• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I know it's not new but anyone else really hacked off about the child benefit cuts?

If you're out at work all day, and your children are in day care, how is the gas and electric £150 a month? And if things are that bad, you don't take on a £1k a month mortgage? IDK I just think someone on that amount of money could easily live within their means?

Also, there's no way a family of 4 needs to spend that much money on food if money is tight.

Please remove yourself from your highhorse. My opinion counts just as much as yours does.
High horse? Really? Just because I pointed out why your opinion was uncharitable:wacko:

Please remove yourself from your highhorse. My opinion counts just as much as yours does.
High horse? Really? Just because I pointed out why your opinion was uncharitable:wacko:

Superiority complex springs to mind. If you don't like my opinion then feel free to block me. But i will repeat, if you cannot survive on £50000 a year then yes you have major financial issues.

If you're out at work all day, and your children are in day care, how is the gas and electric £150 a month? And if things are that bad, you don't take on a £1k a month mortgage? IDK I just think someone on that amount of money could easily live within their means?

Also, there's no way a family of 4 needs to spend that much money on food if money is tight.
I'm out at work all day and mine is more than that! I guess it depends where you live. Our heating is on a lot in the winter and up where we are its dark pretty much for 6 months!

And usually the house is taken on before the children come along, most people would find it difficult to sell on at the moment with the market as it is.

The point is these are the averages which always seem to pop up in various things. The average family on the average wage would find these are their average costs. Of course savings can be made, but to suggest a family on that wage is rolling in it is not right.

Superiority complex springs to mind. If you don't like my opinion then feel free to block me. But i will repeat, if you cannot survive on £50000 a year then yes you have major financial issues.

This feels like its getting a bit personal.

I'm one of these people with 'major financial issues' as you so nicely put it.

I could go into why my mortgage is ridiculous and I am still skint despite having a very good salary but it's nobody's business but my own. Suffice to say, some of it is my choosing and some of it is just bad luck.

I'm well aware that despite being skint I am in a better position than most. I'd just like to argue, as you do, that child benefit is almost universal and if we are entitled to it we should claim it.

Rolling in it, comfortable, however you want to word it. If you can't live comfortably with that money then something is wrong.

To have a superiority complex one has to give a toss what other people say or do and that's just not me. Similarly, if you don't want people to disagree with you then maybe internet forums are not for you.

The issue is not about whether a family can "survive" on that salary but whether it is considered to be a lot of money. I can't understand why people seem to think those on the average family are somehow stinking rich and deserve no help from the government. And are some kind of stupid if they fall behind with their outgoings.

I don't remember seeing anyone say they couldn't live on £50,000 just that it's not the millions some people on this thread seem to think it is?

The misconception is that the £80 a month is a benefit due to the name, but it wasn't a benefit, it wasn't about enabling people to survive, it was a small token of assistance from the government to ALL parent,s £12,000 annual income or £120,000 annual income it didn't matter. I welcomed the "means testing" but now it has blurred the lines as to what it was meant to represent.

The average family with one person earning 25k is a lot different to two people earning 25k.

Yes it is getting personal. I know that mortgages etc are ridiculous as we had to sell our house as we just couldn't afford to maintain it and we were on only £24000 max a year. To hear people complain that they can't live on £50000 is a bit of a slap in the face to people who are scraping by on less than half that amount.

And as i have already said i think that child benefit should be universal.

The average family with one person earning 25k is a lot different to two people earning 25k.

The average family may well have two average wage earners.

If the average family has only one wage earner, there are a substantial number of means tested benefits available to them.

But lets take that example. The one wage earning family would have 1500 less salary, but 1400 less in childcare fees. Making them no better but no worse off than the average family with two wage earners. But somehow these people deserve sympathy and more help from the government, which actually could leave them in a better situation than the 50k earners.

Yes it is getting personal. I know that mortgages etc are ridiculous as we had to sell our house as we just couldn't afford to maintain it and we were on only £24000 max a year. To hear people complain that they can't live on £50000 is a bit of a slap in the face to people who are scraping by on less than half that amount.

A lot of people don't have to option to downsize at the moment due to negative equity. Even if they did I don't think anybody should judge them for maintaining it and struggling financially just because they want to maintain the family home they have worked hard for? People are being too closed minded on this thread.

Lucky you were able to do that, albeit not ideally what you wanted to do. I couldn't sell my house even if I needed to, not without still owing the bank money, such is the market round our way.

1400 has to be full time? These children will go to school at some point?

I don't think I will change my mind about 50k being alot of money, so maybe we should leave it there lol

It still is a cost that has to be paid for the years the children are at nursery. The bank isn't going to wait until the kids are at school for you to pay the mortgage!

Can we please refrain from getting so personal and please keep to a friendly debate.

No-ones on their "high horse"

No but you could eat cheaper and give up cars ect for a couple of years? It's do-able surely? For most?

Not you personally. This average family we're imagining?

It will cost me £1300 a month to have 2 children in childcare 4 days a week and that is with one getting 15 free hours a week. Thankfully, the way our income is we get tax credits that subsidise a large proportion of that which is why we probably have more disposable income than families who earn in the £50,000s (helped by the fact we don't pay normal rent) and our income is no where near that. Things are not always what they appear.

Can we please refrain from getting so personal and please keep to a friendly debate.

No-ones on their "high horse"

Seriously ?.

So i'm uncharitable but that's okay ??.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back