How to feed kids at a party??

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
Help!
My dd2 has her birthday party in a week. There will be about 40 kids (no idea how we ended up with so many!)
So yeah, how do you feed them? The place I have booked sets up the tables in a horseshoe shape, and has another table up too. Do I spread the food out along the tables where the kids will be sitting, or do I put out all the food and plates on the extra table and let them fill their plate before sitting down?
I'm thinking with 40 kids, food on the table where they sit will be easier as then they won't need to wait in a big queue?
I'm actually dreading it. How much food do I actually need for that many mouths?! Like my girls usually grab 3 or 4 cocktail sausages, does that mean I need 150 sausages? 😂😂

Any advice to make things easier is much appreciated. I've only done one party before and that was 3yrs ago and nowhere near as big!

Thanks 😊

Will parents be with them? Usually the parents help them with food but if not I think having a few platters spread out so they can just help themselves and then the adults pass them around.

My girls are having their party at a soft play and that's how it has been done when we went before XxxX

Can't help about the amount of food. Maybe estimate 2-4 items per child (sandwiches, picky bits, handful of crisps).

Hope she has fun X

You could set up platters with sandwiches (cut into 4 triangles) with the usual fillings: ham / cheese /jam.
Platter of sausage rolls / cocktail sausages and then a few bowls of crisps. Then maybe some cakes (morrisons do those tubs with 20 choc rolls / cookies etc). They are always on offer.

Another party my lo went to had a good idea. They had premade up bags (1 small sandwich - either ham or cheese), 1 small bag of multi pack crisps and a juice box, and a small treat, think it was a lolly). They had a small sticker on the bag that had cheese and dished them out depending what kids wanted. My lo loved it and ate it all. All the kids sat down and scoffed their bags, almost like floor picnics.

I always think when they have buffets there seems so much waste as parents panic and put loads out. Plus if kids are helping themselves they just grab crisps and sweets. Or to cut costs get plastic cups, get large jugs of water and take diluting juice. The wee fruit shoots and cartons cost a lot to buy in bulk.

We just had a party for my daughter and had 30 kids attend. I spent about £50 on food which I thought was reasonable. Instead of sandwiches, we did hot dogs. We cooked them at home (we cooked all 60 together and it took literally 5 mins) and then kept them warm in a slow cooker until it was time for lunch. We then had a selection of crisps, fruit, cakes and choccy/biscuit items for the kids to help themselves. We made enough hot dogs for the grown ups as well and they went down really well. We had more than enough to feed everyone but not too much we didn't end up taking loads and loads home. We were left with one big bowl of crisps, a bowl of cucumbers (we used two cucumbers but needed one really) and a bowl of cherry tomatoes (we used a whole pack, but half a pack would've been plenty).

Definitely put the food out in bowls/containers in front of the kids. If you put it on the spare table, they will have to queue and it will just be chaotic. It will also take so long for them all to get what they want.

Hope that helps!

You could set up platters with sandwiches (cut into 4 triangles) with the usual fillings: ham / cheese /jam.
Platter of sausage rolls / cocktail sausages and then a few bowls of crisps. Then maybe some cakes (morrisons do those tubs with 20 choc rolls / cookies etc). They are always on offer.

Another party my lo went to had a good idea. They had premade up bags (1 small sandwich - either ham or cheese), 1 small bag of multi pack crisps and a juice box, and a small treat, think it was a lolly). They had a small sticker on the bag that had cheese and dished them out depending what kids wanted. My lo loved it and ate it all. All the kids sat down and scoffed their bags, almost like floor picnics.

I always think when they have buffets there seems so much waste as parents panic and put loads out. Plus if kids are helping themselves they just grab crisps and sweets. Or to cut costs get plastic cups, get large jugs of water and take diluting juice. The wee fruit shoots and cartons cost a lot to buy in bulk.

The little sandwich pack is a good idea. A little like a packed lunch. You can get little party boxes too (although be quite expensive if alot of children)
Then have a cake stand with some treats and cakes.

X

Wow, big party! I don't have any advice as I don't think we'll ever be doing a party that big for the kids! I think kids have just as good of a time or better with a smaller more manageable party.

Wow, big party! I don't have any advice as I don't think we'll ever be doing a party that big for the kids! I think kids have just as good of a time or better with a smaller more manageable party.

Party was today and I can say with 100% certainty that she had the best time ever. What 5yr old doesn't love an inflatable obstacle course, bouncy castle, huge hall full of balloons, party games and food?

I don't do this every year, only for their first birthday at school (so 5th birthday) She has been to so many other parties the same and has always been desperate for her own, since she was 2, and she finally got it today. No regrets whatsoever. She won't get the same again, but I'm glad I did it and she had an absolute ball with her friends.

I suppose, but there is no way I would spent that kind be of money on a birthday party, but to each their own.z

Party was today and I can say with 100% certainty that she had the best time ever. What 5yr old doesn't love an inflatable obstacle course, bouncy castle, huge hall full of balloons, party games and food?

I don't do this every year, only for their first birthday at school (so 5th birthday) She has been to so many other parties the same and has always been desperate for her own, since she was 2, and she finally got it today. No regrets whatsoever. She won't get the same again, but I'm glad I did it and she had an absolute ball with her friends.

Glad your DD had the best time! How did you end up doing the food? Sounds like so much fun- I’m an adult and the thought of a bouncy castle and balloons makes me excited :rofl:

I suppose, but there is no way I would spent that kind be of money on a birthday party, but to each their own.z

OP didn’t ask for opinions on the size of her DDs party, comments like that make people feel needlessly guilty!

Glad your DD had the best time! How did you end up doing the food? Sounds like so much fun- I’m an adult and the thought of a bouncy castle and balloons makes me excited :rofl:

OP didn’t ask for opinions on the size of her DDs party, comments like that make people feel needlessly guilty!

I don't feel guilty at all... Lol!

I ended up doing food on the table with the kids. Bowls sort of lined along the middle with the crisps/sweets/biscuits/sausage rolls/sausages and then just went around with the platters and asked them all what sandwiches they would like. There ended up being 38 kids, and they ate every single haribo, every party ring biscuit, every top hat, every sandwich! All that was left really was crisps and a few sausage rolls! They were a hungry bunch lol.
The kids all had an amazing time, and I'm glad I did it. Will have to do it all again next year for my youngest as she will be at school (and shes already planning!)

Sounds like everyone had a blast.

My DDs both just had their joint party at a soft play. All done for us apart from a cake. Meant we could relax and have a chat while they ran riot.
I'm all for treating my girls on their birthday, helps they're so close together. Next year were planning a princess/mermaid tea party.
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->