How Many Embryos Should I Implant for FET #2 with PGD testing?

jaybee11

Reaction score
I did my IVF egg retrieval in Sept. 2014 (20 eggs retrieved; 17 made it. Out of the 17 eggs, 12 got fertilized with ICSI. 5 embryos made to day 5). We did PGD genetic test on all 5 and 4 embryos are deemed normal.

We freezed all 4 embryos and I did a FET #1 in Dec. 2014 by implanting just one embryo (Grade 4AA). I got a BFP that cycle, but I miscarried at 6 weeks on 1/8/2015. RE was surprised because I did PGD genetic testing on all my embryos and therefore we think it was supposed to be a genetically normal embryo. All tests came back normal so we don't know the reason for the miscarriage.

Now I am getting ready for FET #2 later this month. Once again, I need to decide how many embryo to transfer. I am still thinking about one (1) due to the risk of twins. RE seems to think there is a good chance it will take since it is a PDG embryo. But am I crazy to think it will work again when I miscarried last time? My remaining embryos are Grade 4AB, Grade 6BA and Grade 6CA. The embryologist mentioned that the last embryo (Grade 6CA) is not that great quality so it probably wont' implant. My initial thought is that I will implant 1 this time. If it doesn't work, I may implant the remaining 2 on my third cycle (if necessary).

Has anyone been through a similar dilemma? How many PGD normal embryo did you implant for your IVF/FET cycle? Is it true that there is a better implantation success rate with a PGD normal embryo? I always thought i would not be able to get pregnant. I didn't expect to get pregnant (with a PGD normal embryo) and miscarried. It was one of the hardest thing I had to go through. I am starting to think the PGD is not worth the $5,800 that I paid for.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

well i am in the same kind of dilema. I have 3 frozen day 5 embies in the freezer. I was sucessful of our 1st icsi fresh cycle and now have a just turned one yo daughter.
Now we want to do something with what we have frozen. My clinic advise defrosting 2 at a time, due to how many don;t make the thawing process. But having twins scares the hell out of me financially, physically and everything else. But i cannot defrost 2 and only use one - it'd be like throwing a potentially baby away.
Becuase i was succesful 1st time - does it make it more likely i was catch again this time - putting two in is the % more likely that one will take

Hubby is very pro twims and confident that we would be able to afford them and we would manage - it's just my own fears. I know it'd probably have to be a c-section too, so having major abdominal surgery scares me too and the 6 week recovery too.

It sounds like i am talking myself out of it doesn't it?

But i think that is only a question you and your partner can really answer armed with all the knowledge from the dr's as to their opinions etc.
There are plus's and minuses for both options - just depends on which one comes out top for your circumstances.

@pcsoph2890: thanks for responding. Congrats on your DD! Your concerns are certainly legit and I am really scared of twins too. My brother have twins (a boy and a girl conceived via IVF). They are the most adorable thing and I love them so much. But it's definitely hard raising twins. So that's something to consider. Did you do PGD testing with your day 5 embies? I am seeing my RE this Friday so I will talk to him. I am leaning towards one right now. So we will see. Good luck on your FET journey as well!

We did PGS and will transfer two but that's a decision we've come to after 18 months of various (expensive) failures.

You have to be 100% prepared for twins however because the odds are so high that it's arguably more than 50% of a chance. If you have any doubt, do not transfer two.

As an aside, your embryologist saying that the 6AC probably wouldn't implant because it doesn't look great is actually completely incorrect based on all the research out there which indicates that it does NOT MATTER AT ALL what the embryo looks like if it is euploid.

@ 3chords: thanks for telling me about the embryologist being inaccurate. That's good to know. I will mention this to my RE tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Looks like we have similar FET schedule. Good luck in your FET too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->