How many outfits to take to hospital for baby??

Brz04

Reaction score
I guess I always just assumed I'd need to only bring a going home outfit for baby (one NB size outfit and one 0-3 size outfit), but I have friends on Facebook who just had babies and it seems like all their babies have several different outfits they change them into while staying in the hospital!! I always thought the babies just wore diapers and hats/blankets provided by hospital the whole time until they go home? How many outfits do I need to bring for him for the hospital stay? I'm in the US so I think we stay in hospital for 2-4 days (2 days for vaginal delivery and 4 for csection).

That's what I'll be doing . I'm bringing only 3 diaper shirts and recievibg blankets . The hospital here I know is kept really warm so they don't need clothes .

I think people do it more to have fun dressing baby then them actually needing clothes . Plus the less laundry you have to do from trying to figure out diapers the better

With my babies the hospital provided singlets and blankets and hats so it was easier to just use those . I took two outfits with me for coming home . Saves babies clothes getting mixed up with the hospitals wash too IMO . As PP said i think people bring more clothes more for cuteness factor of dressing baby x

I'm not sure, but I'm also in the US and I've packed 3 onesies and 3 long sleeved, footed onesies (all newborn sized). Along with hats, socks, mittens and hair bows for photos. I packed one velcro swaddle blanket, one big warm blanket, and one sleep sack. I think I've over packed really lol but hoping that's enough. :-s

I'm in the US and I've never heard of having to stay the 2 days for vaginal birth, a friend of mine just gave birth in August and she was discharged less than 24 hours later o.o But then again she and the baby were given a clear bill of health so that may be why.

Anyway, on subject, I am only planning on bringing the take home outfit, one of each size like you, and she'll either wear that for a majority of the time or she'll just wear the blanket, and maybe a plain onesie underneath. The rest of the time she's going to be swaddled so I don't see the point in fussing over outfits.

I didn't bring anything last time and i will only bring the going home outfit this time as well. The hospital provided what was needed and in figure if they keep him naked and I think he needs a onesie or sleeper ill just have DH bring it when he comes to see us (we have a 3 y/I that will need to go home haha)

We stay 2 days for a vaginal & are discharged only if we feel up to it. I'm in the US.

I'm taking one outfit. The hospital provided sleeper sets with my first so I'm assuming they'll do it again. I'm sure paying them enough. If they don't or I don't feel they are warm enough, I live 5 min away.

We stay 2 days for a vaginal & are discharged only if we feel up to it. I'm in the US.

I'm taking one outfit. The hospital provided sleeper sets with my first so I'm assuming they'll do it again. I'm sure paying them enough. If they don't or I don't feel they are warm enough, I live 5 min away.

Hahah!! That's how I feel! Darn it, I'm paying you for this. You could provide me with toothpaste and a friggin onesie!

Hahah!! That's how I feel! Darn it, I'm paying you for this. You could provide me with toothpaste and a friggin onesie!

Lol! And I'm not taking pads either so hand them over!

I'm in the US and talked to my hospital on Saturday. They provide everything for me and baby, unless I want my own things. I'll be bringing a newborn outfit and a 0-3 month outfit for going home as we don't know what size he will be in.

My hospital provided long-sleeved type shirts and then she just wore her diaper. She was always bundled up like a burrito so she didn't need any real outfits. Oh, and she also got a beanie type hat.

The hospital seriously provided just about everything we needed during our stay. I used my toiletries and cellphone charger, and then our discharge outfits. Next time I'm packing light! (I had a 3 night stay, but only because I was admitted late on the first day)

I'm in Ireland, but we have a similar stay duration. Our hospitals, however, do not supply anything! We have to bring sheets for the cots and we were told 6 vests and 6 onesies, plus the hats and mitts to go along with them.

And even at that, we're advised we may have to send home washing during our stay. I live around the corner from the hospital and OH gets kicked out for 4 hours during the day and all night, so I'm not worried! Plenty of time for doing laundry!

I am in the US and my hospital says I will be staying 2 nights after vaginal delivery (that's what insurance usually pays for). It's nice because they monitor my post partum bleeding and make sure the baby is okay.

For baby, I am only bringing one snap t-shirt, one newborn sleeper, one 0-3 month sleeper, a zip up hoodie jacket, hats, socks, and a couple of blankets since she is being born in the Winter.

Otherwise, while she is in the hospital, the hospital prefers that she be in the clothing they give her and swaddled in a blanket because the docs and nurses need to check up on her every 2 hours so they need easy access.

US here also and they had everything that was needed for baby minus going home outfit and carseat, which is all you really NEED for baby. For my son I packed 1 NB size and 2 0-3 (he was estimated 12lbs). An extra change of clothes for ride home would be nice just in case baby spits up a lot and you need to change (which you will learn when you leave the house you always want a change of clothes for baby for those just in case moments so why would the hospital be any different?). I'm overpacking for baby by choice this time because she's my little girl and I want cute baby pictures! She's also my first girl and last baby so... You might also want a blanket to cover baby up when you go to bring baby home since they can't regulate their body temp and it's rough going from warmth into cold, into warmth, into cold, and into warmth again. They provided me with blankets from the hospital but they were rough hospital blankets, not the blankets they used to swaddle my son since they were higher quality and they didn't want to part with them. Other then that, it is a personal choice to bring anything more for baby. You don't need diapers, lotions or anything else for baby, either and they will likely send you home with tons of stuff so maybe bring an empty bag for that. They provided blankets, hats, kimono style long sleeve tshirts with built in mitts and the whole ward was kept at 73 - 74 degrees fahrenheit which caused me to feel overheated constantly! Focus on what YOU need to bring for you to feel comfortable for your stay and for baby bring 1 or 2 NB outfits and 1 0-3 size (that you will likely not need), a hat and a warm blanket.

my midwife said the hospital here provides something for baby to wear, but im still gonna take 3-4 outfits in NB/0-3 months because i have no idea how big this kid will be. i think they ask you to bring mittens and a hat tho.

I'm only taking 3 sleepsuits (and 3 vests to go with them obvs) as I'm hoping to leave same day, I'm not bothering with a proper outfit as he will be wearing a snowsuit when he leaves anyways. I had a 2 night stay with my dd and she went through around 10 sleepsuits because she couldn't stop being sick as she swallowed a lot of fluid during birth.

I guess I'll be packing light since we get discharged after 6 hours if everything is okay, didn't realise that wasn't normal :dohh: although I do live an hour and a half away from the hospital so may take a few outfits just incase we need to stay

I'm in the uk and with dd I took about 4 sleepsuits/onesies and 4 vests and a couple of hats/scratch mits etc. they don't provide clothes here as far as I'm aware.

I will be doing the same with this baby.

I expect to be in for 3 days. I'll be bringing:
4x long sleeved vests
4x pjs
4x cloth nappies
2 hats 2 blankets.

If I need anything else my OH can bring it from home ( we only live 10 minute drive from the hospital)

X

I've packed three baby vests, two babygrows, a newborn going home outfit and need to pack a 0-3 months going home outfit just in case she's too big. Also packed a blanket and shawl, a going home hat, a thinner hat to keep her head warm and a warm cardigan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->