (thank god!!). I orginally planned to work up until I was 38 weeks, but I just reached a point where I knew I had to stop early. I still feel great and physically it would be no problem at all to keep working. But I'm self-employed and often work long days and on weekends, so I've literally had no time to prepare for baby or take any time for myself lately, or even really spend much time with my husband. I still don't even have half of what I need for the birth or baby. I haven't sat down and read a book or had a relaxing coffee with a friend or gone out to dinner with my husband in so long that I can't even remember anymore. So I decided I really needed some time to relax and get things in order and prepare myself emotionally for welcoming a baby into our family. I'm lucky that I'm able to take the next year off from my job (I'm still a student on top of that, but I mean paid work), so stopping work one week earlier isn't going to make any difference to me in the long run. But hopefully it will mean I'm relaxed and rested and prepared for when this baby arrives and that seems much more important than continuing to work. We don't have a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination, but we have enough and the time is more important than the money right now. Now if I can only survive two more 12 hour days, then I'm free!!

With my last son I worked up to the day, I had him on Aug 1 my last day of work was July 31. I'm not sure if I will have a job at the end of this pregnancy as my company is moving out of state. I may have another job lined up already and I will try to go as long as possible, can't really afford not to

I HAVE to stop at 30 weeks.

With my 1st I was actually going through a legal dispute so was signed off at 16 weeks and didn't go back, but at 30 weeks I was the size of a house and I knew I wouldn't be able to return even if I could at that point.

With my 2nd I originally planned/thought I'd go through til about 34 weeks, and have 6 weeks off with my 1st before baby arrived. In the end I was signed off for 2 weeks 25-27 weeks and I was very poorly, so during that time I applied to have my leave brought forward and I left at 30+4. Best thing I could have done too as my health improved dramatically.

This time, well I'm currently unemployed, so it's not really an issue, but I've told the job centre that I will not be looking for work past 30 weeks (which is reality means 28 weeks as the minimum lead in time/sign on time to most jobs is a fortnight) . I am currently 13-14 weeks (will find out precisely tomorrow) so I have 14 more weeks of job hunting/working.

I know a lot of ladies would say stay later so you get more time with LO, and if your health allows you to then brilliant, but for me, I was literally dead on my feet and my Dr was very concerned about me. I'd rather be healthy and not risk me or the baby than have a few extra weeks (and I've had them anyway - I should have gone back to work 4 weeks ago :wacko: but ya'know! lol)

I worked until a week before I was due with #1, and I'll probably do the same this time around - really all depends on how I'm feeling and whether I'm comfortable enough with my replacement. I wan't to have time to get things ready, but at the same time I don't want to sit around for 2 weeks with nothing to do!

Ive got 6 weeks annual leave so I'll add that on to the start of my maternity leave, but I'm taking mine early as I get sciatica about 30 weeks, so that's when I'm leaving, also to spend some quality time over the summer with my toddler.

I have just finished sorting my dates out for HR.

Last time I planned to go to 38 weeks. Changed it to 36 weeks at the last minute. Spent my 36th week in hospital and had DD bang on 37 weeks after two inductions.

I'm stopping at 36 weeks again this time. I'll use up some holiday and start my mat leave at 39 weeks.

I was really ill last time so don't want to push it this time and I now have a longer drive to the office and a walk from the car park too. Determined to keep my blood pressure low and my swelling to a minimum this time!

Plus, I'm hoping for some quality one on one time with my DD before her sister arrives. Lots of baking and art in mind!

I'll be finishing at 37 weeks, with my daughter I finished at 36 weeks, and then went nearly 2 weeks over so I want to keep going a bit longer this time :thumbup:

I have taken lots of advice from people with kids and they have said all being well do not take too much time off before.

So I am leaving at 37+6 weeks!

I think I've made a decision, will work up until a week I am due, take that week to relax, get things organized, unless baby decides to come early :)

Tip for UK ladies especially if you're concerned about finances. I didn't take any holidays at all and worked until 39+2. As you're entitled to all holidays I got paid in full for these in December. Check your companies policy, it was tough at the time but so worth it! I get the basic smp so this covered my car insurance & tax for the year, Christmas presents & some for savings. Made a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->