I know I'm overly sensitive but....

MrsWhy

2nd time mom :)
Reaction score
My MIL came round this morning after 2 weeks of being on holiday (so I haven't seen her for 3 weeks) and the first words out of her mouth when she saw me were 'wow you've put on a bit of weight whilst we've been on holiday'

I'm already stressing that I've put weight on (even though others have said I've lost it apart from having a bump) and so this comment made me feel really bad about myself. Ended up in tears after they went out. I'll be 33 weeks on tues.

When I mentioned it to OH, he just said I shouldn't be so sensitive and she obviously meant my bump had gotten bigger.

I just found the comment from MIL to be insensitive

What would you have thought if a comment like that was made to you?

Id have cried too. Ive always had an eating issue, so gaining weight is exceptionally hard for me and I hate when people call me big, huge, etc. I just dont think.people.understand how hard it is for some women. :hugs:

As PP said, that would have upset me too as I've always had body image/weight issues as well. If anyone makes a comment about it I sort of grit my teeth and bare it and tell myself they mean my bump but I do still get paranoid about it underneath :hugs:

My FIL always says it to me, wow your massive, I always say "and your excuse?" he's a dick and I want to punch him.. But I always like to get my little digs in too, my MIL wouldnt say anything about my weight though, she struggles with being a fatty too.. Lol..
I'm definitely more sensitive in these last months

I think im different to everyone else because I dont care if ppl think iv put on weight I know different lol!

I was big before I got pregnant so being pregnant is the only time I feel wuite confident in my body because obviously im getting bigger for a reason - so far iv put on 6lbs! X

People always make comments on bumps, weight gain or lack of.

I'd just brush it off, and accept that people are going to comment albeit it very annoying!

Sounds like a case of poor choice of words, to be honest. But, still, the phrase "weight gain" needs to be erased from people's vocabulary when it comes to talking to pregnant women.

My grandad always makes comments about my weight and I generally respond with 'at least mines a baby yours is just steak!' To which my nan normally pays his tummy and reminds him he was planning to go on a diet! I know he thinks he is just joking around and it's not meant as an insult but it does get to me sometimes! Xx

Comments like that piss me off. Sorry your MIL upset you :hugs:

Some nasty bitch in work said to me a few weeks ago that I was 'getting really fat'.

I very calmly said 'Im not getting fat, Im growing a baby and when this baby's born I can lose weight. Unfortunately you're stuck with that face'.

She hasn't so much as looked in my direction since! Xx

I know it's because I'm sensitive at the moment and I know she was really referring to how big my bump is but she could have chosen better words. She's not a vindictive person but sometimes her mouth opens before her brain engages.

My thick skins definitely thinned over the past couple of weeks. I'm blaming the hormones for making me like this ;)

Thanks everyone for your comments xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->