How to break it to your first born!?

Padan1111

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I was wondering if anyone could relate how they told their first child that they were expecting a second?

My DD is 3 in May and she's a bright little girl, very empathetic and a complete mummy's girl. She has a couple of little friends who either have a younger sibling or are expecting one so whenever it comes up we've been saying oh how lovely it would be to have a sibling and isn't so-and-so lucky! In conversation I've brought up my brothers and how nice it is to have them (may be somewhat exaggerated! :winkwink:) On TV shows I'm always pointing out siblings etc.

A couple of times I've asked her "do you think you would like a baby to join our family?" or something similar and sometimes I get yes and sometimes a dead no!

I think she'll love having a sibling, but I don't think she'll be excited about sharing mummy!

How can we make it a positive experience for her!? We're not going to say anything definite until after the ~12 week scan.

I'm not sure either my daughter is three and adores her baby cousin and dolls etc I think she'll be an amazing sister however she is a huge daddy's girl and especially if this one is a girl I'm not sure how good she will be at sharing HER daddy ha x

Our little girl is just over 2 and we haven't got a clue how or when to say anything. We're thinking maybe after the 20 week scan so we can show her the picture and I'll have a bump then to try and explain... and will use Peppa Pig & George as examples as she loves them. That's the thinking so far anyway...

I have a 3 year old son and I have told him since we found out that mommy has a baby in my belly and I would point to my belly button and say that the baby is inside there. He was quite happy with the thought as he is a clever boy as well and understand about babies as his friends at school also have siblings who are babies now and he was quite content with the idea.

When I ask him if there is a brother or sister inside he always says its a sister and adamant at that. :D We do hope its a girl but he would love a sibling regardless. For them at that age I don't know if they think about "I will have to share my mommy" they are too young. More like, I have to share my toys! lol

But honestly you know for me, he had no problem with me having a baby in my belly and he will also ask me when will the baby climb out?

But everyone is different. Some people wait till their child can feel the baby move when they touch your belly and then explain that there is a little brother or sister in there.

Good luck :flower:

We told our son on Friday after the 12 week scan.

He has been asking for a brother / sister which has broken my heart as I've had two miscarriages.

My husband and I did it together and e both cried and explained to him that we were cryng with happiness. He was really excited - he kissed my tummy and asked lots of questions. He then proceeded to get toys out that he thought were baby appropriate (clearly he thinks the baby will come out as one year old!). We told him just ourselves and he was so excited and it was a very special moment for us both. Us all really!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"