How many breastfeeds when on solids?

ani

Reaction score
Just wondering how many breastfeeds your babies get with solids? My LO has been on solids since he was just over 5 months, he eats 3 meals a day now. The meals are not that big, but he generally seems to enjoy them.

He is now getting around 5 breastfeeds per day, and a bit more with meals sometimes. At times the feeds are not that big, though, like just now after he woke up he just didn't want much milk, was ready to head out to play instead!

Not sure what the guidelines are about number of milk feeds and how does it develop over the next few months?

Once they've been weaned and take 3 meals they usually beging to drop feeds... Just make sure she is getting a well balanced source of other foods.

Hannah's not BF but at 7 months she was on 3-4 bottles a day, it's now down to two, she loves her solids :lol:

Hannah's not BF but at 7 months she was on 3-4 bottles a day, it's now down to two, she loves her solids :lol:

:shock: only 2!? Alexa would never give up that much lol I don't mean to sound know-it-all or anything, but Alexa's dietician and the pamphlet she gave us said 4 8 ounce bottles or 4 breast feeds a day until 12 months! Or did your doctor tell you to cut down that much?

Sorry hope I don't offend by asking, just curious and shocked :blush:

oh no I know what the guidelines are but Hannah's milk feeds have always been lower than the guidelines, even before she was weaned. Trust me it's not something I wanted to happen but when you have a baby who fights it tooth and nail.......well you just try to make the best of it :lol: And I didn't cut anything out........she did it on her own. It's not something I've taken lightly but some babies just don't enjoy their milk as much as others

oh no I know what the guidelines are but Hannah's milk feeds have always been lower than the guidelines, even before she was weaned. Trust me it's not something I wanted to happen but when you have a baby who fights it tooth and nail.......well you just try to make the best of it :lol: And I didn't cut anything out........she did it on her own. It's not something I've taken lightly but some babies just don't enjoy their milk as much as others

Okay, that makes sense-sorry I am not used to that with a baby that strives for 5 a day :lol: I remember Alexa's pedi saying that there is not much you can do with a baby that eats or drinks less food or milk than the guidelines suggest because they will just refuse, or throw it back up :dohh: guess I am just not thinking tonight!

:hugs: No worries, trust me I've stressed out a lot about this, but in the end it's true you just can't force it. Since we've gone to two (and one of those is actually in a sippy cup throughout the day) she's actually taking in more than she was before.

Thanks, girls. I guess we'll just see how it goes naturally for us.
This morning at his 4 am feed, he actually threw up the WHOLE feed when I was letting him sit up to burp. All over the bed! At least now I know that quite a lot really does go in.... ;)

Amelia is 8mnths on Monday and she is down to 3 breastfeeds per day.

I think a month ago she was probably on 4 feeds?

10am, 3pm, 7.30pm, 3am & 6am.....actually no lol thats still what she is like! :shock:

sometimes she misses the 6am feed and just has breakfast, and since yesterday i have started giving her 3pm feed as formula.

Just try and be led by him. Remember that unless you're offering drinks as well he'll still use the breast milk to quench his thirst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->