How normal is this toddler behaviour? I'm worried about ADHD

lovie

Mamma to a baby boy
Reaction score
My little boy is 17 months old, recently I have been starting to think that maybe his behavior is not normal, Would anyone with toddler experience be able to tell me if this sounds normla or not?

He will sit in his pushchair if we are moving and he will sit on my knee on the bus but he often won't sit in his highchair to eat (he has been able to climb out from about 8 months) he will draw for about 2 mins then he gets up and runs away, he will not walk with me, if i try to get him to hold my hand he sits on the floor and shouts NOOOOO! He will look at books if he is in the mood but never for more than 5/10 mins and if I suggest it and he's not in the mood he will not even entertain the idea. He doesn't even really sit and watch tv, he likes the intro songs but he much prefers to run around than watch tv. He sits really nicely at song time at playgroup and he is very kind to other children, he loves sharing and gives lovely gentle cuddles. He sleeps really well, 11-12 hours at night and a 1-2.5 hour nap, he goes to sleep easily and happily. He was early in his physical developmet, sitting at 4 months, crawling at 6 months and walking at 10 months, his language development is pretty average, he is bilingual and says around 20-30 words in each language and he can cope almost every word we say.

His relentless enegy is the thing that worries me mostly, he is just so busy all the time. He has no interest in sitting down and doing shape sorters or jigsaws, he can put a shape in the right slot but then he gets bored takes the lid off and throws the rest of the shapes in.

He is pretty careful, if I tell him no he tends to listen, I trust him on climbing frames, fairly high slides and climbing up stairs as he is very steady on his feet and fairly sensible.

Does this sound like normal toddler mayhem?

Thanks so much for reading!:flower:

Sounds totally normal to me! My boys are full of energy all the time too:) at that age their attention span is pretty short, so it's Normal to only show interest in certain activities for just a few minutes and then be ready to do something else. My nearly 4 yr old will color or play with play doh for an hour. My 22 month old, maybe 10 minutes.

I remember saying to Abby's education advisor when she was 2 and a half that we couldn't get more than 5 minutes out of her doing anything. Her response was we were doing well to get 5 minutes.

I worked for daycare for years as a teenager, up until I was 20, and that sounds pretty normal for a toddler! I also grew up with my youngest brother having severe ADHD and trust me - they do not sleep!! Usually kids that I've seen with bad, dysfunctional ADHD have serious trouble sleeping (staying awake 16-20 hours a day), and also have behavioral issues such as very frequent, uncontrollable tantrums over very minor things. It's usually not diagnosed (and shouldn't be) until age 5 or 6, even later. All the things you're describing is typical of a toddler. When I was teaching the toddler class, we CONSTANTLY had to come up with activities to keep them occupied or else they'd end up running around the room, smacking and biting each other, jumping on top of the other or just crying and throwing fits out of boredom. They'll keep you busy!

Sounds normal to me! Everything you described is the same as my almost 17 month old.

He sounds like a completely normal toddler with lots of energy :)

He sounds totally normal to me too, toddlers keep us on our toys for sure!! My LO won't sit for more than 5 mins either & that's usually just to eat, she'll start eating fine & then is gone & I end up feeding her standing up!

Sounds like Ciara! She's just gone 2 and rarely sits still!

Absolutely 100% normal :D stop worrying, he is acting like a perfectly normal toddler! x

Agree, totally normal. My 18 month old has soooo much energy, and nothing holds his attention for more than 2 minutes, not even TV.

my LO is just as active!!!

every time i go to baby group all the toddlers look so calm and chill and mines running around lol

Sorry but this really made me laugh. It's totally normal :) Mine is nearly three and it is only relatively recently that I've been able to get her to stick at doing one thing for any amount of time!

I' so releived thanks so much lovely mummies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->