Hypermesis Gravidarum, anyone else?

Tracersaurus

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry if this post belongs somewhere else, it's hard for me to navigate (not by fault of the site, it's just my eyes being really sensitive to light and movement).

I was wondering if anyone else is going through this right now as no one seems to understand. I truly want to punch my co workers who talk like it's my fault for allowing myself to be this sick - or better yet, compare me to someone they know who had morning sickness once.

Here's a rundown of my life now (I apologize if it gets too graphic/tmi)

I can't care for my two little girls and need to rely on friends and relatives almost exclusively (I think I have seen them a few hours in the last week) and they always say "I'm sorry you're not feeling good mommy :( maybe if you feel better you can play with us later?"

Every night I toss and turn trying to get comfortable enough to keep whatever pittance I ate that day down, at leat until the medications kick in.

I had been waking up at 5 or 6 am each day to vomit or dry heave for an hour + until all that comes up is blood. Then I get in the car and drive to work at a grocery store, full of smells. All the while vomiting 30+ times a day, easily. Always bloody. Nothing stayed down.

I am VERY very lucky if I can keep anything down on the combination of zofran and diclegis but once I add the phenegren suppository I have maybe 30 mins to an hour to try and get something in me before I am konked out for half the day.

Dr has me taking a 2 week leave of absence from work to be essentially bedridden in hopes that we can get the meds to work their magic and get me to a somewhat normal state. I know my boss will be upset and my husband keeps trying to nudge me to keep working despite the dr asking me to take the time off. I have lost 10 lbs in 7 weeks with about 3 lbs just in the last week.

My dr has yet to actually mention HG to me but he has been putting it as the reason for my meds on the prescriptions he gives me. I think maybe it is because I haven't lost a high enough percentage of my body weight? Either way, no one seems to get what a nightmare this is! Everything sets me off. Smells, colors, motion, sounds, visual textures even. The nausea and vomiting started alarmingly early on and got dangerously severe at 6 weeks (now at 7 weeks).

I have been asleep for the majority of the last week since being on the zofran and diclegis and it is now day 2 on the suppositories am finally feeling the tiniest bit better, although perpetually groggy and still nauseated.

I still can't keep much fluid down and am hoping I can get through this without needing iv treatment, but I haven't kept any beverage down in 3 days (if we count applesauce as a beverage then I have kept 2 cups down and 2 bananas. Last night I managed a bowl of soup and with great effort I managed to keep it down... The first substantial amount of nutrition in a very long time).

Mental alertness is now a joke, the other day I got extremely confused by the existence of birds. I saw a flock flying and it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. I just knew the movement freaked me out and when I remembered that "birds are a thing" I wasn't sure if I needed to laugh at myself or just shake my head (actually I didn't do either, I just threw up because their crazy movements while I was in a moving vehicle at the same time was just way too much for me to handle).

Please tell me someone else is going through this too. Please help me find the ways to explain to others that this isn't something to be trivialized. Or at the very least, thanks for letting me share.

sorry im not going through this now but I have been in the past and I saw your post and had to stop to send you some massive hugs!! HG is a living hell and the worst thing is know one around understands remotely what it feels like unless they have been through it. I guess I was 'lucky' that my mum had also been through it when she was pregnant so at least I had some sympathy.

I totally understand that everything makes you feel sick even certain colours made me want to vomit. All I can say is you are a stronger person than me still going to work, I couldn't even get showered every day let alone go to work I got signed off from 6-20 weeks and then I quit my job you are one strong mumma!

I know theres not really anything I can say to make you feel better I just wanted to say hang in there you WILL get through it! and don't listen to anyone else if you need the time off work then take it; look after yourself and your baby first and foremost as that's all that matters. just take it a day or hour at a time and keep in mind tomorrow could be the day you wake up and feel fine xxxx

Hi
I'm a fellow hg sufferer. (Ended up in icu with organ failure it was so bad)
I'm so sorry your feeling so awful.
Perhaps you should mention hg to him?
I'm 100% that's what you have.

If you have this discussion with him perhaps then you could discuss other options such as a picc line?

I'm not sure how it works where you are.

I had to end up in icu before I was given any home meds.

I totally get the mental reasoning/understanding thing.
I thought day was night, thought that my nephew was there with me at times. Could see the words I wanted to speak in my head but could not say them.

If yyou have Facebook there are lots of groups on there.
I can't post links here as it's against forum rules.

hugs hun.
Xx

I've never suffered this but wow, thanks for explaining it a bit. I new what is what (severely sick) but I didn't ever imagine all that you have explained.
I can't give any advise but I really really hope you start to feel better soon.

Hey, I have it. I think I'm on the tail end now, but i ended up in hospital on an IV for it. I know how badly it can suck. People don't fully get it unless you have it. I puked through my nose for days. Big hugs, for some it does decrease.

Oh you poor thing :hugs:
I'd love to bring you fellow HG sufferers some good news but the truth is I'm 33 weeks and still get sick (not as bad as before, but some days are still horrible.)
I lost 9kgs in 2 weeks and was admitted to hospital 3 times for IV fluids.
I'm glad you kept some soup down, at one point the only thing I could keep down was pumpkin soup.
Perhaps the hospital may not be a bad place for you? Quiet, constant access to IV fluids which definitely make you feel less lethargic and they can give you other medications too and then people in your life may understand how serious HG is. Good luck xx

Thank you for the responses. They made me smile. I have been feeling really down and just having someone understand and not make me feel like an inconvenience is really nice. I asked the Dr when I would know if I need to go to the hospital and he was kinda vague about it. He said we should try the new medication combo but if that if I am not better in a few days to go in for IV treatment. That doesn't really give me an idea of what it feels like to reach that "emergency" point or how long "a few days" really is.

I had some hope this morning as I woke up sick at 8:30 instead of 6 and I only threw up a few times instead of for what usually feels like an eternity. I was able to lay down most of the morning and got the diclegis down with some applesauce along with my prenatal. Come afternoon, however, the sickness crept back up with a vengeance. You know the kind that makes your body go numb and tingly, everything gets just a little dark and for just a second you wonder if you're about to literally die. That's the worst kind of throwing up in my opinion. It's terrifying!

My hopes for a normal-ish feeling day were dashed but then I saw the responses. I will just keep trying, even if it's an hour at a time. I kept the applesauce down long enough to get something out of it so I will just keep trying as much as I can. My poor husband is stressed out as it is, I think a hospital visit this early would put him in shock so I want to avoid it if I can.

Thank you.

Bless you, you poor thing. I've been really sick but nothing in comparison to you. My advice would be to accept any help offered to you and take some time off from work, my doctor has signed me off for two weeks and I'm already thinking that won't be enough. I'm off to bed now and I feel relieved that another day is done, I just wish I knew how many more days of feeling like this I've got to come. First tri can "do one" as far as I'm concerned, I've had my fill already!! Big hugs to you xxx

You poor thing!

As others have said, put you and baby first. I am personally amazed you are still working! Don't put off going to hospital, it is so easy to become dehydrated and tbh I'd be surprised if you are not already.

I don't have hg just severe nausea and vomiting maybe once every few days so I can't IMAGINE how you feel :nope: I'm so sorry you feel this way and frankly it seems like your Dr isn't all that concerned which surprises me!!! You are amazing for still working I can barely make it through the day so I have no idea how you do it. Just think of you and baby right now!!! :hugs:

Thank you. My stressed out husband needs a crash course in understanding from you guys. He's barely spoken to me today and most of it has been to tell me about what he still needs to do to get ready for the 4 year olds birthday party tomorrow (in not super kind tones) and how I need to calm down (I woke up vomiting from the pungent smells of his cooking and started to sob) because it's not going to help anything. Or he asks about when I think I will go back to work and what days he can rely on me to watch the kids etc. I get the occasional hug now and then or a pat on the back but that's all I think he has left in him at this point.

I feel like I can't sleep another minute but if I get up the world turns into a spinning 6 flags ride and I want off! TV triggers it, music is a bit hit or miss and I can only look at my phone if the screen brightness is all the way down at 0 (like now) and I still can't scroll much.

Those of you who needed iv fluids, did you have to go to the er for them or could you just go to a regular hospital and wait like any other patient? I ask because my insurance can be real sticklers about er visits they don't deem as an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->