• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many of you had a completely natural birth?

i consider a natural birth to be a vaginal birth. a drug free birth is another thing all together. most medical literature phrases it like this too. But its entirely up to each of us to define our birth... thats if we even want to define it and give a name to it.

I think that people do get upset by post like this. not blaming the OP but lets face it anyone who has been on this site for a while knows how these posts tend to go. someone will say something.. perhaps word it badly and another person takes offense and it goes on until perhaps the orginal question is lost. our births are an emotional topic so its only natural that our responses are filled with emotions too.

I did not have a natural birth nor a pain free birth. It was my intension to have a waterbirth in a birthing centre with minimal drugs.. perhaps just G&A (with i'd still count as natural). However i developed obstetric cholestasis and had to be induced, had pethadine as too exhausted from being awake so long to cope with the pain, pushed for 2 hours, taken to theatre, spinal block, failed forceps attempt and final emergency c section. So not exactly natural. It has taken me a long time to come to terms with my son's birth. Am i a little envious of you ladies who describe your births as wonderful experiences and you managed with no pain relief?... well yes. i'm only human after all and i suppose when you read that someone had this birth its hard on you. you feel your body failed you, why couldn't mine be like that. BUT i've come to realise that (for me) all that matters is that my son is healthy and so am i.

Yeah agree with you ju_bubbs about not been able talk about it, of course you can share your experience :flower: but the op has said how she thinks its important to some people to have a natural birth..... this s what I'm finding hard to understand...... Surely there's nothing more important than having your baby in your send safe and sound and not matter how they got there

Well of course it is important!! Having expectations for their labors is soooo natural in itself. Planning ahead, wanting something, working towards it... I see absolutely no harm?? That can be said for those planning a csection or for an epidural.

Laboring and birth is an amazing and empowering experience for many women, but it isn't the most empowering for women, period, and for some women, it is the exact opposite, and not just because of drugs or intervention. It is a lot more complicated and there are so many factors that prevent such a black and white perspective on birthing.

To OP, maybe you should PM one of the mods and ask them to move this to the home and natural birthing section?

Laboring and birth is an amazing and empowering experience for many women, but it isn't the most empowering for women, period, and for some women, it is the exact opposite, and not just because of drugs or intervention. It is a lot more complicated and there are so many factors that prevent such a black and white perspective on birthing.

I agree, for me it was the most dis-empowering (?) experience of my life, a massive violation of just... everything! So I'm glad to see that some women had positive experiences (whether completely drug-free or high as a kite!)

Perhaps you are right. This is just my own experience with my son. I feel I would not come out quite as empowered if it hadn't been an intervention and drug free birth. :flower:

This thread was honestly never meant to pass judgement, I was just curious to see.

Yeah agree with you ju_bubbs about not been able talk about it, of course you can share your experience :flower: but the op has said how she thinks its important to some people to have a natural birth..... this s what I'm finding hard to understand...... Surely there's nothing more important than having your baby in your send safe and sound and not matter how they got there

I can understand where she is coming from. I wanted as little intervention as possible and definitely not an epidural if could be helped.

But I went into the delivery suite with an open mind and made my decisions as I went along.

Hopefully if I have another I will be able to do it drug and intervention free, but I wouldn't put my baby at risk to do that and I'm sure none of the other ladies would either.

I have been through probably the worst thing possible to happen to a Mummy, twice (my baby girls grew their wings inside their tummy). I have also had an emergency section due to the distress one of my other girls was in. So I of course think/know that the most important thing is to get baby out safely and make sure mum is safe too, however it doesnt stop other things being important to me as well, for ME it is important to have a natural birth because I hated the effect the drugs had on me, I hate interventions because my two girls died due to medical negligence that means I dont trust doctors and so for me the most positive experience is one without drugs and without intervention, but if I need either I would within a blink of an eye.

What is important to the mother, is not a one or the other situation, both can be but I have no doubt every woman here would put baby and her own safety way before having a natural birth.

Well of course it is important!! Having expectations for their labors is soooo natural in itself. Planning ahead, wanting something, working towards it... I see absolutely no harm?? That can be said for those planning a csection or for an epidural.

I actually had no plan, didn't fantasize about the perfect birth, had no expectations, didn't remember much from my birthing classes or any of that breathing business. From the get go, I simply held the attitude that I would just do what had to be done and deal with things as they came. If I had needed drugs, I would have taken them, if I had needed medical intervention for myself or my baby's health, I would have accepted it.

Even though I probably had one of those births a lot of women envy, I think the fact that I didn't have lofty expectations made it so much easier for me to just get into the groove of things and for my body to do what it had to do. That is just my one personal experience mind you!

Why does it matter? As long as they arrive safely they could of given and done anything to me and I wouldn't of cared.

While I agree a safe baby is the MOST important thing, I am personally concerned about potential long-term side effects on myself from things such as epidurals. And for those of us crossing fingers and toes for a birth without medication, I think it gives us some hope to hear that yes, there are people out there in the modern world who have managed to do just that. If I need something to keep the baby safe I'll take it. But if a few hours of personal agony gives me even a slightly better chance of making a more complete or faster recovery I'll do my very best to just grin (or more likely scream :haha: and bear it. I'm much more afraid of facing my first few days with a newborn with a blinding headache than I am of labor, and I'm unwilling to accept even the slightest whisper of a risk of increasing my chance of a c-section. Granted, I may wind up needing every type of intervention known to man, but it is still comforting to hear that some people have managed the sort of delivery I'm hoping for!

I didn't have a choice. I got sudden severe pre-eclampsia and they had to take him via emergency c-section at 33 weeks. He was only 3 lbs 10 oz at birth and probably wouldn't have survived induction.

I am glad that we have the medical technology available as me and or my baby would have died without intervention, but I totally respect the women who are able to go it au naturale. :)

But I will tell you- if you do have to have a section it is really not that bad. I was expecting the worst, and I promise- it was NOTHING like what I though it would be. I wasn't even taking painkillers when I left the hospital. So don't be terrified if you do end up having to have one.

I really don't see the harm in asking. I had a variety of horrible interventions that made my son's birth the worst day of my life, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I don't see what's wrong with her asking about those who had 100% natural (whatever that may be;)) and wanting to hear about it. I wish I could respond "yes" to this thread but I can't, but it still makes me warm & gooey inside (LOL) to see that some women achieved what I didn't get.

I kind of feel like the girl with the broken ankle watching the other marathoners cross the finish line, iykwim? Sure, it sucks to not be a part of it, but I am very happy for those who made it.

totally how i feel. My friends who had great natural births i feel so happy for BUT i wish i could tell the same story.

Perhaps you are right. This is just my own experience with my son. I feel I would not come out quite as empowered if it hadn't been an intervention and drug free birth. :flower:

This thread was honestly never meant to pass judgement, I was just curious to see.

After my son was born, I was amazed at what my body did, so I do understand where you are coming from. I actually went into a trance-sleep like state between contractions and pushes, even if it was only a minute or so between them. It was weirdly freaky in hindsight! It was the ultimate cat nap!

I really don't see the harm in asking. I had a variety of horrible interventions that made my son's birth the worst day of my life, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I don't see what's wrong with her asking about those who had 100% natural (whatever that may be;)) and wanting to hear about it. I wish I could respond "yes" to this thread but I can't, but it still makes me warm & gooey inside (LOL) to see that some women achieved what I didn't get.

I kind of feel like the girl with the broken ankle watching the other marathoners cross the finish line, iykwim? Sure, it sucks to not be a part of it, but I am very happy for those who made it.

Yeah I agree with you to. What I am saying or even asking is, why does it matter? I really don't understand why it matters if you have a labour with no intervention or drugs cus at the end of it weather there was intervention/ drugs or no intervention/drugs your going get your baby...... Isnt that what labours all about? Not weather intervention or drugs were needed?

After my son was born, I was amazed at what my body did, so I do understand where you are coming from. I actually went into a trance-sleep like state between contractions and pushes, even if it was only a minute or so between them. It was weirdly freaky in hindsight! It was the ultimate cat nap!

I was snoring and dreaming between pushes lmao!

Yeah I agree with you to. What I am saying or even asking is, why does it matter? I really don't understand why it matters if you have a labour with no intervention or drugs cus at the end of it weather there was intervention/ drugs or no intervention/drugs your going get your baby...... Isnt that what labours all about? Not weather intervention or drugs were needed?

Well, it depends. My baby experienced complications from my induction/epidural so to me, yes, drugs/interventions are a HUGE deal. Some women seem to forget that those 1/100 statistics have a name...

I think I'm gunna get out of here while everything is still being civil! :haha:

I would not have felt as good or as strong if I had had drugs. I wanted to do it exactly as nature intended it. I didnt want to be hooked to an IV, put on a table, with forceps etc etc... It just was not something I wanted! And yes, what I want does matter when it comes to birth, because it is my body.

Some women are all for the drugs, it makes them relax and gives them what THEY need. Awesome! Perfect for them. I am glad they made whatever choice was best for their bodies.

I am very confused by what you mean, honestly. Like... How can it not matter to a mother, when it is her body going through an incredible change and process? I want to be present, with my body, with my baby, with the pain, with it all. Having a natural birth does matter if in the end it will make me feel that way.

I think I'm gunna get out of here while everything is still being civil! :haha:

Haha me too! I don't normally reply to threads like this, I just keep my opinion to myself usually and try understand both sides.

It's just I look at my friend and see what she had go through and I look at my child and think how lucky we were. All a bit sensitive. And I'm on my period :haha:
:flower: I'm off to reply to threads I won't get upset by x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"