I didn't expect to be here yet...

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
I just completed my first semester of school and DH and I weren't planning on ttc until January - March of next year so EDD would be shortly after graduation.

My cycle days were starting to get shorter. My previous being 30 days opposed to my usual 33-34 days. I figured I'd start sooner than my app said since my app was going based on average and my average was off since my cycle was changing. But I also thought I wasn't supposed to start until today or tomorrow.

I checked my app yesterday and realized I was supposed to start yesterday, so I just figured maybe I was having a longer cycle. I've been checking cervical position daily for the last several months (I just like to know what's going on - gives me a better sense of what my body is doing). I've still not been able to completely pinpoint ovulation. I wasn't even 100% I was ovulating yet. The minipill stopped me from ovulating long after I stopped taking it last March.

Normally CP is low and open a few days before I start. When I checked last night, it was high(er) up and closed. I felt stupid for even thinking being pregnant was a possibility. I even felt more stupid testing this morning.

My jaw nearly hit the floor when the first test came back positive. I went out and got a FRER and that came back positive too.

I'm not quite sure how to tell DH though. I mean, I've just started school, supposed to graduate August 2016. We weren't even going to start ttc until this time next year. He's going to have a total meltdown when I tell him. I'm thinking of maybe telling my mom first so I can have a support system in place when he goes to pieces.

I'm probably going to have to drop out of my program at some point and won't be able to re-enroll until Fall 2016 (after I was supposed to graduate). It's all going to depend on if there's any complications, c-section or vbac, familial support (as LO wouldn't be able to go to daycare until at least 6 weeks old), and the school's support and willingness to accommodate which I really doubt that will be possible. I'm not saying that they wouldn't be willing, but because of the program, I don't know if I'd be able to fulfill all the requirements to pass.

Now I just have to figure out what the heck I'm going to say to DH and how. I need to find a way to mentally prepare myself for his reaction. I may wait until Friday when we can really sit down and talk. Tonight is my first night back for the second semester and I can't just dump that kind of information on him right now when we will barely see each other for the next few days and won't have a chance to sit and talk about it.

ETA: pic on the right was first morning pee. The one on the left was a few hours later.

Attachments

• 20150105_101942_resized.jpg
    20150105_101942_resized.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20150105_075531_resized.jpg
    20150105_075531_resized.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 16
Congratulations. Just put the stick in his hand. Also it takes two so dont feel worried. If he did not want to have a baby he should of been careful. Theres never a guarantee to how long it will take. Hope you get the support you need xx

I understand your stress about the timing. I just went back to school this semester as well, will graduate the same time as you and I am just over 9 weeks along. DH and I decided we want one of our own (currently a blended family with 8 between us) and started trying right away. I am 35 and he is 42 - I expected some degree of trouble conceiving. Much to my surprise, we conceived the first month officially trying. The timing makes things a little intense but I am certain it will all work out. I think that if people waited until the timing was just perfect, nobody would ever have a baby. A new baby is the ultimate gift and such a blessing - all the other stuff around it can be worked in and around. If I need to take a semester off of school, that's what I'll do. If I can push through and not miss time, fantastic. Either way, at the end of the story, I will have a baby and I will have a degree...the specifics will be sorted out as we go.

I hope that your DH takes the news OK and that you both can get excited despite the obvious challenge ahead. Homework over the last several weeks has been extremely difficult but I am starting to feel better and getting caught up. All my favorite sayings play like a recording in my head: everything happens for a reason, this too shall pass, whatever will be will be...it works!

PS - Congratulations! :flower:

I too understand how tough it can be. I was in graduate school getting my master's degree when I fell pregnant with DS. I graduated just one month before having him. When I was 8 months pregnant, I was still doing 14-18 hour days including classes, internships, etc. It was completely exhausting, but we made it work.

If you have to put school off, I'm sure DH will understand. Plans change! Congrats and happy and healthy 9 months - how exciting :)

Congratulaions!!

It probably won't be easy for him to have a negative reaction if you are happy when you tell him. If you are reluctant and sad when you tell him, he might just feed off of those emotions.

I'm in my final semester right now so I'll graduate 3 months before my due date. I wasn't as excited as I should have been either because I thought I was good about making sure we weren't careless around my ovulation and fertile time.

BUT I can't be upset I mean, I have had a twin pregnancy in the past so I know hyperovulate which means there isn't just ONE ovulation window but possibly two.
We stopped using protection on our wedding night (6 months ago) and if we really didn't want it to happen, we should have been more careful.

We all know how babies are made, right? Your husband knows too so it shouldn't be much of a surprise, right? Try to be happy about it.
I didn't even want to take a test but I was already two days late & my cycle is always RIGHT ON so he insisted on picking up a test and I may have dropped a rather loud F-bomb when that line showed up before th windows even filled up.

I can't take back feeling like I put a damper on my husband's excitement since I wasn't ready but I wish I could.
Be positive!

Even if you can't finish school now, you can always finish at another time. Nothing says you absolutely have to finish when you had planned. I had planned on finishing my business degree this spring but then got a great career and focused on training only to hate it so I resigned. Then found out I am pregnant so not going back until next year. I only have 2 semesters left of my bachelor's but I'll finish when the time is right. :)

Thanks! :)

I already told my mom because I wanted a support system in place if DH doesn't handle it well. With DD, we planned it and he still freaked out. He lost so much sleep and didn't accept things until she was about 4 months old lol

The main reason it's a big deal about me being in school is that I quit my job of 8.5 years to do this. I really think I'll have to stop school and re-enroll later. It pushes it back 1 year, which really isn't that bad.

It's a nursing program, so it'll be tough. I have to get a doctor's note in order to continue. Funnily enough we start the maternity course around EDD.

I'm 100% okay with this even if it means school has to be postponed for a bit. I can always go to school, but I can't always have children. I just need him to get there. I don't expect him to be okay right away, but hopefully with time.

I mean, this shouldn't have been a shock. He hates wearing condoms, so he's been relying on withdrawal method which obviously isn't reliable. There were only 2 times he didn't but that was just within the last week, and at that point, things were obviously said and done.

Bu my mom is stoked. She's already wanting to make a list of things we'll need lol I told her we should probably wait to make sure everything is okay first.

I can always go to school, but I can't always have children.

YES!

I liked this bit too. When I was trying to convince DH to start TTC he would always list off these things he wanted to do before, like holidays, and a new car etc. (We already had one new car anyway, and have been on loads of holidays!) I always told him that you can go on holidays and buy new things anytime, but you only have a small window of opportunity for baby making ;)

Well, I told him this morning. Rather I showed him. We were laying in bed, and I just showed him a picture of the test.

There was a ton of profanity, a bunch of "we're stupid", "irresponsible", "what are we going to do?"

But he calmed down, kept telling me he loves me and that even though it's horrible timing, he already loves this baby. He left work in a seemingly decent mood. I hated doing it before work, but with our schedules, it was either that or waiting until Friday evening, and I think he would have been more upset with me waiting that long.

I am glad it went relatively well. Some people are just reactors - they need that time to overreact before they can process. My dad is like that - big time - and our relationship improved 100% once I learned it and looked past the inevitable freak out. Best of luck to you both - you will be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->