• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hyphenating last names for babies?

MariposaTam

Reaction score
So currently my OH and I are not married (not legal yet in Illinois-fingers crossed the motion passes!) Nor are we civil unioned (legal here, but haven't made the move to it yet, no real reason other than legally married is way better)- however we are thinking ahead for our kids :baby:.

I am thinking of hyphenating because I'm an only child and I only have one male cousin on my dad's side with the possibility of carrying down the last name-he's 19 right now. My OH is one of 3 girls, and has only one male cousin on her dad's side- he has children but he is a bit distanced from the family, so she would like to pass her name down as well.

The problem is, that together the last names create 11 letters, 12 spaces if you count the hyphen (ya know, on forms and such :roll: ). They also both start with a P, making the initials PP lol. We have a girls name picked out (I would love 2 boys but upon reading this post I feel like I haven't got much of a choice ha ha! :rofl: ) and the initials would be A.M.P.P... at least it's not an I for the first name-remind me to cross Iris off the list :haha:

I guess my question is, what do you guys think? Is 11 letters hyphenated too much of a burden? We considered creating a last name out of both together for all of us, but it just does not feel the same to me-almost like I may as well take her name if I'm going to create a new one anyway.

Any suggestions?

Also, I posted here but thought of posting in the baby names section, just not sure if it is OK?

Billy has a hyphenated surname. To be honest I hate it - it sounds really like we are trying to be posh. But it really was the only option to make sure that he would be associated with both of us so we went with it anyway. Just hope he doesn't find writing difficult - will take him ages to learn to write his name!

We did think about hyphenating our names but I decided to take my wife surnames. However I still wanted my surname to be there so we decided to use it as a middle name. It's an option. xx

Kezza, I did think of that except that neither of our last names can really pass as a middle name, as in they don't sound like names. Granted, I'm half Colombian, and Colombian tradition is to have a billion names in general, and most of them get used regularly lol. Thanks everyone, I'll keep pondering!

Edited to add that we do plan on getting either married or at the very least a civil union before we bring a baby into our lives!!

Good luck! I hope it becomes legal everywhere very soon!!! Anyway, I don't think the last name thing is a burden... I think, given your situation, it's a great idea! I have a hyphenated first name, which is 11 letters long put together, without the hyphen. I use my first-first name for forms, and since my full first name is linked to my social security number, I can get away with it not being perfect on the form because any accounts I open and government stuff gets put under my full first name anyway.

My SIL hyphenated her last name to keep the name in the family, but she didn't do it to the kids because it would have been very long. DS may decide some day to drop one of the last names anyway, if he so chooses. If it were me, I'd let it go. or, you could have two middle names, the second one being your last name. That way it's still in there, but not a hyphenated last name, and middle names aren't used as much. My son has two middle names, but they both start with M so he can still use three initials, and will likely use the first middle name the most

Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear everyone's opinions :) We still haven't made a decision but hearing from those who have experiences definitely helps!

my sons name is hyphenated and I do cringe a little when it comes up on the screen at the doctors as his first name is seven letters the 9 for the last name.. then they put master in front, it looks huge lol but sounds nice and it was a way to keep us both included... I don't think it will matter much as your little one grows he/she will just take it in their stride and not really think about it x

I have thought about hyphenating my daughters name, but I think I'm just going to change mine and my daughter's last names to my partners last name. I should have changed my last name before she was born to make things less paperwork, but I ran out of time. My partner's and my last names don't sound good hyphenated, anyway.

My initials are GDDG and my names hyphernated, my surname is 14 initials long, 15 including the hyphern. I like it, have always been different and people always comment on it but I will actually be really sad when I get married to see it go.

xxx

Sheepy- I've thought of that too, it would be much easier to just take her name especially since hers is shorter, easier to say and starts with the same initial! But I really am having a bit of a hard time letting my name go especially since I'm already 27 and have had my name so long! And I also would love to have someone in my family succeed- high hopes for our future little one!

Geebug- glad to hear from someone with personal experience. I am glad to see that hyphenating wouldn't necessarily be such a burden if we decide to go through with it!

I think it depends on the last names, and in your situation, my opinion is that it would be too much of a last name...LOL.

Side note: Can you get married in another state? Ugh, I feel like our country is still back in the era where women couldn't vote and African Americans had to walk on the opposite side of the streets as Whites. EQUAL RIGHTS! I mean, after all.. You are a tax payer too!! ;)

Thanks SLC! I Wonder if it would help to give you guys similar last names as a reference...

How about-Pasada and Trace

Trace-Pasada or Pasada-Trace...

We could get married in another state, so many of them have already passed the law whilst others are well on their way. Illinois is actually one of those on the way-currently waiting for the state house to review the proposed bill, because the state senate already voted yes to push it forward. Its a matter of getting it all the way there!

Illinois is my home state and I love living here, I really hope this law passes soon as it would only make it better. As I said before, we do have civil unions. My partner and I haven't gotten one yet partially because we've been holding out waiting for real marriage-not that I really want a traditional marriage (OH kind of does..thats another story though!) but we definitely agree that we want the equal rights that come with it.

Anyhow, thanks for the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"