how to tell if a baby is on strike on self weaning?

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I've never had this issue before but my 13 months old for the last 48 hours has refused the boob.
To be honest I don't mind either way but I have been expressing to keep my supply up until I know for sure but my question is, how can I tell?

When should I stop expressing? When I offer boob, he arches his back and blows a raspberry. He even gets upset when I re-offer.

It may be myfalt because he has always been a bit of a biter and has grazed me many times but the other night he bit into me and I said firmly 'no' which I normally do and he cried like he normally does but he hasn't fed since.

Sounds like a strike but might be a convenient point to wean if you wanted to.
Otherwise I'd keep offering and maybe expressing to offer in a cupor on cereal etc if he won't nurse for now.
Xx

To be honest I am sad but ready to stop and if it turns out he has self weaned then all he better x

I know what you mean we stopped at 13 months on a nursing strike/myv work shift pattern meaning I missed over 24 hours of feeds.
Be aware that suddenly stopping can be painful and you'll likely get engorged etc.
Xx

I think if the child is under two you should assume it's a strike rather than genuine weaning, but if you are ready to wean then it would be a useful opportunity to do it with minimal stress.

Well I've continued to pump for the mean time and have continued to offer boob to him but he just bites down and arches his back. I'm giving him a week and if he doesn't go back, then I'm going to try and reduce my pumping then stop to try and reduce engorgement xx

I was told that under 18months to "assume" strike rather than weaning. A strike is quite common after a shock at the breast so maybe when he bit you he saw the pain in your face or was startled by the firmness of the "No"? You can keep offering but I'd do it by asking him whether he wants it, and sitting where you are accessible, rather than actually picking him up on to your knee. Make him in charge of when and whether he comes back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->