How much did you actually need to purchase?

sandrass

Beautiful daughter Alessa
Reaction score
I am just wondering how many baby items everyone has actually had to purchase themselves?

With gifts, and baby showers, a few of my friends didnt really need to buy their babies anything...is this the case for many people?

We have almost everything we need now, only need reusable nappies and set with hairbrush, toothbrush etc, and have bought ourselves:
Some bibs
Some socks
A couple of towels
Steam steriliser with bottles
Cot bed sheets and blankets
Changing bag
Nappies
Bath sponges
A mobile for the car seat
Toiletry set
Flannels

Pretty sure that's it! Everything else has been given to us, all second hand except the pram.

We were given the crib, car seat, stroller, swing, and a lot of money with which to buy things ourselves. I think all we bought with our money was some clothes and the bedding set :lol:

We dont have a big 'shower' tradition here. People tend to buy after the event apart from maybe if you have family who want to help with bigger items. We were lucky that both my parents and OH's Mum gave us an amount of money to spend on what we needed. We've had nearly everything out of the money my parents gave and we still have the money from his Mum to spend.

Following on from what Merv's Mum said, we've not had a baby shower or anything here. It's just that my sister had a baby in January so is passing everything our way, my MIL wanted to buy the pram and we've got the cotbed and drawers second hand bought by my Mum. We happen to be the 10th grandchild on my side so there's little that's not being passed on to us.

We've pretty much bought everything. Baby showers are a tradition here but I've never had one...OH WELL! MIL did bring us a huge gift bag when I delivered Chase and had a bunch of well-needed things.

I thought a couple of people were going to throw you a shower leeanne??

same here no shower but everyone's been really generous and we've been given tons (first grandchild on Stan's side)

I got a lot of baby shower gifts but most of the stuff I had to buy myself since I have one sister who has no kids yet and all the cousins I have are far. :)

I bought nearly everything, my mum bought me a cot, matress and bits for the cot and OHs parents got us the pram... havent got anything else from anyone. Think mostly you get clothes after the baby is born :shrug: but i didnt really want to leave it to chance really though. Maybe its different if you have friends who have had babies or family who will give you things, but i was the first so we had to get everything!

We haven;t had to buy alot... We were given our crib, changetable, stroller, carseat, cloths, decorations, bedding, toys, diapers, bottles and tons of other random things at our shower...

I will have to buy a breast pump and rocking chair. As well as a few small random items.

Gawd Ryder you're so lucky i've spent £0000s on baby stuff already!! Eeeeek!!

I brought EVERYTHING myself literally straight after i knew the sex because i was soooo excited.. then everybody started asking what i wanted them to buy the baby and because id brought so much myself there wasnt anything left for anybody else to buy!!!To be honest i wish id waited and not brought so much myself because my baby has 4 granparents and 4 great granparents and alot of auntys and uncles who offered to buy so much i probably wouldnt have needed to spend much of my own money!!! Never mind. My mum and my nan have said they will give me money when baby is born.

Same here! Those who have had things passed on and brought are very lucky. I wish i had waited and let others brought stuff.

Iv spent way over £2500 on baby stuff and i even brought a camcorder for £300 because i thought, i cant have a baby and no camcorder to remember all those special moments and keep memorys! Plus the 4D scan... Iv spent alot!! :dohh:

ive been a bit impatient to wait for a shower and such...i've gone and bought a few items actually! At this rate there will be nothing left to get me by the time a shower comes around :rofl: i will probably end up with clothes galore :dohh:

Same here! Those who have had things passed on and brought are very lucky. I wish i had waited and let others brought stuff.

Iv spent way over £2500 on baby stuff and i even brought a camcorder for £300 because i thought, i cant have a baby and no camcorder to remember all those special moments and keep memorys! Plus the 4D scan... Iv spent alot!! :dohh:

It's true, thinking financially it is the best and we're really lucky. But the flip side is you don't get to choose anything at all. We've nothing to get to make it feel personal and are dependent on others' taste. Plus we have received some real crap n amongst the good stuff. Sometimes it feels a bit like people are just clearing their house clutter and dumping it on us!

we have bought EVERYTHING ourselfs too and spent a fortune, ppl are very lucky who have things handed down and bought from friends and family x

It's true, thinking financially it is the best and we're really lucky. But the flip side is you don't get to choose anything at all. We've nothing to get to make it feel personal and are dependent on others' taste. Plus we have received some real crap n amongst the good stuff. Sometimes it feels a bit like people are just clearing their house clutter and dumping it on us!

I suppose thats very true. But with my next baby i will definately be accepting second hand and i wont buy so much clothes next time!
I know i didnt need to spend so much but it made me happy sooo :)
Being my first baby i was just so so soo exicted to buy everything!

We've bought everything ourselves really. My mum has give us £100 to put towards the pram, and she's bought quite a few outfits & nappies & wipes. My nan has also bought quite a few clothes. And her friend, who I don't even know - lol. My OH has bought alot for her, and OH's mum is supposed to be putting £100 on the pram too. My nan asked me the other day if I needed any more little dresses, or sheets, or blankets. I said nan, if you buy anymore clothes for her, get 3-6months, cause she's a raft of newborn stuff. I've been given 2 moses baskets off my mum, which were my sisters. A bouncer was given to me from a friend of my mums. And I have a bath bather seat from what used to be my sisters. Blankets, well I've got tonnes! So I've been helped out alot. :D

My mum brought my pram, a bouncer chair and tons of bedding & clothes. I had a few clothes passed down from my cousin who's little girl is 2 but apart from that we've had to buy everything else ourselves.

Havent had a baby shower but no doubt we'll get a few gifts once she's here

Ya, I am very grateful for the things which people gave me and were purchased for me... It saved us alot which is helpful since we have so much stuff to do in our house...

I am waiting for my aternity leave pay so I can go and buy some things though... The whole pregnancy I was really wanting to go and go spend crazy lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"