How much activity is too much?

MEPride

Reaction score
I realize this depends on how active I was pre-pregnancy. I was pretty active: 10-11 hour work days (75% on my feet), swimming, jogging, biking...... I was training for a triathlon before I got pregnant. Would walk on average 5 miles a day.

But I wonder am I overdoing it now? I haven't had the TIME to exercise because I've been so busy with other things. Mother in the hospital, graduations, getting the nursery put together.... the last one has been the most time consuming. I built a built-in-daybed my first trimester. This trimester DH and I have ripped up carpeting, taken floor moulding off and installed new moulding, painted the ceiling, trim, and now walls. Been careful with proper ventilation and wearing masks for particulates...

I'm left pretty tired at the end of the day and try to rest and take naps when I can.

Can doing too much hurt my baby?

You sound like me. I'm still trying to be really active even though I am slowing a little due to my SPD grrrrrr. I'm still cycling with my 4 year old on the back to preschool and back, gardening, helping lay my patio (not so much the lifting) painting etc did an unexpected 6 mile walk yesterday. I've always been a practical person so feels weird if I wasn't hands on.
I just make sure I'm well hydrated and I know my limits. I make sure I'm bending my legs if I lift any thing and take a few extra breaks. My midwife hasn't told me not to so I've just carried on. It also helps me mentally to keep active as I suffer from anxiety so I like to keep busy x

Honestly I just listen to my body. Fatigue and exhaustion is to be expected but if I get dizzy or lightheaded or just cannot stand then I rest. If you overdo it, your body will knock you down lol trust me.

It's not going to hurt your baby, but it could hurt you for sure. Your body will retaliate if you overdo it, and it will leave you miserable. I don't think those tasks are too much to take on. I overdo it almost every day, though. I try to spend one day per week resting, but with four very young kids who are at home 24/7, there's no time for a nap or to sit down for a few hours or anything... Combine this with SPD and hip problems I've had since birth, and I get punished for overdoing it all the time. Some of the symptoms I get that don't involve my hip/pelvis issues are: I get a light headed or dizzy feeling and NEED to sit down, or I will feel like I'm about to fall down. I get nauseated. I will feel very weak. My entire body will ache, and my back will feel like it's about to collapse. I just can't ignore it. I do think if you're truly overdoing it, you will know for sure.

Thank you, ladies 😊

That makes me feel better. I've just been go-go-go nonstop at home that working 10-11 hours on my feet feels relaxing to me, hahaha. I was never this busy before and most of it is just circumstance, but still!!

I live on a farm and worry that I'm overdoing it all the time. I still lift heavy things (around 20-30 lbs) every once in a while and do a lot of bending but I do listen to my body. If it gets too fatigued, I know because my hips and back really start to hurt. I do suffer from SPD pain and my daily activities don't help with it, but I rest up as soon as I feel pain, usually saving any chores unfinished until the next day when a full night's rest has me feeling better. I've done this with each one of my pregnancies and everything has always turned out fine. Just listen to your body and try to keep hydrated :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->