How to wean a 19 month-old milk monster

petitpas

Reaction score
Hi, I've always fed on demand and my son loves his milk! He feeds every 2-3 hours at night and several times during the day when he is with me. He eats some food (more when I am not around) but not much and is happy to substitute a meal with milk. He is, however, very good at drinking water from a sippy cup.

Does anyone have any advice on how to start the weaning process? Is it better to start with days or nights or what? Do I need to do something to increase his food intake first or will he do that by himself?
I'm looking for the gentlest way possible to break the feeding habit and wean. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi!!

I'm in the same boat. My sweet
little girl is 16 month and we are having the same problem. I don't know how to wean her??

I can't stand controlled crying so I'm wanting the smoothest way possible.

Please can anyone help? I'm more of a comfort blanket for her and I don't know how to fix it

Xxxxx

We broke night feeds (when she was 9 months), by having DH take control of her bedtime routine and night wakings. She wasn't hungry, just comfort sucking so she soon learned other ways to soothe herself back to sleep without mama around.

Day times were a bit tougher. I started going out LOTS and keeping her so entertained that she didn't even think about feeding while we were out. She'd go off to sleep in her stroller without needing to nurse while we were out, but if we were at home it was a different story, so I just went out ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! I also started trying to distract her from her very quick morning feed by putting Peppa pig (her fave thing in the world) on and giving her breakfast. For her evening feed, I'd let her have a bit and then get out some books to read with her. Each nursing session got shorter but didn't disappear and we were in a steady 2 or 3 time a day nursing routine. Eventually after 5 months of active gentle encouragement to wean, she woke up one morning soon after she turned 19 months and just didn't ask for it anymore. It felt a bit sudden to me to stop completely as it came somewhat out of the blue and I was really sad for a few days but I now love her independence and we still have lots of snuggle time, so it worked out well in the end!

I should add that my daughter refuses to drink any type of milk so I have to give her lots if yoghurt, cheese etc and top her up with calcium and vitamin supplements to make sure she's getting all she needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->