How often do you put the heating on?

If it's cold I leave ours on constantly (same with A/C if its hot- like right now).

We have ours on for an hour between 6 and 7 in the morning and I light the log burner in the front room at lunchtime.

It is supposed to come close to -40C tonight and will reach that with windchill tomorrow. :cold:

I cannot imagine how that feels :shock: Do you have to cover the kids faces when you go outside? Like with a balaclava? lol! I bet nobody plays outside...do they?! Sickening! And how much colder is it going to get? Is January/Feb often the coldest?

Our heaters are on all night and then off while we're out in the day, then back on at 6pm or so.. I hate sleeping with heating on cause it gives me a headache but can't sleep if I'm cold.

It is supposed to come close to -40C tonight and will reach that with windchill tomorrow. :cold:

I cannot imagine how that feels :shock: Do you have to cover the kids faces when you go outside? Like with a balaclava? lol! I bet nobody plays outside...do they?! Sickening! And how much colder is it going to get? Is January/Feb often the coldest?

Our heaters are on all night and then off while we're out in the day, then back on at 6pm or so.. I hate sleeping with heating on cause it gives me a headache but can't sleep if I'm cold.

At -40C, it takes less than 10 minutes for skin to freeze, so we keep kids inside then. It's a very biting, stinging cold if you don't cover up. Lots of people use balaclavas, but you can get the same effect with a scarf. In Alberta, we get a very dry cold, so it's not really that bad. You just need to know how to dress for it. Once the frostbite warning is off, we head straight back outside.
The funny part is, those cold snaps make temps like today's -17C feel all warm and balmy! :)
We get extremely variable temperatures in this part of Alberta, due to a wind phenomenon known as the chinooks. We can go from -20C to +10C in 24 hours. These can happen anytime, as can cold snaps. We've had really cold fronts in early spring, as well as Jan & Feb. It's really variable. You get used to it - just layer up and carry on! :)

i put mine on first thing in the morning for about 3 hours then about 3 hours at night x

At -40C, it takes less than 10 minutes for skin to freeze, so we keep kids inside then. It's a very biting, stinging cold if you don't cover up. Lots of people use balaclavas, but you can get the same effect with a scarf. In Alberta, we get a very dry cold, so it's not really that bad. You just need to know how to dress for it. Once the frostbite warning is off, we head straight back outside.
The funny part is, those cold snaps make temps like today's -17C feel all warm and balmy! :)
We get extremely variable temperatures in this part of Alberta, due to a wind phenomenon known as the chinooks. We can go from -20C to +10C in 24 hours. These can happen anytime, as can cold snaps. We've had really cold fronts in early spring, as well as Jan & Feb. It's really variable. You get used to it - just layer up and carry on! :)

That would drive me crazy! Don't mind cold weather (though thankfully we don't get as cold as -40 here, except maybe with windchill once a year or something) but if it would vary that much in short periods of time I'd lose my mind!

That would drive me crazy! Don't mind cold weather (though thankfully we don't get as cold as -40 here, except maybe with windchill once a year or something) but if it would vary that much in short periods of time I'd lose my mind!

The chinooks can be great and they typically last a few days, so it is like a nice spring thaw. However, it is absolutely hell on gardening. We live in one of the most difficult growing zones and not a lot of plants are hardy enough to deal with temperature fluctuations and the dryness that the chinooks leave. That's when it bothers me the most. That and our "springtime" when we get a huge dump of snow in May. That's when I go crazy. Otherwise I don't mind it too much.

An hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening, To heat up the house for bed and for any washing that needs dried!

The chinooks can be great and they typically last a few days, so it is like a nice spring thaw. However, it is absolutely hell on gardening. We live in one of the most difficult growing zones and not a lot of plants are hardy enough to deal with temperature fluctuations and the dryness that the chinooks leave. That's when it bothers me the most. That and our "springtime" when we get a huge dump of snow in May. That's when I go crazy. Otherwise I don't mind it too much.

I suppose you must get used to it. Still, makes me thankful for the weather I have here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->