How much saved?

i would like to have $5000 saved to pay for bills and food for the 3 months that i would be off work, OH can pay the mortgage, i will be getting $400 a week when on mat leave which would be there only if we needed it really..
and we are going to start buying the big stuff next year so, we wont have to fork out lots of money when we do get pregnant, also hoping to have enough nappies and formula to last the 3 months..
we are pretty lucky with childcare, because i get half price as i work with a huge childcare company in nz, and my family will look after LO a few days a week so LO only has to be in 3 days max.

I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if I repeat... didn't want to read and run. I think it depends on each person/family. What I did was contacted my insurance company to find out how much the hospital and prenatal visits will cost me then I made a list of all things I want and need for baby (clothes will have to be an estimate). So basically, I figured up what the initial cost would be and added some to that to figure out what I wanted to save. It really does depend on what you want. Some people buy every baby item out there, others buy just the basics, some buy the most expensive crib, others buy the cheapest. I really don't think there's a specific dollar amount. I would just start a list and start writing down prices and add them up :) It's also so much fun to pick these items out too!!! I know I will have a lot of items given to me as well, but I am not factoring these gifts in as I want to be prepared as best as possible!

Oh and of course as stated above any amount to cover living expenses while you will be off work. I'm currently a full time student and DH works and we live off of that. Our TTC date is based on me delivering after I graduate but before I work so I sometimes forget this expense!

I'm hoping to have £5k saved up, so I can cover loss of income and the major needs, its true what they say about babies being as expensive as you make them, but there does need to be some contingency if you are losing a big chunk of your income.

Just my thoughts on the matter :)

I've found this post really helpful thank you so much for posting ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->