How painful was your miscarriage?

sugrplum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering how painful your miscarriages were physically and how far along you were. I was almost 11 weeks and the pain was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. I was screaming in the emergency room waiting to get a room and then for the doctor- I waited in agony about 2 hours before I got help. I had to keep running to the bathroom because my pads would fill every 5 minutes... it was horrible. The worst 2 hours of my entire life. I am not the type of person to show that I am in pain, I am very shy, but I lost all ability to care about such nonsence with the agony. I just cried and begged for help. Finally they gave me the strongest pain medication they had- dilaudid (hydromorphone) by iv. This still did not completely take away my pain, but it dulled it enough that I could tell it was contractions I was feeling... so strange. The pain finally lessened when I passed the gestational sac. My D&C was actually scheduled for that morning, so I stayed in the hospital and they performed it anyway to make sure nothing was left.

Anyway, I was wondering how normal this experience was and if any of you have given birth (I have not) how the pain compares to labor. It really scares me that labor would be that painful. I always wanted an all natural birth with no pain medication, but now I doubt I would be able to if it was anything like that. Of course you get a baby and are not devestated emotionally so I am sure that helps.

Hi Sugrplum - I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs: Your pain level sounds very similar to what I experienced with my first mc. I was at 12 weeks, and I also ended up in the ER. They didn't give me any pain meds until after I had passed the sac. (They eventually gave me demerol.) I am so sorry you had to go through that. I haven't had a live birth yet, either, so I can't say how it compares to that pain. But others have posted on here that the pain is much more bearable when you know it's leading to a baby.

:hugs: to you.

deeply sorry for your loss, my miscarriage at 11weeks 3days was my worse loss, although mentally my ectopic at 6weeks was worse, i guess it depends with each person my miscarriage at 11weeks was actually more painful that giving birth to my living son at 33weeks gestation, i am sorry you have had to go through this, i hope your getting the support and help you need at this hard time, i have been miscarriage/childloss support leader for 5years if you need anything at all please feel free to contact me

Lynne x

hugs for your loss :hugs: i think i was "only" 5 and a half weeks but it was extremely painful, worst pain of my life, and nausea/vomitting... i was so exhausted from the contractions and sweating puddles even though I wasn't wearing a stitch of clothing. seems to me it was quite severe for being so early in the pregnancy :cry: it started around 2pm, the worst of it lasted over 4 hrs, and then i continued cramping through the night, of course no medicine would touch it either :(

Hey,

Firstly I am sorry for you loss :hugs:

I was also around the 11 week mark. Mine started off as dull aches abit like period pains but increased to what labour feels like.I thought i wouldnt have much pain being that i was only 11 weeks. I also didnt know at the time that they were contractions.

I would say that this pain was worse than my other two labours. I think it was worse being i knew i shouldnt be in labour and the emotional pain of having no control over what my body was doing and there being only heartbreak at the end of it.

I am sorry you had to go through this :hugs:

xxx

i was 10 weeks and i had medical management and it was very painful because the pills ruch the m/c and it was the whole m/c crammed into 6 hours. but i was in hospital with mine. it wasnt just physically pain mentally aswell.

Big hug sugar, Im so sorry

I posted this on bankie's thread the other day:

both sets of labour i had, by the time the pain got so bad it stopped, i had thrown up and nearly passed out, on the Sunday i actually lost my sight for a few minutes ....at that point the contractions stopped and I asked the nurse why it stopped when i went for my pre-op, she said that the throwing up and passing out where my body going into shock and that stopped the labours. She said my body knew id had enough

i know what you mean, i think now that at least i know i can handle labour of sorts. i googled it when it was happening, and googled 'is miscarriage labour worse than labour' and found out that during labour, the pain of the contractions is your uterus trying to open the cervix. After 9 months of pregnancy, the cervix is ready to open, during some mc, the cervix is firmly shut so the contractions pain can actually be worse than normal labour.

again, i dont mean to scare anyone, but i had NO idea what would happen (although it really doesnt happen to everyone - my cervix was very shut and the mc failed and i needed an op)

From what ive read on forums (no official type websites post anything about what happens) it seems that of those who have experienced both miscarriage and labour, some find it worse and some find labour easier than mc - many said that because of the circumstances of labour, its easier to deal with because its a happy event whereas mc is totally traumatic.

i was so shocked when it happened to me, i didnt know what was going to happen and wasnt aware i was going to start having contractions so bad i would pass out and throw up

I hope you are ok and are recovering, its such a horrible thing to experience x

I have had one at 5+4 and getting scanned tomorrow as there wasnt much blood at all and only minor cramping pain and they didnt seem to think that was right either. Hope everybody can recover from this and move on to happier times x

Gosh i'm pleased someone posted this. I was in agony with mine, doubled over the settee groaning in pain. On the Mon before the MC was confirmed on the tue by scan i had no sleep as in too much pain. On the tue at the scan they confirmed MC was underway but said pain and bleeding will get worse until i pass the sac which didnt happen til the thurs. Weds morning i had to demand pain relief from my doc as was so painful. Once i passed the sac the pain disappeared instantly. x

Hi,

Just want to thank you for starting this thread. I miscarried on March 31st, and elected to have a D&C right away because we were about to leave for a vacation. I wasn't sure what to do, as I'm usually a natural girl, but after reading this thread I think I made the right choice. Still sore after the D&C which has me worried, so I am going to start a new thread on that. But, I was starting to second-guess my decision...which of course was made spur-of-the moment and when I was emotionally distraught. So again, thanks for everyone's comments on this thread.

mb

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. It breaks my heart that so many of us have gone through such terrible pain during one of the worst if not the worst experiences of our lives. It seems so cruel of mother nature to crush us emotionally and then physically as well. Btw I asked how far along everyne was just to see if there was a correlation between level of pain and that. Of course emotionally that is of little consequence and pointless to compare.

Mamabel I think you made the right choice and many times I wished I had the d&c right when they found out. It would have prevented a lot of needless physical paid especially when I ended up having the d&c anyway.

I am so sorry for each and every one of our losses :( I am so grateful for the amazing support here. You all feel like my sisters and I am so glad we have eachother when no one else truly understands. <3

I am sorry for your loss hun *hugs*

I lost my son Frazer at 23 weeks which is technically classed as a late miscarriage. I had to be induced and go through a full labour to give birth to him as my body didn't seem to want to start on its own. My labour lasted 2 hours and 17 minutes but it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be and I managed on just gas and air. My midwife told me that a labour at full term would have the some strength of contractions, the only difference would be in terms of when it came to actually push the baby out.Not sure if that would be the same for a natural miscarriage though.

Don't know if that is any help to you...

I just went through a miscarriage and cannot believe how painful and awful it was. Everything I read before-hand seemed to talk about "cramping" similar to menstrual cramps and that is NOT what happened. The first thing I did when I got home was look on the internet and was comforted by all the stories out there so I thought I would share mine.

I went in on a Tuesday with minor bleeding but they couldn't tell me anything for sure for various reasons. I was scheduled for follow-up blood tests and an ultrasound a week later but on Sunday night started bleeding alot. At that time I had cramping but it was mostly the bleeding that made me go to emergency. When I got to the hospital and got out of the car after sitting for so long, there was so much blood gushing out that it soaked through my pad onto my jeans. But still, when I got to see someone they couldn't tell me for sure and I went home.

Shortly after I got home the pain started and it was like nothing I have ever felt before. I couldn't walk, was curled up on the floor, crawling to the bathroom every few minutes. I guess it came and went but it hurt all the time so I didn't get any relief only less pain to agonizing, intense pain. I didn't go back to the hospital right away because I thought they would just say the same thing that I had to wait for an ultrasound. After a couple of hours though I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the hospital. They saw me right away and the doctor said I was definitely miscarrying and he cleaned out some tissue that was blocking my cervix. It was instant relief from the pain and I didn't require any follow-up procedures.

I am still dealing with the emotional aspects of the miscarriage but to be honest the pain is still so fresh that is what I have been thinking about. Nothing I have ever read or heard prepared me for anything like that, so I hope this story helps somebody who is in the same shock as I was.

I was only 5 weeks and it was nothing more than a period, no pain nothing xx

I.was eleven weeks but baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. Mine started as period pain so i wasnt even worried as ive heard people have periods while preg. Anyway the second day of bleeding id been out with bf got home. Then it came on very sudden i went for a wee and couldnt move off the toilet. My bf couldnt even get me to sit up as it was so painful. He cleaned me up n after ages i agreed to try move to bed. It was also the worst back pain i ever had i was havin trouble workibg out if it was my back or front that hurt. This lasted hours then passed. Then next day returned but not quite as painful. Its 2 n half weeks on n still bleeding so gonna have to have a d and c anyway after all that pain. Worst experience of my life

I was 6 weeks when I found out that I had had a mmc. i waited 8 weeks to pass it naturally and when it happened I had no pain whatsoever. I had suffered with 2 days of severe cramping pains several weeks before that, but literally nothing when I passed baby.

I am so sorry for everyones losses.

xx

Hi

I hope you don't mind me posting but I hope I can give hope to others reading this that it isn't always very bad.

I think I was very lucky physically - I had got to 13 weeks pregnant but :baby: only developed up to around 6 weeks :cry: I had medical management so not sure if this helped as it speeded things up (may have been very drawn out and painful if happened naturally maybe :shrug:). My pain was like period pain but was a fair bit stronger and longer lasting but still only lasted a few hours. My bleeding also was only like a period for a few days and then I just spotted for about another week and a half. I didn't pass the gestational sac until nearly 12 hours after the start of treatment and this was painless. I think the sac probably detached towards the end of the pains I had and then just had to work its way out :shrug: I was in hospital throughout all this and they kept me in overnight too as I passed the sac late at night so too late to go home then.

I do think I was very lucky and I feel for all you ladies who had a very rough time :hugs:

x

I was 22 weeks and let me tell you it was the worse pain ever--I have given birth and it was nothing like this I felt like my stomach was being ripped apart. I will never forget feeling that way and on top of that dealing with the fact that my twins had passed it was all so much and overwhelming.

Hello All, I am sorry for all who are TTC, and have experienced a miscarriage. Brief background... I am 44 & have been TTC for one year. I was excited when I became pregnant naturally. Unfortunately, my joy was short-lived. I was 6W2D at the start of my miscarriage. My HCG level on 6/7/11 was 558; and only 578 on 6/9/11. On 6/12/11, I started spotting & rushed to the ER. I had a transvaginal ultrasound that revealed a completely empty uterus. HCG level was 622. On 6/13/11, I started clotting & rushed back to the ER. An ectopic pregnancy was suspected. I was given a dose of a Methotrexate injection to terminate the pregnancy thus, avoiding surgery. The injection burned slightly but not unbearable. Since then I'm experiencing overall weakness, painful cramps, passing clots, feeling weak & light-headed, & a sore throat. I follow-up on Friday to ensure HCG levels are dropping. Emotionally, I'm devastated & often feel depressed. My doctor says I can try again in 3 months, but I am fearful.

i didn't get any pain until it actually happened, that's why I started comforting myself and believing that actually, my baby is going to be okay, especially after seeing the scan and the doctor telling me it'll all clear up.

When it happened it was awful tho :(

xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"