How soon do I go off BCP's?

sandy299

Reaction score
I want to ttc in Jan '09 but not sure about my dh. He knows I want to ttc in '09 but I am thinking he will want it later. Ie..we talked about April. So anyways I am going to have a talk wtih him in mid Nov about ttc if he doesn't bring it up before then. He said once I will be working 6 mos we'll talk. I will be working 6 mos in October. So, I want to ttc in Jan but if he deosn't go for it we might wait until April or June is the absoluate latest.

So I was going to go off in Dec to ttc in Jan. Should I give myself more time or is that enough? Any opinions.

Sandy

:hi: I think it really depends on how long you have been on them. Some people get preg right away. I would say 3-6 months to get it all out of your system....and if DH is not ready to ttc, he can wear a rubber duckie... ;) Chances are he will give in to TTC sooner... :)

I think if you look on the ttc thread you'll see that alot of us have pretty irregular cycles after coming off bcp. I came off in October 07 and my cycles still vary between 22 and 30 days.

So I guess if you don't want to have to worry about irregular cycles I'd come off about 6 months before and just use alternative contraception til you're both ready. Good luck!

I came of at the end o last year and had an af then was pregnant so pretty quick. i was also on it for 2 yrs before. I was also on it from the age of 15 to around 23 i think

I want to ttc in Jan '09 but not sure about my dh. He knows I want to ttc in '09 but I am thinking he will want it later. Ie..we talked about April. So anyways I am going to have a talk wtih him in mid Nov about ttc if he doesn't bring it up before then. He said once I will be working 6 mos we'll talk. I will be working 6 mos in October. So, I want to ttc in Jan but if he deosn't go for it we might wait until April or June is the absoluate latest.

So I was going to go off in Dec to ttc in Jan. Should I give myself more time or is that enough? Any opinions.

Sandy

Ok some ppl may think I am being riske' but since I know your history Sands (and mine) I will say it anyways.

I suggest testing the water with condoms (as when i came off mine my Hubby became the holder of the cards so to speak - its a little hard to TTC when he is the one doing the birth control). I would test the water and pretend to get sick or forget a pill and then suggest you try condoms for a month for birth control and see how anal he is and if he still enjoys sex etc so you can assess how he will be in Jan (when you come off them).

I just dont want you to go through what I did with him being hectically cautios which leaves no room for oopsies etc.

anyways, that is my suggestion. of course its preferable to have the conversation together and agree on that date too (as my hubby was upset when i just stopped taking them - although i was feeling crappy on them and they made me depressed).....

Well thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go off and then ttc. I talked to my dr about it and that is what she told me. She said some people it takes awhile to regulate cycles but there is no harm in doing it. And since I was very regular before going on the pill she said that. She said if I was irregular she would have recommended something else. But I have been on bcp's since 1999 and also was on them from the time I was 16-24 and went off due to insurance. So, after going off them the first time I never missed AF and never had a cycle longer than 29 days.

Dh refuses to do condoms. After I went on the pill he will not do them. After the baby I think I will do FAM and TCOYF and also due to that I want to BF my baby and I know you can't be on them while you are.

But, we decided on a date to set a date. We will be having our ttc talk in Jan so we will not be ttc in Jan afterall. I am OK with it. Originally I wanted April so I am happy with this. He wanted me to be working at least 6 mos beforehand. He said right now it's me not mentioning it and just letting it go. i guess a lot of men feel pressure to ttc wehn you bring it up. So, that is what we are doing. So, I am happy we have a time to talk about it. So I am going to be just working hard at my job and before I know it it will be 2009.

Sandy

Thats good and its great you have been talking about it. I know its difficult for them and they just want the pressure to be off for a while to get used to it. so as much as you want to dont nag.....but if you set a date to talk about it you need to decide then as it ist fair for him to get his needs taken care of (ie. u not nagging) without yours being dealt with.....you need to show him its a lose lose situation......

its good he doesnt like condoms :) mine actually preferred the control it gave him but then again, we havent really had sex without them since 2 years ago....

but on the positive side (since i got a horrid bladder infection this month) i convinced him that i didnt want to use condoms anymore. i told him for the next month until june we will have to try (as my friend says the reverse gear method ha ha like the name).

i am hoping for an oopsie next month :)

Many dr's advise a year to get back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->