How to cope with constant nausea?

Carhar

Mum
Reaction score
I have had near constant nausea for almost 2 weeks. Today has been dreadful.

I would appreciate any tips on what works for you as I didn't have this in my last pregnancy (which already feels like I had it easy in comparison).

For me, it has been a struggle. I have to find foods that don't make me sick by looking at them, smelling them, or even just thinking about them. One day something may sound great, next day not.

What I try to do is just try to eat little meals through out day, whether it's just a granola bar, or a sandwich, or some fruit.

If it is really bad, I would talk to your doctor about nausea medicine. I'm almost to that point, see my doctor again at 14 weeks.

I have HG and have suffered with constant sickly feeling since week 6 im sorry to say i have no advice, i havent coped. I got to point i couldnt look after my girls hubby had to take time off work.

If you had children already deffo get much help as possible from family/friends. Motion is a big trigger for me and i just had to rest ive not been out probably since week 6 apart from.school run/docs/hosp.

Your best option is to see doc for tablets im on cylizine took 2 weeks to kick in i have my ok days and my tough days.

Thanks I have my first midwife appointmt Wednesday so will ask about anti sickness tablets. If I had my way I'd stay in bed all day as lying down is the only thing that eases it.

I'm struggling finding something to drink as I'm constantly thirsty, but if I drink too much water I feel sloshy and it makes the sickness worse.

My OH has been brilliant today. I'm not sure how I'll cope tomorrow as I have my DD all by myself x

If you drink anything, drink through a straw and drink slowly so you don't have that sloshy feeling.

Thanks I have my first midwife appointmt Wednesday so will ask about anti sickness tablets. If I had my way I'd stay in bed all day as lying down is the only thing that eases it.

I'm struggling finding something to drink as I'm constantly thirsty, but if I drink too much water I feel sloshy and it makes the sickness worse.

My OH has been brilliant today. I'm not sure how I'll cope tomorrow as I have my DD all by myself x

Yes bed and lying down is the best.
Very frustrating even though your thirsty its best to only sip what you drink.
Ice cold water is best for me (room temp or uncold water made it worse)
I had period of sipping flat lemonade was okay.
Ice cold capri sun (then i was sick after 1 and ive been put off)
Luzocade was okay for a few days.

Tea was a massive no.

I reading in baby book today that 'coconut water' is new thing to help keep hypdrated with sickness but said only available from ocado.

Weeks 7-9 were toughest x

I got to that point last week and the doctor gave me anti sickness tablets which have been an absolute godsend. I'm still feeling sick occasionally but before I was in bed for days, unable to do anything. Now I can at least eat abit more and get out of bed etc. I kept thinking it was normal until my gp confirmed HG and tht I was dehydrated, if your suffering that bad if suggest you going to the docs and getting checked hun. Hope you feel better soon

I've had horrendous morning sickness this time around, at one point unable to even get out of bed because simply moving made me sick. The things that helped for me were:

Seabands - they don't cure the problem, but they do reduce it (for me anyway) I haven't taken them off!
Coconut water first thing in the morning before getting out of bed and something small to nibble on - either a handful of almonds or a couple of plain crackers/biscuits
Eating small amounts of protein through the day rather than carbs. Carbs help sometimes but the protein is much better. I found scrambled eggs, almonds, turkey or chicken and cottage cheese the best for me.
Vitamin B6 supplements

It's miserable and I was completely unprepared for it this time as I only had mild nausea with DS. It gets better though, but just making it through 1 day at a time is really hard work xx

I also had HG with DD (although no sickness so far for this one). I was given cyclizine but it didn't work for me and ultimately the only thing that worked for me was stays in hospital getting rehydrated as i couldnt even keep water down. Then they changed my sickness tablets at the hospital and they were slightly better as i could manage not to be sick but they were pretty much a sedative so i just slept a lot. I would say that although noone wants to go into hospital and on a drip and stuff, if the doctor reccommends it i would go - as it makes life impossible if you don't have any water or food in you and are constantly fainting and stuff! Also LOTS of sleep!

(and you know what they say ... bad pregnancy, good birth!! haha) :flower:

My dr told me snacking helps, and she was right. I carry peanut butter crackers in my purse, keep fruits in my purse always something I can munch on. It helps.

My dr told me snacking helps, and she was right. I carry peanut butter crackers in my purse, keep fruits in my purse always something I can munch on. It helps.

I have a grocery bag that I carry to and from work with me everyday, it has all my snacks in there. My coworkers laughed at me at first but I didn't care. It has helped alot with my sickness during the day.

Right now for me, morning is worst, mostly because of stuffy nose and drainage down back of throat. And evenings started getting back about a week ago.

Ginger beer works wonders for me ... when my MS was all day and really bad, once i started drinking ginger beer by the time i finished the beer the nausea was gone. The ginger and the bubbles is so soothing. I don't know where id be without the ginger beer.

Ritz crackers saved me - although I was still sick or dry heaving too.

Just wanted to say I had it horribly at 7/8 weeks - in the last week it has really started to ease up xx

I found that taking Zyrtec before bed helps drastically the following day for nausea. However the day following taking Zyrtec I'm nearly dead tired. I either have really bad MS or too tired to care. Fighting being tired is sometimes easier than fighting the nausea.

I have had near constant nausea for almost 2 weeks. Today has been dreadful.

I would appreciate any tips on what works for you as I didn't have this in my last pregnancy (which already feels like I had it easy in comparison).

If you can find crystalized ginger that will help. It is a naturalway to ease a queesy tummy.

My Dr. said I could take Embetrol and 100mg B6.

I'm doing 100mg B6, Sea Bands, candy laying around. Still nothing takes it away.

Thank you everyone. There are so many lovely ladies on here.

I've had a much better couple of days and have found eating a dry cracker before I get up has helped ease the nausea to a bearable level. I've tried to continually graze throughout the day. I've wanted cold fruit, toast, carrots and tomato ketchup, not all together though. The smell of greasy foods and cakes make me want to run a mile. I'm still struggling driving and I have no idea how I'll get a train if I need to for work!

I felt so bad Sunday I didn't know how I'd cope if it didn't improve. I don't know how all the ladies with HG are coping, I have complete respect for you xxx

I still can't cope...

Try adding things that are rich in magnesium as apparently that's one of the things that can cause the problem - in pregnancy our magnesium absorption/uptake is reduced. I think that's actually how the B6 is meant to work - it aids magnesium absorption so stick with it but also add nuts and green leafy veg if you can face it. Honestly, almonds saved me at the worst point as they're a good source of magnesium but also a natural antiemetic. I hope it gets better for you soon :hugs:

lyingdwn can make me worse. I havent found triggers etc as i can spew milk,water etc ack up thought was passing but got in from docs 3.30pm an spewed hadnt been sick since 9:45am was just mouthful. I neaely went docs last week for something as i was constantly sick dont think kept much in an lips started gettin dry. Been like this since late 7weeks now 9+2 with 3rd nvr had ms with prev 2 (boy an girl) ecept when traveling or my acid/heartburn got to bad.i take 1 rennie before bed to reduce acid ( dont feel acidy hence only 1) since sat couldnt eat dinner as thought made me naseous or i felt awful. Dont like ginger so cant use that. I bought herbak teas(not keen on those but need drink thts not fizzy as am lickly ger pre eclamsia, also bad for heartburn). Got 12wk scan on 20th but had uti on last weds at 8+1 an think getting another,went docs who sent sample off but hed did say was stuff in it ie blood, protein etc. I had early scans prev pregs. Didnt ask sickness stuff due not vomiting all day an feeling fine. Thought, smell an taste puts me off food plus whod wanna eat after vomiting or when you feel awful. Had bacon roll tonight , didnt enjoy but need eat. Just had ice cream an peach halves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->