How painful was your miscarriage?

I have miscarried twice, one at 9 weeks and one at 8 weeks. The first one was painfully, but my overriding memory was how scary it was, as I naively expected it to be relatively painless, so I was totally unprepared! Having since had a baby, I would compare it to a mini labour - I was doubled over with contractions for about an hour, then it passed and the pain stopped. The second was completely different - just achy, like period cramps, for a couple of days with heavy bleeding, then I felt it pass without any contractions or further pain. Though I have my suspicions that the baby had died earlier the second time but just took a bit of time for my body to realise, which might account for the difference, whereas the first time I say a heartbeat on a scan a few days before the miscarriage.

I wish someone had warned me about what miscarriage is like - then it woukdn't have been so scary.

I had what must have been a chemical pregnancy back in February, and I've just found out today that I will be miscarrying any day now, since I was confirmed pregnant by test and u/s two weeks ago, then just went this morning to check the progress again by ultrasound, and the same little speck was barely even visible anymore...I'm guessing it must have stopped growing right after my first visit at 5 weeks. I'm at 7 weeks and a few days now, and terrified for the impending miscarriage....

Last February, I was found to have a gestational sac at 3 weeks (I have been getting more u/s than usual because I have a 6cm intramural fibroid and endometriosis that my doctor has been keeping an eye on), but my doctor said he didn't think it would make it. I held out hope anyway and waited through the next week. Sure enough, I started spotting liquidy, light pink while out for a walk, along with cramps. Since it was just around the time my period was due, my body decided to just go on ahead and let it go.

Even at 4 weeks, the pain was horrifying for me.
I was alone (it's sad how so many of us have been alone going through this, and the more I think about it when people start comparing labor pains to m/c pains - I really think the care, or even just standing by and looking after us of loved ones, doctors, nurses, our significant other - whoever is there while we're going through labor pains, might contribute to making it not seem quite as bad), and let it come as if it was just a bad period. Since I've got the fibroid and endo, I'm used to some pretty nasty periods, and I figured that since I was only 4 weeks along, it wouldn't be much different.

I was wrong. VERY wrong.

I spent about two days with the cramps and other looming signs that I would soon start bleeding, and on the third day, the pain became so unbearable, I did find myself on the ground rocking, and writhing in pain. The extra strength ibuprofen I was taking did not help. I can remember it started early in the afternoon, so It must have lasted about 4 or 5 hours, because by nightfall, I had managed to push out a sudden heavy gush, and felt almost instant relief. I also remember my pain sensors making sure the dopamine kicked right in, because once it was all gone, I started having the physical sensation of being calm, relaxed and soothed. Emotionally, of course, it was horrible, but I was glad to have my body come to my aid, since nobody else was home to give any comfort. I had the shakes and soreness in my lower back for a few days afterward, and bled lightly for a few days after that, but soon after that, I was pretty much back to normal.

So, while it did not become so bad that I vomited or passed out, it was still awful, and NOT something I want to deal with again....And that's why I'm terrified at nearly 8 weeks to go through this at a later stage. I'm alone, and live in a non-car friendly city, so if I had to go to a hospital, I'd be SOL unless I could get an ambulance to arrive. I also live in a foreign country where I'm fair enough with basic conversation in the language, but if pressed to speak while enduring screaming pain, I can pretty much be certain that I won't remember a single word. Yep. I'm not looking forward to it, and I'm sorry for everyone who has had to go through it. It's making me feel like I don't think I will even have the courage to try again because of the toll it takes on my body. I hope I can find some friends in you ladies, because I may really need you in the coming weeks as I endure another m/c alone.

I miscarried about a week and a half ago. It started out as spotting over a few days, and the spotting progressively got worse by the 4th day. I started having back pain, and then having to have several bowel movements. The bleeding was worse during the bowel movements. By 2:30 a.m., the pain was also in the front and was intensifying so my husband drove me to the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital, I was in excruciating pain, which there was no relief from. They rushed me into emergency immediately, and did blood work. I was put in a room and started vomiting so the nurse rushed and got a doctor (luckily, it was a Sunday and not busy). The doctor put me on a morphine IV for the pain, as well as something for the nausea. Eventually, the morphine kicked in and the pain subsided. At that point, the doctor did a pelvic exam and pulled out the gestational sac. She gave me Tylenol 3s with codeine for the pain afterward, but I had very little physical pain after that. I still took the pills for a couple of days, though, just to numb the emotional pain.
This was the worse pain I have ever felt in my life and I hope to never experience that again.

I miscarried just over two weeks ago. I wasn't far along, just over 6 weeks, but it was quite painful, more painful than I thought it would be (physically AND emotionally). I bled heavily for 9 days and had a lot of clots and terrible cramps.

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to add my little bit - i'm hoping to give some hope to those who are awaiting a ERPC..

I found out nearly 3 weeks ago my little baby didnt have a heartbeat. Up till the scan I had not one bit of pain, I had no inclination my baby was dead apart from spotting..

I chose to have the ERPC as it didnt look like the baby would naturally leave for weeks or maybe ever. I had that on the Thursday after I found out on the Sunday I had miscarried.

Still no pain, ERPC day and no pain, bleeding again but then when I went home I had a little bit of belly ache which was controled by paracetomol but nothing mayjor.

The worst pain for me has been the obvious emotional one, that and the migraine that hasnt left me since 1 week since the ERPC.

I hope you ladies are all as well as can be and i'm sending so many hugs your way xx

Mine was pretty painful, it was natural and I was around 8 weeks. I couldn't sit, couldn't stand, the whole of my lower body was just in constant pain and I didn't even realise it was contractions that I was having at first, as the doctor didn't tell me what to expect. I felt so weak from the pain that I just passed out on our sofa at one point and my OH fell asleep next to me from all the crying and frustration.

Ooo after reading some of the comments here.. Not sure if I'm just one exception to the rule but...

I got to 8 weeks this time round and going through it naturally, I've bled quite abit bright red, with clots which were about a couple of inches in size...

But I've never once had any sort of pain! Not even mild period cramps, no dull aches, no back ache, no headaches, no nothing!.. Just bleeding.

I bled for 9 days spread out over 24 days. Now I have just the odd bit of brown spotting.

Everything I was told, I was expecting a lot of pain.. So no idea what's going on :shrug:

I had a d&c in April and sooo wish I begged the doctor to give me another, the mental pain has been awful :(

I had 4 mis and in the process of my fifth, Two mis where at 6 weeks or so and where not that painful, the mis at 12 weeks was like labor pain and this one at 11 weeks is like labor pain. I think it depends how far along you are.

with my 1st loss in Sept 2011 I had no pain or bleeding until after the d&e I was suppose to be 11 weeks but gestational sac was only 5.5 weeks there was a yolk sac but no fetal pole. dr said fetal demise/blighted ovum. I didn't bleed much after d&e and it didnt last long.

With my 2nd loss in Jan 2012 I miscarried naturally. Its unknown exactly how far I was since I never got a period. Had sex in Oct and Nov. Drs and I agree I was at least about 5-7 weeks good possibility I was further. It was painful I bled a lot had a lot of cramping and clots. It felt like labor. The pain started on a Friday 8 days later bleeding started and I passed a large mass. 2 days after bleeding is when the labor pains started along with what was already going on. I passed another sac/tissue the following morning.

3rd loss didn't have any signs of a loss. I went in for a scan and my baby had just recently died. I was 13.2 weeks and that is what my baby was as well. I had a d&e at 14 weeks. Which I had lots of bleeding and pains.

I was told to expect bleeding like a period but heavier and stronger cramps.. Yeah, it felt like early labor. It took 5 days for my body to get going, I was spotting but not to much and then on the morning of the actual miscarriage, I began to get what I thought was contractions, having two other kids I was pretty certain that that's what I was feeling. They got to a point that they were coming every 40 secs to 1 minute. I decided to stand up since I'm one of those people that deals better with pain while moving around, and for some crazy reason decided that sweeping was a good idea LOL. The pain got worse and the contractions were lasting longer. I eventually passed a big piece of tissue I figured was the baby but then about an hour later and with no so much pain anymore I actually passed an intact sac with a tiny little baby inside.

Honestly, if a woman is pregnant with her first baby and she unfortunately miscarries and they happen to have a pretty painful one, they are gonna think they are dying since they don't have labor to compare their pain with.

It's nothing like they told me and I think they should give a better explanation or scenarios that could happen when they are telling you what to expect.

:hugs:
I was told to expect bleeding like a period but heavier and stronger cramps.. Yeah, it felt like early labor. It took 5 days for my body to get going, I was spotting but not to much and then on the morning of the actual miscarriage, I began to get what I thought was contractions, having two other kids I was pretty certain that that's what I was feeling. They got to a point that they were coming every 40 secs to 1 minute. I decided to stand up since I'm one of those people that deals better with pain while moving around, and for some crazy reason decided that sweeping was a good idea LOL. The pain got worse and the contractions were lasting longer. I eventually passed a big piece of tissue I figured was the baby but then about an hour later and with no so much pain anymore I actually passed an intact sac with a tiny little baby inside.

Honestly, if a woman is pregnant with her first baby and she unfortunately miscarries and they happen to have a pretty painful one, they are gonna think they are dying since they don't have labor to compare their pain with.

It's nothing like they told me and I think they should give a better explanation or scenarios that could happen when they are telling you what to expect.
:hugs:Hi Im so sorry to here your news, I too am expecting to miscarry, I got told 2 days ago that the baby has stopped growing, I am scared but at this time I am luck enough to have to very healthy children, 15yrs and 11yrs, This pregnancy obviously wasnt meant to happen, so everyone reassures me, Good luck to you with future pregnancies xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->