How many of you dont bother with sleep training ??

kalou1972

Mummy to Miller & TTC #2
Reaction score
DO many of you ladies still just rock to sleep rather than teaching to self settle ????

Should i be just continuing what i do and stop stressing ?? ( ie rock LO to sleep and when he wakes bring into out bed ??)

We are obviously both happier with the latter....but should i be sleep trining ???

I don't rock Ruby to sleep but she has her dummy for sleep times still, and on the handful of times she has woken up in the night and not easily settled, she comes into our bed. I will never sleep train, I just don't think it's a very nice thing to do.

I guess I see it that you can't 'train' your baby to do anything, you can't train them to crawl, sit up, walk, talk, climb, use cutlery, you can only gently encourage them in the right direction when they start showing the signs that they are ready to do it themselves. Trying to 'train' them before they are ready on a physical, emotional and mental level, is pointless. Just because they may not *need* food overnight, doesn't mean they might not wake up thirsty.. or have a bad dream and need a reassuring cuddle from someone that loves them.

Somewhere along the way, we as adults have decided that our babies should sleep to our patterns, because they are what is *right*. when really, whats right for us, might not be whats right for our babies at all.

I think if its causing you stress and worry trying to change something that is currently working for you, then its not worth changing. It doesn't matter what everyone else does, or doesn't do, because they arn't in your home night after night. If its not working for you anymore, then thats different, but if its just a case of you feeling like you 'should' be doing x, y & z, even though it stresses you out, then forget about it, and enjoy your cuddle time. Lifes to short, and they grow to quickly,

I guess I see it that you can't 'train' your baby to do anything, you can't train them to crawl, sit up, walk, talk, climb, use cutlery, you can only gently encourage them in the right direction when they start showing the signs that they are ready to do it themselves. Trying to 'train' them before they are ready on a physical, emotional and mental level, is pointless. Just because they may not *need* food overnight, doesn't mean they might not wake up thirsty.. or have a bad dream and need a reassuring cuddle from someone that loves them.

Somewhere along the way, we as adults have decided that our babies should sleep to our patterns, because they are what is *right*. when really, whats right for us, might not be whats right for our babies at all.

I think if its causing you stress and worry trying to change something that is currently working for you, then its not worth changing. It doesn't matter what everyone else does, or doesn't do, because they arn't in your home night after night. If its not working for you anymore, then thats different, but if its just a case of you feeling like you 'should' be doing x, y & z, even though it stresses you out, then forget about it, and enjoy your cuddle time. Lifes to short, and they grow to quickly,

Hmmmm... i am tending to feel you are right.

I suppose peer pressure from everyoine else doesnt help either ( mums...friends etc all asking if sleeping thru ).....makes me feel a bit of a failure !xxxxx

Oh hun, if it upsets you, don't do it. Your baby will sleep through when ready and if it isn't a problem for your LO to be in your bed then who cares what the others around you think. A mother's job is to comfort, protect and guide her children, not to force them to sleep because they are tired or whatever and your instincts seem to be telling you "sleep training" is a no no... so go with your gut.

K sleeps well and I've never done any "sleep training" or anything. She did what she needed at the time, and that is fine by me.

Hmmmm... i am tending to feel you are right.

I suppose peer pressure from everyoine else doesnt help either ( mums...friends etc all asking if sleeping thru ).....makes me feel a bit of a failure !xxxxx

pffft, that question needs to be banned from asking mum's of children under 3yrs of age! :lol: Please don't feel a failure at all,. you'd be surprised, the majority of babies arn't actually sleeping through the night, its just the lucky mums of the ones that are, tend to be louder when talking about it. :winkwink:

I wont be sleep training but i dont need to, shes slept 12 hours for the past 6 weeks. But i did encourage good sleeping habits from birth and its payed off.

If the way your lo is going to sleep at present is causing you problems, then it might be a good idea to think of other ways to settle her. However if you are happy with rocking her etc then carry on!

The amount of times I've been told I should do this, do that or do the other is ridiculous! I work on the principal that if I'm happy and my child is happy, then everyone else can go jump. If I don't think it's broke, then I don't need to fix it imo x x

I can't see us going down the sleep training route. A few times when I've been really tired I've read up on it, but I just know I could never actually bring myself to do it. And I really don't see the need. Like Kota said, they grow up fast enough as it is!

We do bedtime routine and LO is always asleep at the end of her bottle. She wakes between 2am-4am for a feed, and sometimes takes a while to go back down. But never through crying - always because she's wide awake and wanting to 'chat'/play!

She's also teething now, and I think she deserves as many cuddles as she can cram in. Even if that is at 4am.

Me. To be honest it's getting to a stage where I'm not completely happy with it as naps are really becoming a pain in the arse. But all sleep training really works my LO up. I just don't think it works with him and I'm no longer willing to try as he scratches his ezcema until his whole cheek is bleeding and this causes further problems which hinder sleep - pain and itching etc.

I think it depends on whether it will benefit you and your Lo.

I work so need to LO to at least sleep most of the night. When I was waking quite regularly it was causing me to be sleep deprived and my driving was getting pretty bad, to the point where i had to stop driving until it was solved otherwise i thought i would cause an accident

I dont rock to sleep as Omar never needed it. But he cant self settle in his cot since he was 8.5 months. I just put him on our bed, sing & soft play with him until he's he falls asleep, then I move him to his cot which is still in our room. We co-sleep every morning & we love it. I didnt use any sleep training as it doesnt fit in our life & we'r fine with Omar's sleeping habits & routine. xx

I think it depends on whether it will benefit you and your Lo.

I work so need to LO to at least sleep most of the night. When I was waking quite regularly it was causing me to be sleep deprived and my driving was getting pretty bad, to the point where i had to stop driving until it was solved otherwise i thought i would cause an accident

I'm back in 3 wks.......i also drive alot x

We never have yet. He doesn't sleep very well (3-10x a night) but that's a choice I make. One problem however is that I have let him get away with a swaddle for 10 months and last night he broke out 4 times, so we'll need to stop today (I'm nervous for 1st nap!). That might have to include some sort of 'training' because realistically, a 28lb baby cannot stay swaddled any longer, LOL.

Forgot to add: I'd love to do what you do and bring her into our bed when she wakes. But she's never been interested in cosleeping at all! She shuns us in favour of her enormous cot! :haha:

we haven't done any sleep training, I'd be lying to say I hadn't thought about it but I think thats because I feel others think I should rather than me wanting too do it (does that make sense? lol )

I say just do what is best for you and your little one

I wouldn't say we sleep trained but then I would never bring him into our bed, or rock him to sleep (not since he was a newborn and learnt to self settle). Jacob has his dummy and if he can't sleep i'll sit next to his bed until he drifts back off.

as you know hun i did cc with lo but that because it worked for him!! if like you he just continued to get hysterical then i probably would have stopped!!

if you dont feel like you want to do it then dont, its nothing to do with other people so dont feel you should if you actually dont want to!!! if your happy with the way things are then i wouldnt worry

i've never done sleep training. bella can self settle, but often she needs cuddles to sleep which is fine with me.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->