• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I know it's not new but anyone else really hacked off about the child benefit cuts?

1400 has to be full time? These children will go to school at some point?

It will cost me £1300 a month to have 2 children in childcare 4 days a week and that is with one getting 15 free hours a week. Thankfully, the way our income is we get tax credits that subsidise a large proportion of that which is why we probably have more disposable income than families who earn in the £50,000s (helped by the fact we don't pay normal rent) and our income is no where near that. Things are not always what they appear.

Very true! In a small number of cases the lower income families are the 'better off'

Yes it is getting personal. I know that mortgages etc are ridiculous as we had to sell our house as we just couldn't afford to maintain it and we were on only £24000 max a year. To hear people complain that they can't live on £50000 is a bit of a slap in the face to people who are scraping by on less than half that amount.

And as i have already said i think that child benefit should be universal.

Just picking up on this, we have a VERY high mortgage. It was taken pre child. In 2006, during the 'boom'.

Our house is now in negative equity. If we sold it, we would take so much debt from this house on top of having to buy a new one. We would be worse off financially.

We could live without that £80 a month. But we would miss it. Because, same as I did when I earned 10k a year, we live within our means.

This is a debating section. You're all going to have a difference of opinions so bear that in mind. You may not agree with each other :shrug:

If anyone feels the need to get personal it's best they unsubscribe. I don't intend to moderate this thread furthermore unless there is flaming.

^ Exactly, you can live without it.

I think most people can live without it really, I just don't think people who have £50,000 a year are in a position to complain. Maybe I would feel differently if I was there, but from where I am sitting right now, I know whose position I would rather be in.

Child benefit IMO shouldn't be means tested, it either is or it isn't, but again, people on such a high income don't "need" it.

No but you could eat cheaper and give up cars ect for a couple of years? It's do-able surely? For most?

Not you personally. This average family we're imagining?
Oh god no, we're well minted :haha:

I agree it is doable. And the average wage is a liveable wage, and careful budgeting is the key. The figure were to show it's not a "flush" wage. And the follow up to show, that it's not a whole lot more than having a family where a single earner is on the average wage.

This is a debating section. You're all going to have a difference of opinions so bear that in mind. You may not agree with each other :shrug:

If anyone feels the need to get personal it's best they unsubscribe. I don't intend to moderate this thread furthermore unless there is flaming.

Yes so my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses. It seems to be the one rule for one in here nowadays.

I can live without it, yes.

But surely that's an invalid argument, because when we had a joint income of £38k, well below the threshold, we did just as we do now. We put it away for her future. Therefore we didn't need it then, either.

I agree that it shouldn't be means tested. I reckon it should be univrsal or money should be added onto TC for those who do 'need' it.

I have read this whole thread and not once have I seen anyone complain that they can not live on 50k
People earning a less wage get there wage topped up with working tax,child tax, childcare vouchers and whatever else? And pay a lot less tax.
If I remember rightly OP simply was saying how it was unfair they didn't receive yet there neighbours who earn more do, which is surely fair to be annoyed about

^ Exactly, you can live without it.

I think most people can live without it really, I just don't think people who have £50,000 a year are in a position to complain. Maybe I would feel differently if I was there, but from where I am sitting right now, I know whose position I would rather be in.

Child benefit IMO shouldn't be means tested, it either is or it isn't, but again, people on such a high income don't "need" it.

I think it isn't so much that people on 50k are complaining it is being taken away from them, it's that a family next door on 50k, or in some cases up to 80k, are still getting it. It's more the way it's being calculated that's the problem. If you are going to set a limit like that, it should be per household, rather than individually.

Good! I'd even say the threshold could be lowered if they were going to take it on a household basis.

I'm assuming the reason it is done on the individual is because it's the easiest thus cheapest way of calculating it? You can trace it through tax then but if it's household income you'd need people to submit both their wages which would incur more admin? One reason it was always universal was because it would cost MORE to means test it. That's not to say I agree with it, I think it should be on household, but just trying to make sense of it!

Yes exactly that Marinewag, I don't see the hardship in means testing for CB and tax credits in one go though, as surely that doesn't affect it.

If they know that Mr Foo and I are married and can give us a marriage allowance, I can't see how it is so difficult to link us for CB purposes.

Dare I even ask what marriage allowance is??? lol

the other thing to add into this is that for a lot of families its not just £80 a month

i have 3 kids so i get £188 a month, yes i would miss that

It used to be a tax break given to all married couples. The Tories are talking about introducing it again.

Hands up who googled that

*meeeeee*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"