Hyperemesis Gravidarum - How do I know when it's not just 'morning sickness'?

LadyHutch I just want to say I really admire you. I have posted on a number of your threads throughout this pregnancy of mine and you have had to endure so much! I am so happy that your pregnancy is lasting and with every passing day you come closer to the end of HG and ultimately holding a new little baby to love and nurture. Keep holding strong! Praying for all of you ladies suffering!!

Thank you for this post. I suffered HG with my son and am now TTC again - very much hoping I don't get it this time around. I was sick till the end with my son :(

Thank you for this post. I suffered HG with my son and am now TTC again - very much hoping I don't get it this time around. I was sick till the end with my son :(

There are things you can do to help lessen the impact and prevent the horror from getting out of control. I assume since you are TTC you are already taking prenatal vitamins. Good. Gain some weight now if you are on the slender side...it will lessen the impact of the weight loss. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gained 25-30 lb intentionally before getting pregnant again. Talk to your doctor in advance, and get a prescription for Diclegis to fill as soon as you get two lines on a test. Start taking it before you get sick. Make a plan now to work through possible hospital stays, child care for your little one in case you are too sick. Line up friends and family that can help with cooking, housework, and caretaking. Make freezer meals and casseroles you can stick in the crock pot or oven so you won't have to cook (about 4 months worth if you have the freezer room). Line up a good OB that understands HG and is willing to prescribe zofran or reglan (whichever works for you) and home health care if you require frequent IV hydration. Prepare your significant other and your family. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Get involved in the HG community on facebook and with helpher.org and beyondmorningsickness.com. They have awesome advice for preparing, preventing and support.

I'll be praying for you!

Hope you are getting one step closer to feeling better !!! Zofran was a joke for me:/ I have pounding headaches and bad cramps from dehydration...... Hoping the end is near!! Less than 4 wks til the 2nd trimester.... Hoping that's the golden gate to living life again!

Hope you are getting one step closer to feeling better !!! Zofran was a joke for me:/ I have pounding headaches and bad cramps from dehydration...... Hoping the end is near!! Less than 4 wks til the 2nd trimester.... Hoping that's the golden gate to living life again!

Not feeling much better yet, in fact, I think I am in the worst of it now. Zofran helps me not puke, but nothing...NOTHING...touches the nausea. I am holding out for week 20, which they say for HG is the golden week. If I get better before then, I'll call it a miracle and thank God profusely.

I'm emotional and frustrated but I keep holding tight to God and the baby seems to be doing well so, I keep my chin up. Hope you are doing ok too!

Good advice!!!! I think what's the absolute worst is not being able to cook for my family, it breaks my heart !!! I'm able to throw together a bowl of cereal, or whip up a quick sandwich.... But dinner..... Is a task I can't handle.... The smells of meat and spices/ herbs give me migraines and reactivate everything stirred up all day.... I don't even want somebody cooking in my house!! We rarely eat fast food and seems like the past few wks it's a daily occurance and it kills me!! Although fries are one of the very few things I can handle eating... Unfortunately lol. But my dr said its not what you eat that counts its what you eat that actually stays down .....but I guess when ur not gaining weight then it's no big deal to eat on a daily basis anyways ..... At least that makes me feel less guilty ! So all in all I'd say start cooking and freezing right now while u still feel good!! Fill the freezer to the max for ur family at least ..... Also do a really good cleaning/disinfecting to your house right now too!!! There will be none of that going on with GH .......
Hope all the sickly ladies are hanging in there and holding on tight!! One day closer to the end !! And wishing the best of luck to all the ladies TTC !!

LadyHutch how far are you now? I'm with you .... I have been literally glued to the couch and can't lift my head up or even type on this forum because the nausea is unreal..... I try to eat crackers all day.... I can't drink water as it makes the nausea 10x worse but I drink it anyways becaus I know I have to.... I think about baby when times get tough and every sip is for baby......

11w5d today. 9 more weeks of hell, I hope. I am praying for the resolution at 20 weeks.

today is 7w1d of constant nausea.

:( that's so sad.... I have had the severe nausea for 4 wks now ..... I think the dehydration is causing my migrains making the nausea worse ...... Praying for yours to let up sooner than later!!!! Hopefully it will slowly subside as u ease up
To 20wk......
Did your dr advise a special diet for you? I don't know what to eat/...... Even a banana has me gagging..... I dry heave after a few bites of most anything.... I feel like maybe its the fact of anything touching inside of my mouth is making me sick ? I don't understand :( I have been miserable before with my last two.... But never debilitating like this!

Doc tells me to follow any craving, eat anything i can keep down. No special diet instructions, just to eat anything I can. Right now, egg salad sandwiches are my best bet. Last week or two ago it was pita bread and plain hummus. ginger ale to drink.

when i find something safe to eat, i stick with it until I can't anymore. I eat as much of it as I can. Right now, a half an egg salad sandwich every 6-8 hours is my diet.

I was diagnosed with HG when I was carrying my daughter. It went about week 15 and then just had sickness on & off throughout. I was able to eat & drink more so was no longer dehydrated. Medication did not help me! I'm hoping i don't get it again as hugging the toilet all day long & hsbing zero energy from no food or fluids with an active toddler doesn't seem like fun! Hope you ladies feel better soon x

Lots of morning sickness posts today. Bumping to help anyone who might have it so bad they are worried so they can compare.

Good morning ladies. I am going to cross post this on several HG groups, so I apologize if you see it multiple times. But I feel it is important to share, so I want to get the word out. I am going to the high risk doctor today, and one of the things we are going to discuss is going on mirtazapine (remeron, remergil) for hyperemesis for the remainder of my pregnancy. I printed out every study I could find to strengthen my case for why I want it. I was on it for an unrelated reason in my first pregnancy and I only had 2 weeks of nausea and vomited only 2-3 times my entire pregnancy. I am convinced the mirtazapine is the reason I didn't get sick. I am sharing this so that I can update you on whether i am able to get it, and if I do, how effective it is so that you can try it if you like. I want to share any possible solution. I was planning to wait until 14 weeks to try it but I can't wait any longer. I need a solution now, and want to avoid a zofran pump, which is the current forecast for the next solution they offer. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will update the comments on this with my progress. Best of luck ladies, lets pray this works.

Hi lady, I commented on another thread you were on. I had severe sickness with dd 12 years ago. I was in the hospital twice dehydrated and would even puke up a Popsicle! I'm finally pregnant again and starting to get nauseous and have food aversions. I'm so scared it will be severe again! It didn't go away until 6 months pregnant. And it was scary and miserable. I couldn't work or function. I mentioned that I'm going to try acupuncture this time. I go every week but she's already shown me the points and sent home needle tabs in case it hits between appts. I really need to be able to work and function. Of course it took ivf and a severe case of ohss to concieve this one (or 2) so I know if it's severe I can get through it and it will be worth it! But I'm praying it's more manageable this time. I really want to enjoy my pregnancy. I know how you guys are feeling and it will pass and be but a memory one day!

I'll also add that the dr prescribed me several meds last time and nothing helped. Please tell me there's something new!

What will they give you if zofran doesn't work? Zofran was a miracle drug for my last pregnancies.... This pregnancy it isn't even touching the nauseA..... I'm so upset, I quit taking it because why put the extra drugs in my baby if its not helping any bit at all..... :( feeling so lost... I have a dr apt next wk. good luck ladyhutch getting the meds you need and want, keep us posted!

I was prescribed compazene, which kind of helped but then I experienced joint tension and they told me that was a sign of allergic reaction and to stop taking it. And phenegren (or something) and zofran

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->