How many of you dont bother with sleep training ??

I guess I see it that you can't 'train' your baby to do anything, you can't train them to crawl, sit up, walk, talk, climb, use cutlery, you can only gently encourage them in the right direction when they start showing the signs that they are ready to do it themselves. Trying to 'train' them before they are ready on a physical, emotional and mental level, is pointless. Just because they may not *need* food overnight, doesn't mean they might not wake up thirsty.. or have a bad dream and need a reassuring cuddle from someone that loves them.

Somewhere along the way, we as adults have decided that our babies should sleep to our patterns, because they are what is *right*. when really, whats right for us, might not be whats right for our babies at all.

I think if its causing you stress and worry trying to change something that is currently working for you, then its not worth changing. It doesn't matter what everyone else does, or doesn't do, because they arn't in your home night after night. If its not working for you anymore, then thats different, but if its just a case of you feeling like you 'should' be doing x, y & z, even though it stresses you out, then forget about it, and enjoy your cuddle time. Lifes to short, and they grow to quickly,

Lots of good points here, as baby's they are just doing what is natural and we can show them things but it's up to them to actually do it. I agree that you shouldn't stress or worry to much about the smaller things. Life is too short!

charlies 9 months and still a pain with his sleep. he doesnt sleep through, still has one bottle in the night at some point (would probably have more but i refuse to feed him more then once at this age!)
he wakes a lot some times in the night. i usualy either feed or bring him into our bed. i dont rock him, just lay him next to me or hold him. its the same for naps too. i havent sleep trained yet as when he crys he really goes to town. he screams and the last time i left him to cry he was sick!
ive been tempted to cc or cio, but hes teething, so leaving him to cry seams mean when he might actualy be really upset and in pain when he wakes at night.
i keep a drink next to my bed and often wake up thirsty and drink it, so again, i feed him at night as if i wake thirsty then he could too.
hes still so young, he cant tell me whats wrong. it is frustrating and i always get people asking me how he sleeps etc

Yeah, I don't think the constant questioning from people helps. It's always the first thing I get asked: "is she in her own room, is she sleeping through?" I know folk are just making conversation, but it gets really old!

...... But i did encourage good sleeping habits from birth and its payed off.

I think there are many views on what constitutes "sleep training" and I'm sure many of them do not involve rigid rules, CIO or CC. We do as lozzy stated above - we encourage good sleeping habits and that includes self settling. I think you can practice this skill in increments as with any other new skill while knowing your own child's limits and having reasonable expectations. Just go slow and if you aren't comfortable - change it up...as long as everyones happy and healthy then there is no rush.

Another thing to consider is if he's going to go to be going to nursary/day home - we feel its important for our son know how to self settle and have good sleep habit before I go back to work. Otherwise I would worry about the stress on him of suddenly being expected to go down easily for naps. In such an instance I do think that there is some time pressure and the earlier you can start to gently work on skills like self settling the better IMO.

:flower:

We've had a routine from 10 weeks but its only in the last couple of months that he has sf settled and that's a bit hit and miss, sometimes he will and sometmes he won't. He refuses to self settle for naps and has been in nursery, the staff were happy to continue rocking him as we did.

I couldn't do CC or CIO , I tired CC and gave up after a few minutes. To me it was pointless putting us all through that when I knew a cuddle wwould settle him, however long that takes.

In saying that, Harry has slept 10-12 hours since he was about 5 months old, only occasionally waking up during a growth spurt or teething.

nope no sleep training here and never will - if zacoiya wants to be rocked/cuddles to sleep then he will :)

i didnt do sleep training...up untill a week ago when ive had over a year wih a baby who doesnt sleep! we did controlled cring and 3rd night in, she only stirred for 10 mins and was back to sleep. this is a baby who has never slept through a night in her life was up for hours on end like block of 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. not all babies need teaching how to sleep, but i can tell you some most certainly do and mine was one of them!! she wasnt getting the sleep she needed and neither was i, neither of us happy so it was best for all. and it worked! never say never ladies, some babies just need a helping hand to learn this new skill called SLEEP :flower:

I do not do any type of sleep training, and I find sleep training to be a waste of time and rather silly. All the research shows that a baby will STTN when they are biologically ready to do so, and sleep training isn't training a baby to sleep, it's making a baby think you're not coming back for them and they fall asleep distressed. Personally I treat my kids like a human and not like a dog, I don't train my kids in any aspect of their lives, I teach them. My ds1 started to STTN on his own at 20 months, which is a normal time for STTN. He sleeps 12 hours a night straight. ds2 is 11 months and doesn't fall asleep on his own yet, and I just hold him and sing to him and he's out in about 5-10 minutes and then I lay him down. All kids will eventually STTN, there is no need to rush them into something they're not ready for.

I know that some of the things I said, especially the dog part, may sound rude. I do not judge those who sleep train nor am I trying to be rude at all. This is just how I see it and how I feel about sleep traning.

All opinions welcome here !!

Need all the help and advice i can get !!!xx

I've never done any training. He didn't STTN until he was a year old because he was waking up at night hungry and needing to eat. I'd feed him and he'd go right back to bed. When he was a little over a year old, he suddenly stopped needing to eat at night. I didn't have to 'do' anything. I always fed/rocked/whatever he needed to help him fall asleep and as he got older he needed less help. Often I can just put him in the crib and he'll fall asleep on his own. I didn't have to do anything except always give him whatever he needed.

https://www.babysleepsite.com/awake-training-for-parents/

hehe

I never sleep-trained any of my babies. They sleep in their cribs when they want, in our beds when they needed too, and in my arms if they needed to be in their mamma's arms. My two oldest sleep in their own beds, in their own rooms without a fuss...and have been since they were two years old. This time in their lives does not last long at all, and I find it is only an issue, if I make it an issue.

We don't use sleep training. It's not because we "don't bother", sleep training seems to be an easy option compared to a year of bad sleep! Personally I think that a baby needing help to go to sleep is just as valid a need as hunger and as a mother it's my job to provide for their needs. I find the idea of most forms of sleep training rather harsh. Babies will sleep through when they are ready. Biologically their body clock doesn't even mature until 10-11 months.

I don't do any sleep training with Tom - I have thought about it at 2am but I know I couldn't leave him to cry when it's my job as his mummy to comfort him when he needs it.

We've had a bedtime routine and encouraged good sleep habits from 2 weeks old and he goes done at bedtime fine. It's from 1 or 2am that he's unsettled and often needs a cuddle to resettle him.

I'd do what you're happy with and stuff what other people think. I tell people Tom's sleep is hit and miss when they ask cos it's the truth.

Do what works for you. It's your baby, your nighttimes, your evenings and your routine. As far as I'm aware, adults don't need rocking to sleep so they'll do it in their own time.

We either feed Molly to sleep or put her down very groggy for bedtime. In the day, she usually goes off for a nap in the pushchair.. I time our walk out every day to when she has her naps. It works for us but won't for everyone. My mum always used to rock me to sleep and got stick for it, everyone's situation is different.

I don't believe in sleep training. I wouldn't 'train' her to do anything else..
I've always had a bedtime routine, her sleeping was good at first but then awful. She's getting better now, she often sleeps a 7 hour stretch without waking and sometimes up to 9 hours. I think she'll learn in her own time, I don't think it's worth upsetting her over.

we just let Ellie settle herself as in special care for the 1st few weeks we werent ablt to cuddle Ellie alot and she was tube fed in her incubator and now she just settles herseld and she has sorted her own routine out and the same for Mia we just let her settle herself into a routine. Plus yeah the does yout baby sleep though should be banned Mia still doesnt sleep though and shes 6 hahaha x

I've had moments when I thought to myself 'I should do some kind of sleep training', and, well, I just never got around to it. It was so easy to comfort her in the night with a bit of milk and just gradually she learnt to settle herself. OK it took a while, she didn't sleep through properly (7-6ish) for the first time until she was 9 months old, and its only in the last month or so that its more frequent. Plenty of the usual 'advice' from friends and in-laws - she should be sleeping through by now, etc - but its not them who is getting up in the night so why do they care? Do what is right for you and chances are he'll learn himself soon enough anyway :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"