hpv vaccine for girls?

meli1981

D, me, and our crazy 3!
Reaction score
so i got the idea for this thread from another about circumcision. (which im ok with, but not for hpv reasons). they do this vaccine in schools with girls at around 10 or 11, i think. ive heard they take them aside to make sure theyre not pregnant first! and this vaccine is intended for girls who are sexually active as its for the hpv virus, which is sexually trasmitted, right? im all for vaccines, but this one doesnt sit well with me. first of all, my daughter shouldnt be having sex at that age, which i know you cant control everything, but for them to do it in school? how do you feel about it? can you decline the vaccine?

I look at it more as a cervical cancer vaccine. I know its not going to be 100% effective but with 50% of the population getting hpv at some point in their lives it seems safer. I don't know all of the facts about the vaccine but if it is still recommended when my daughter is that age then she will be getting it. I have hpv and I got it from OH. I don't want my daughter to potentially have to go through that or worse.

My new OB just told me that they are also now vaccinating boys for HPV as well and that she got her 12 year old son vaccinated. I agree that it is a cervical cancer vaccine.

The point of doing it young is because most of them wont be sexually active yet, and therefore wont have HPV. If the only offered the vaccine at 18 for example, it wouldnt be as effective because a considerable number of girls would already have it. I wish i had been young enough to get it when it came out! My daughter will definately be getting it. Why wouldnt i want to protect her against cervical cancer if i can?

The point is to do it before coming sexually active. You can't get the shot if you have ever had sex even once/ Usually girls who are about 13 and on get it, i would not get my eleven year old it, maybe 13 . If I had a daughter ( Which i do she is in heaven) I would for sure be getting it for her.. :flower:

The shot is supposed to be given before a woman is sexually active for the best results. It can be given after they are sexually active and still benefit the woman. I had it done when i was 18 in the catch up program and i already had a baby. The doctor still wanted to do it and still thought it would be beneficial to me.

I was in college when they were offering the hpv vaccine but I was a few months too old to receive it. I don't think it will encourage young people to engage in sexual activities but when they are older it can help to protect them from some strains of the hpv virus.

The shot is supposed to be given before a woman is sexually active for the best results. It can be given after they are sexually active and still benefit the woman. I had it done when i was 18 in the catch up program and i already had a baby. The doctor still wanted to do it and still thought it would be beneficial to me.

Oh wow I didn't know that, I thought it should only be given if you never had sex. Thanks for the info.. :flower:

I had it when I was 16 well I had two of them in the normal time but the last I had to wait untill after my LO was born (I was 17 by then) I was worried about the gap but the gp said not to worry :) my daughter like with all of her jabs will be having them, anything that is being offered that could potentially save her life one day she'll be having :flower:

Will absolutely be making sure E has this vaccine. There are other vaccines given in school and this is no different.

The other thing is, they think HPV can be transmitted by deep kissing, or skin-to-skin contact with affected skin. So they have to give it as early as possible before kids might have even that low level of contact. Your daughter could be the purest paragon of virtue ever, get married age 20 to another virgin, naturally, and still catch HPV as her new husband once deep kissed another girl years before. Not to mention, unfortunately in this world not all sexual activity is wanted or consented to.

So I will give any future daughters the vaccine, I will have it myself if when tested I do not yet have HPV, and if it is available for boys when Ro is older he'll have it (and I would consider going private for him to have it anyway if the NHS won't provide it to him).

I had it at 17 and was already sexually active. :shrug:

I will be getting the vaccine for my girls.

im not against vacines, it just seems there is a vaccine for everything these days. where does it end? besides its for hpv, not nessasarily for cancer, and other factors contribute to cervical cancer. not just contracting hpv. (and im really hoping my girls arent sexually active until after high school, might be naive but thats the way i feel)

I hope the same thing meli!! I feel like there is too many vaccines, but when I research them, the alternative is bad! I have never had cervical cancer, and never will (I have no cervix) but it is quite common, so that woud be on less thng, BUT I still want hm to have safe sex!!

it kinda does feel like a fall back. you get this vaccine and it protects you from hpv, some girls might think theyre protected against everything, so they dont practise safe sex. could result in worse stds or pregnancies.

I had it at16 and was already sexually active. They only asked if 'there was a chance you was pregnant' before giving the jab. They now give it to you at 11/12/13 as OHs 12 year old sister had her first in the corse of 3 a few weeks back :) I see itas more of cervical cancer jab. It never made me think im protected from catching an sti :)

im not against vacines, it just seems there is a vaccine for everything these days. where does it end? besides its for hpv, not nessasarily for cancer, and other factors contribute to cervical cancer. not just contracting hpv. (and im really hoping my girls arent sexually active until after high school, might be naive but thats the way i feel)

Not everyone who has HPV will go on to develop cervical cancer ... but everyone who gets cervical cancer will have HPV.

There may well be other factors that contribute to the cancer developing (ie being run down, stress etc) BUT without the HPV there is no cervical cancer.

I wasn't ever sexually promiscuous but I caught HPV from my 2nd husband at the age of 30, developed full blown cervical cancer when I was 37 and had to have a radical hysterectomy (which included my ovaries).

Frankly it's not worth the risk not to vaccinate :shrug: I don't EVER want my daughters or granddaughters to go through what I went through :nope:

i so sorry you had to go through that:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->