I feel like I've made a big achievement!... and a question

Snowball

Resident badass
Reaction score
This is a silly reason for a thread but here goes...

I went out this morning to buy a pump as I had a hair appointment today and had to leave Ozzie with my DH's nan for a few hours.

I never knew there were so many pumps out there! After meandering around the pump section in Mothercare for a while I decided on the Medela (sp?) mini.

I got home and tried it out straight away and it's fab!!! I had a manual with my others and never managed more than about an once and they bloody hurt but I got 3ozs in 10 minutes! :happydance:

Is 3ozs about right considering Ozzie is 5 weeks? I was worried it might not be enough? That said he had the lot whilst I was out but moaned for no more until an hour after I got back :)

I still can't believe I successfully expressed!:happydance:

One of my local LLL leaders said that the average BF baby only takes 2oz per feed (at any age, they do not increase their intake as they grow, the milk adapts to be more concentrated for them - clever boobies!). Jack certainly only ever takes about that when he gets EBM.

You may find as you get into a routine of pumping that you can get more at each session, but I would suggest storing it in smaller portions to help avoid wasting any that gets left in the bottle.

Well done!!

If you have the time, try to build up your freezer stash now. I found once my supply regulated, pumping became much less efficient and I've since stopped. I'm defrosting my last bag of frozen EBM at the moment as I'm away from LO all day tomorrow :cry:

Hmmm... I might have to disagree with Shifter. (Sorry hun) I do think they need more as they get older. 2-3oz for a 5 week old sounds perfect. Bella is 6 months and will take 5-6oz at bedtime, and maybe 4oz for a dreamfeed if she needs it.

Well done with the new pump! I have the Ameda double electric pump and they work great! :)

Hmmm... I might have to disagree with Shifter. (Sorry hun) I do think they need more as they get older. 2-3oz for a 5 week old sounds perfect. Bella is 6 months and will take 5-6oz at bedtime, and maybe 4oz for a dreamfeed if she needs it.

Well done with the new pump! I have the Ameda double electric pump and they work great! :)

No problem hun. I'm sure it's not universal, I was just passing on info that I got from a qualified BF counsellor and she said 2oz was an average :thumbup: And it is true that breast milk adapts to your baby's needs. I'm sure I've never heard of a BF baby taking 9oz bottles but I've heard of many a FF baby who does :winkwink:

Hi I normally express between 3-4 oz per boob I pump with an electric pump. My milk amount is going up slowly though I think thats with the pumping and Noah is feeding more and more.

Noah is 7 weeks today and takes between 2-31/2 oz. He took 4oz this morning and he brought it back up :dohh: He definitely takes more now than he did a few weeks ago but the amount you pumped is a fine amount for a feed for a 5 week old.

I have found the more I ump the more I get at each pumping session.

Harry never takes more than 4oz... About 3oz is average for him & he's 9weeks old. I agree with the poster who said store it in small quantities though; it feels crap to waste milk when you've worked ahrd to make it & pump it, lol, plus you can defrost it quicker too!

Well done on expressing! :happydance: I felt the same after my 1st go too!

We've only just started offering Toby a bottle of ebm this week- he had 2oz from a bottle wednesday afternoon (that was all that was in the bottle) then today he was offered a 2 and a half oz bottle, but again took 2oz.

I'm sure I've never heard of a BF baby taking 9oz bottles but I've heard of many a FF baby who does :winkwink:

My LO used to have a bottle of EBM before bed and at one point she started taking 9oz!! TBH it prompted me to stop the bottle and go back to the boob because it seemed like alot for a 3/4 month old...

:yipee: Well done!!!!!

As for amount, that sounds about perfect! :mrgreen:

My LO is a hungry monster and tends to eat more (as much as 10 oz one time :shock: ) But usually 4-7 ounces and he's 4.5 months.

Oh my I guess I have a little piggy then. Jacob eats 8-9oz of EBM and then usually feeds just over an hour later to get some nipple time. I had to be gone all day once and Jacob ate 5 9oz bottles:shrug:

Well done on the pumping. It is great that you managed to get so much.

I have no idea about oz, but Abby generally took about 90mls when she had EBM.

My rubbish HV when I asked her said that as 3-4 month FF babies are on 7-8 oz I should offer the same... I seriously stressed about pumping that much! I had to leave him with DH for about 3 feeds :shock:

luckily another mum overheard and sent me a formula she had been gi en to calculate it....

Weight in ounces, divide by 6 then by 8 -

It worked out at about 5oz for G at 4months he took that ( I offered 5.5)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->