• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many of you had a completely natural birth?

Whilst I don't think there is anything wrong with pain releif I do kind of wish that women in general had more faith in themselves and their bodies rather then just assuming they will have a epi from the get go.

I found I actually enjoyed my labour with willow and the more I got into ny head the less I needed the GA

Some people seem to believe that as soon as you get pregnant all that matters is the baby, and you are selfish to feel otherwise.

Why does it matter? As long as they arrive safely they could of given and done anything to me and I wouldn't of cared.

If it doesn't matter to you then you don't really apply to any of my questions. :flower: it matters to some mothers.

I don't understand why it matters so much though :wacko:
Why does it matter?
I think to most mums all that MATTERS is that they have their baby in their arms!

Like saphire says, I hope no mums on here are reading this because some mums don't gave a choice and doesnt go so plain sailing as you nay want or dream.

I'm feeling sensitive about this because I have a friend who had a very distressed birth and resulted in their son being very poorly and has only just heen able come home after 6 weeks. So, imo, no it doesn't matter how the yell our babies arrive into our arms as long as the baby is ok and not if we are ok in how they arrived!
Do you see how conflicting the first two paragraghs of your post are? You dobt understand why it should matter, yet it might offend some people because it DID matter and they didnt get what they wanted in their own labours.

It matters to me. Of course it should matter to me. Labour is hte most empowering experience a woman can ever have. I know I would be devastated if I had many interventions. I invision a drug free labour, natural at home. It is not just a dream, it is reality! Of course there are some occasions where natural births cannot happen - say csections - but otherwords it really doesnt need to be viewed as a pipe dream for any one!!

I am not saying tha natural is obviously superior. :shrug: i am just saying it needn't be a touchy subject for those that actively chose drugs. :shrug: and those that had interventions they couldnt control, well, I cant see why they would be offended either, because it wasnt in there control and no blame could be on them.

well youve offended me. YOU asked a question..I told you my experience then you commented that it wasnt natural. As far as im concerned gas and air didnt do anything exept make my voice funny and even if you dont consider it a natural birth, I do. As much as you say people should appreciate your opinion of what is 'natural' I think you should fully appreciate others opinion of what 'natural' is. And I agree wih others, such a subjective subject..and what does it matter anyway? Its treads like this that make people feel like a failure for having meds, and for those suffering with PND its not exactly what they would want to hear.

It kind of seems to me that what matters is how a mother feels about her birth. I know of some people (I can think of two in particular) who have had entirely 'natural' births becasue their labours have been so quick that they have not even had the opportunity to use intervention (one was a breech delivery that they didn't know was breech) and both have actually felt quite traumatised by the experience because they felt so out of control. On the other hand, I know of people who have had emergency C Sections and feel quite happy with their birthing experiences. I think it's such a subjective thing that you can only really speak for your own experiences.

Whilst I don't think there is anything wrong with pain releif I do kind of wish that women in general had more faith in themselves and their bodies rather then just assuming they will have a epi from the get go.

I found I actually enjoyed my labour with willow and the more I got into ny head the less I needed the GA

I guess spme people juat dont see the point in dealing with the pain if they dont have to :shrug: Baby is going to come out either way so i guess their view is to make it as painless and relaxing as possible. Me? Just the thought of that needle makes me feel :wacko::wacko: lol, I think I'd pass out before they even got it into me :haha:

Why does it matter? As long as they arrive safely they could of given and done anything to me and I wouldn't of cared.

If it doesn't matter to you then you don't really apply to any of my questions. :flower: it matters to some mothers.

Why does it matter?
I think to most mums all that MATTERS is that they have their baby in their arms!

Like saphire says, I hope no mums on here are reading this because some mums don't gave a choice and doesnt go so plain sailing as you nay want or dream.

I'm feeling sensitive about this because I have a friend who had a very distressed birth and resulted in their son being very poorly and has only just heen able come home after 6 weeks. So, imo, no it doesn't matter how the yell our babies arrive into our arms as long as the baby is ok and not if we are ok in how they arrived!
Do you see how conflicting the first two paragraghs of your post are? You dobt understand why it should matter, yet it might offend some people because it DID matter and they didnt get what they wanted in their own labours.

It matters to me. Of course it should matter to me. Labour is hte most empowering experience a woman can ever have. I know I would be devastated if I had many interventions. I invision a drug free labour, natural at home. It is not just a dream, it is reality! Of course there are some occasions where natural births cannot happen - say csections - but otherwords it really doesnt need to be viewed as a pipe dream for any one!!

I am not saying tha natural is obviously superior. :shrug: i am just saying it needn't be a touchy subject for those that actively chose drugs. :shrug: and those that had interventions they couldnt control, well, I cant see why they would be offended either, because it wasnt in there control and no blame could be on them.

well youve offended me. YOU asked a question..I told you my experience then you commented that it wasnt natural. As far as im concerned gas and air didnt do anything exept make my voice funny and even if you dont consider it a natural birth, I do. As much as you say people should appreciate your opinion of what is 'natural' I think you should fully appreciate others opinion of what 'natural' is. And I agree wih others, such a subjective subject..and what does it matter anyway? Its treads like this that make people feel like a failure for having meds, and for those suffering with PND its not exactly what they would want to hear.

I wouldn't argue with her ladies.

She (hot tea) likes to start and continue controversial threads :hugs:

completely "natural" by definition is giving birth at home with no midwives there because technically they're medical staff aren't they same with a hospital whats natural about a hospital? giving birth is a natural birth full stop unless you pull the baby out of your ear or you use magic, I had an episiotomy and would have taken an epidural if I could have, I consider my birth natural, I would have considered it as the same thing if I had gone for a c-section, there is no such thing as un-natural childbirth imo there are only un-natural views and expectations on what people should do with their own bodies.

I feel that I had as natural a birth as possible for a breech delivery, I did have an episiotomy and a couple of puffs on the gas and air though.

Me too :thumbup:
My LO was footling breech. I had a little bit of G&A, and I had to have an episiotomy too because he was facing the wrong way and needed turning. Feet first and back to front - awkward little monkey!
xx

Every person is different and evey baby is too,size wise and position wise (back to back) some people experience more pain than others, some people cope better, dont put a downer on other peoples birth experiences. You dont get a gold medal for having no meds, at the end of the day you get a beautiful baby and thats much better than a blue peter badge!

As I said to Fabby, I understand where you are coming from because ideally I would have wanted an intervention and drug free birth. But unfortunately that didn't happen for me.

But what I think Fabby is trying to say is that if you get yourself all hyped up for a completely natural birth, but for whatever reason that doesn't happen - will you be disappointed? Will it matter to you when you are holding your gorgeous, healthy little baby in your arms at the end of it?

That's why I didn't make a birth plan. I made a decision to go with the flow and that way I knew I would be happy whatever the outcome - and I was :)

me completely natural went into labour with my 1st, mia at 34 weeks and had mild contractions from 3am to 4.30pm then I had intense contractions straight away and I was told I was 10 cm dilated to push lol and I loved the experience I felt like I remembered it all was only pushing for 1hour 18 mins dont get me wrong when the baby is crowning its bloody stingy lol

(I had 2 paracetamol lol does that count!!)

Why does it matter?

I wouldn't argue with her ladies.

She (hot tea) likes to start and continue controversial threads :hugs:

ah thanks for the heads up. This is the first post I have seen on BnB thats has properly wound me up...

It kind of seems to me that what matters is how a mother feels about her birth. I know of some people (I can think of two in particular) who have had entirely 'natural' births becasue their labours have been so quick that they have not even had the opportunity to use intervention (one was a breech delivery that they didn't know was breech) and both have actually felt quite traumatised by the experience because they felt so out of control. On the other hand, I know of people who have had emergency C Sections and feel quite happy with their birthing experiences. I think it's such a subjective thing that you can only really speak for your own experiences.

Yes this exactly. My first birth I hated, lots of inteventions, my leg falling off the bed because epi had only worked one side and shouted at a lot by the mw (stuff like stop being stupid there is no time for breathing), made it really traumatising for me, yet my emergency section due to baby's distress was actually a good experience. My other three births were fab too.

me completely natural went into labour with my 1st, mia at 34 weeks and had mild contractions from 3am to 4.30pm then I had intense contractions straight away and I was told I was 10 cm dilated to push lol and I loved the experience I felt like I remembered it all was only pushing for 1hour 18 mins dont get me wrong when the baby is crowning its bloody stingy lol

(I had 2 paracetamol lol does that count!!)

Apparently so PFFT..They dont even sort my headache out :haha:

I guess spme people juat dont see the point in dealing with the pain if they dont have to :shrug: Baby is going to come out either way so i guess their view is to make it as painless and relaxing as possible. Me? Just the thought of that needle makes me feel :wacko::wacko: lol, I think I'd pass out before they even got it into me :haha:

The only problem with that is that there are risks with intervention.

From a purely selfish point for myself I would have had a epidural so it didn't hurt but from my epidural experience with river i knew I couldn't have another one SD I felt the effects on my labour and river wernt worth me having no pain.

That's just based on my experience with s drug labour

completely "natural" by definition is giving birth at home with no midwives there because technically they're medical staff aren't they same with a hospital whats natural about a hospital? giving birth is a natural birth full stop unless you pull the baby out of your ear or you use magic, I had an episiotomy and would have taken an epidural if I could have, I consider my birth natural, I would have considered it as the same thing if I had gone for a c-section, there is no such thing as un-natural childbirth imo there are only un-natural views and expectations on what people should do with their own bodies.

:thumbup:

As I said to Fabby, I understand where you are coming from because ideally I would have wanted an intervention and drug free birth. But unfortunately that didn't happen for me.

But what I think Fabby is trying to say is that if you get yourself all hyped up for a completely natural birth, but for whatever reason that doesn't happen - will you be disappointed? Will it matter to you when you are holding your gorgeous, healthy little baby in your arms at the end of it?

That's why I didn't make a birth plan. I made a decision to go with the flow and that way I knew I would be happy whatever the outcome - and I was :)

This is exactly what I mean! Thanks betty! Glad someone could understand where I was coming from and put it in a different word context.

Knew I couldnt help myself nosing back!

:thumbup:

Brilliantly put! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"