How many oz?

mrsmummy2

Mum of 3 ❤
Reaction score
My 5 week old is taking roughly six 5oz bottles per 24 hours. When we upped it from 4oz to 5oz he was sleeping for around 4 hours before wanting a feed.. sometimes a little longer. Now he wants it every 3 hours.. his feeding schedule seems to go - 1am, 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm, but last night and tonight he has woken appearing to want another feed at 4am.. now from what I've read online it's supposed to be 2.5oz for each 1lb of weight. He was last weighed 1 week ago at 10lb 15oz (so basically 11lb) so that should be 27.5oz per 24 hours.. if he drains all his 6 bottles he's getting 30oz... so with that extra feed it seems very excesssive.

How much did your 5 week old/11lb baby eat? Its difficult to know by age as obviously he was a big baby when he was born (9lb10oz) so in comparison with a 6lb born baby things are very different!?

My 5 week old is taking roughly six 5oz bottles per 24 hours. When we upped it from 4oz to 5oz he was sleeping for around 4 hours before wanting a feed.. sometimes a little longer. Now he wants it every 3 hours.. his feeding schedule seems to go - 1am, 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm, but last night and tonight he has woken appearing to want another feed at 4am.. now from what I've read online it's supposed to be 2.5oz for each 1lb of weight. He was last weighed 1 week ago at 10lb 15oz (so basically 11lb) so that should be 27.5oz per 24 hours.. if he drains all his 6 bottles he's getting 30oz... so with that extra feed it seems very excesssive.

That calculation is a guide only. Don't forget babies have growth spurts during which they want extra food. Maybe after a few days wanting an extra feed he'll go back to just the 6 he was on.

My daughter eats well over those recommendations and at 10 months is still 25th percentile for weight. I wouldn’t worry about it, I think they eat what they need.

6 weeks old, 5oz, every 2-3ish hours - with a 6-8 hour gap overnight when he (usually) sleeps through. So approx 7 feeds every 24 hours. Drains every single one.

Hiya hon we just put Tommy on 5oz but he still only has 3 to 4oz.
I only moved him up 5 because it says in the tin that 8 week old babies shud be on 5oz but he just isnt a very hungry baby and we always end up throwing loads of formula down the sink.
I think those on the tin is just guidelines but every baby is different and some will have more and some will have less.

Enzo is only just short of 2 weeks old but he usually takes anywhere from 3.5oz - 4.5oz so I need to make up 5oz just incase he wants the higher amount, as I like them to leave a bit in the bottle to know they are satisfied lol I'm pretty sure from guidelines he gas a normal amount of milk, he also goes every 4 hours, but sometimes will only take 2oz and fall back to sleep, he will still sleep the 3-4 hours so I'm guessing the bigger feeds he has evens out the 2oz feeds to make it the right amount of ounces a day if that makes sense

I need to update what i said! I think Enzo is going through a growth spurt, hes draining 5oz bottles and usually takes half an ounce more, so 5 and a half oz every 4 hours at 17 days old! This seems like a lot of milk, but he holds it down! Based on his last weigh in 3 days ago he should be well over 10lb now, so I'm guessing hes a bigger baby with a bigger appetite :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->