How much sleep during the day?????

tessjs

Reaction score
My Bub won't sleep during the day much, he drifts off for a little while and then wakes up not long after.

how much sleep should he be getting during the day and is he not getting enough?

he is nearly 10 weeks

At ten weeks we did naps from 9-1030, 1230-2and 4-530 with bed time at 7.

At that age most babies need around 4-6 hours of sleep during the day. However, catnaps are totally normal. It may take a while because his daytime sleep becomes more organized.

Hes hardly sleeping at all during the day what is wrong??????i must be doing something wrong

You're not doing anything wrong!

My son was a catnapper but didn't go to sleep easily. He didn't give a lot of sleepy cues so what I did was look up average wake times for his age and started prioritizing sleep based on that. Until he was six months old he would only nap for 15-30 minutes at a time 98% of the time. If he did take a longer nap, it was usually on us, but most of the time even being worn or held it was a catnap. So say he should be up for an hour & 15 minutes, then I would start nursing him to sleep at 1 hr & 5 minutes or something. Do what works to get them to sleep! Sleep is important and helps them grow =)

It was exhausting to do that all day and some days were better or worse than others, but now he usually has 2 long naps and maybe a catnap each day, and it's so much better. The best thing I did for myself was to accept the way he sleeps and just go with the flow. It didn't change the way he slept but it changed my stress levels, and because I was able to prioritize his sleep with less stress on my part we were happier all around. He was happy from getting some sleep, and I was happy not stressing!

How much sleep is your little guy getting at night? My son was a champion night sleeper from early on (and it's changed :cry:) so another way I helped him be well rested was to make sure his night sleep period (including any night wakings) was minimum 10 hrs, usually closer to 11 or 12. Then the other 3-4 during the day we'd try to get through catnaps.

You're not doing anything wrong!

My son was a catnapper but didn't go to sleep easily. He didn't give a lot of sleepy cues so what I did was look up average wake times for his age and started prioritizing sleep based on that. Until he was six months old he would only nap for 15-30 minutes at a time 98% of the time. If he did take a longer nap, it was usually on us, but most of the time even being worn or held it was a catnap. So say he should be up for an hour & 15 minutes, then I would start nursing him to sleep at 1 hr & 5 minutes or something. Do what works to get them to sleep! Sleep is important and helps them grow =)

It was exhausting to do that all day and some days were better or worse than others, but now he usually has 2 long naps and maybe a catnap each day, and it's so much better. The best thing I did for myself was to accept the way he sleeps and just go with the flow. It didn't change the way he slept but it changed my stress levels, and because I was able to prioritize his sleep with less stress on my part we were happier all around. He was happy from getting some sleep, and I was happy not stressing!

How much sleep is your little guy getting at night? My son was a champion night sleeper from early on (and it's changed :cry:) so another way I helped him be well rested was to make sure his night sleep period (including any night wakings) was minimum 10 hrs, usually closer to 11 or 12. Then the other 3-4 during the day we'd try to get through catnaps.

hes sleeping from about six at night to 6 in the morning with a wake up at 2 for feed.hes been ok at night...its during the day thats the problem... at the moment

Well it helped me to look up averages for wake times, and also total sleep. He'll probably need around 15ish hrs of sleep total so if 12 of that is at night, then 3 hrs during the day.

You could try moving his bedtime to 7 and see if he'll shift some of his sleep to the daytime, but it seems your night sleep is working for you so I'm not sure I'd mess with it!

Does he fall asleep ANY way? Being rocked? Worn, nursed/fed? My son would get cranky so it was obvious he needed at least the catnaps, so I just prioritized sleep and did whatever worked as needed. It got better as he got older, but I still have to be the one to initiate sleep time for him! I can tell he needs it though.

you are doing nothing wrong. he might need a bit of extra help during the day to get to sleep. what is your getting him to sleep routine?

you are doing nothing wrong. he might need a bit of extra help during the day to get to sleep. what is your getting him to sleep routine?

just put him in his swing most times...... that sounds bad huh

what should i be doing, i feel i am stopping my childs development and have been anxious for a few days over this i'm a first time mum.

Is he acting cranky or like he NEEDS sleep during the day? He may just be one of the rare babies that doesn't need as much. Those numbers are averages. My son gets cranky after a while with no sleep so it's obvious he needs it. If you're having trouble getting him to sleep, try it 15 minutes earlier or later than you normally do and see if it makes a difference.

At that age my LO was sleeping between 3-3.5 hours between 7am and 7pm.

D doesnt sleep for long periods during the day. He catnaps here and there for 30-40 mins about 4 times a day. He just doesnt want/need as much sleep during the day. I offer it to him by reducing noise and placing him in his bed, but he usually starts howling with laughter, rolling and cooing so I dont bother now lol

Is he acting cranky or like he NEEDS sleep during the day? He may just be one of the rare babies that doesn't need as much. Those numbers are averages. My son gets cranky after a while with no sleep so it's obvious he needs it. If you're having trouble getting him to sleep, try it 15 minutes earlier or later than you normally do and see if it makes a difference.

he gets cranky towards the end of the day a fair bit, grumbles a bit throughout the day as well.I just feel like I'm being a bad mother for not getting him too sleep during the day he has rubbish 15 mins here or there or maybe 30 mins if I'm lucky:( it just feels I have no routine for him and its detrimental:(

I use this as a loose reference but honestly I just let mine sleep when she wants to. Not very baby fits the text book ;)

https://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/growth/infhab.html

I just want to recommend the book which has helped me the most being a first time mom with Little idea about babies' need for sleep. It is called: Healthy sleep habits, happy child.
The book will tell you how much he needs to sleep at every age and how to get there. I was surprized how well it has worked and how much my baby can sleep if I support healthy sleep routines. She is now 8 months old and takes at least 2 naps a day, one is shorter and one is longer. In the nioght she sleeps from 6 pm-6 am. (2 short feeds in the night)
Best wishes,
A

You are not doing anything wrong! Every baby is different & yours just seems like he needs less sleep during the day at the moment.

My lo was a 3x 30min napper until recently (he is almost 7 months old) & that suited him just fine. 12 hours at night with just one waking is amazing for a 10 week old too!

I found this chart really helpful too https://www.troublesometots.com/baby-sleep-what-is-normal/

Don't beat yourself up worrying about your lo's sleeping during the day, it took me a while to realise that I should not get myself too worked up about it all! I adapted my schedule & tried to get things done when he was sleeping, or I would pop him in the rocker in the kitchen with me while I cooked/cleaned & in the bathroom while I got ready in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->