I know it's not new but anyone else really hacked off about the child benefit cuts?

For god sake she is claiming for her daughters future. Weather she needs it right now or not her daughter is entitled to it

Lau86 - If we were not able to save a good amount for our son, we might have claimed child benefit and done just that with it. I have no problem with people doing this unless they are already able to save a fortune a month for their child and themselves and also take the benefit.

As for giving it to charity - well I hate to sound like one of those smug do-gooders who make everyone around them pass out from the fumes of their own smug-gittyness, but we already give our time and money to a couple of charities very close to our hearts. If we claimed child benefit, I'd be uncomfortable giving it to charity as I would think it was not mine to donate but my sons. Thank you for questioning me so politely :)

I agree with Emyandpotato that we get benefits from paying in to the system already - while some of our services are flawed, we have medical care, education, the fire service, police, social services and a safety net in the form of the benefits system to fall on if we find ourselves in hard times.

I think it is a shame that child benefit is no longer a universal benefit but I also think that if the people who really didn't need it at all hadn't claimed it, we may well have not had the cut off point imposed. Some families with a single earner of £50k actually feel the loss of that money - living in London for example, with a number of children, I can see could give a family less disposable income than a family earning £30k with one child living in Leicester.

My biggest concern is, as a previous poster said, the benefit could well end up being scrapped all together. I remember what it was like when £20 a week could have been the difference between having my electricity cut off or not so I think it would be a shame for the people in need (usually through no fault of their own by the way) to lose even more just because the benefit was over-claimed and we couldn't afford it anymore.

As I said, in my ideal world it would have remained a universal benefit with people asking themselves if they really need it before taking it.

So in a nutshell, I still believe that if you can afford a good standard of living, to save for your childs future and save for your own and still have money left over at the end of the month, it is helping yourself to a piece of cake - a small one admittedly - even though you are full and know it leaves that little bit less for those who are hungry.

Foogirl - I think that disabled children and their parents do not get anywhere near enough assistance, especially as adults as you said. I understand completely saving it for your daughters future. It's the folk who use it to improve the vintage of their weekly bottle of wine slightly or the like that I wonder about.

We've paid a lot into the system and to be honest, it's nice to get a little back as a wee "thank you".

I HATE this attitude. It's disgusting. People don't pay taxes as a nice little pension scheme!!! And we all get a great deal back from taxes; we get health care, police, social services, help if we truly need it etc etc etc... Taxes are paid (thank god) to improve the country. Money that you said yourself you would not struggle without is not exactly helping you, it's just a nice little extra for you. But the thing is, it isn't meant as a "wee thank you", taxes are paid to improve the state of the country, help people in need, and pay for the many many services and provisions we have access to.

I hate this attitude too. The money is there to help those who NEED it, not WANT it.

No wonder the country is in such a state.

I don't think foogirl is wrong whatsoever. The money is being saved for her daughters future. who is to say that sometime down the line (god forbid) her and/or her husband lose their jobs and fall on hard times? What is so wrong about worrying about ensuring your disabled child has a bright future? Every parent wants the best for their child. Yes they may earn a good salary now but the future may be different. Disabled benefits could stop all together. We just don't know. What I find REALLY sad about this country and the people in it is the way we are all against each other, always criticising, judging and blaming. Thats what I find disgusting. If only we as parents could come together and show our children how to care, show love and support each other instead of turning against one another. Its annoying if people are using the benefit for alcohol/cigarettes/clubbing etc but that is a totally totally different issue Xx

I think it ironic that I have worked since I was 14, paid tax and NI since I was 16, never claimed any means tested benefit even when I could have, scrimped and saved through hard times to get a good education with little help from the government - and yet I'm being accused of having a sense of entitlement?

I don't think foogirl is wrong whatsoever. The money is being saved for her daughters future. who is to say that sometime down the line (god forbid) her and/or her husband lose their jobs and fall on hard times? What is so wrong about worrying about ensuring your disabled child has a bright future? Every parent wants the best for their child. Yes they may earn a good salary now but the future may be different. Disabled benefits could stop all together. We just don't know. What I find REALLY sad about this country and the people in it is the way we are all against each other, always criticising, judging and blaming. Thats what I find disgusting. If only we as parents could come together and show our children how to care, show love and support each other instead of turning against one another. Its annoying if people are using the benefit for alcohol/cigarettes/clubbing etc but that is a totally totally different issue Xx

Well said.

I think it ironic that I have worked since I was 14, paid tax and NI since I was 16, never claimed any means tested benefit even when I could have, scrimped and saved through hard times to get a good education with little help from the government - and yet I'm being accused of having a sense of entitlement?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The government say you are entitled so you are entitled.
The rule on the cap of £50k was put in place by the government, why blame individuals?

Again, I'm not disputing that people should be legally entitled to child benefit whatever their income. Just that society is made up of individuals and how individuals act ultimately affects society as a whole. Is it really such a hardship for people with lots of disposable income, plenty in their savings account and a nice lifestyle to consider whether it would be better spent elsewhere when they know they can claim later if they need it?

I get that we all pay taxes - before changing careers in preparation for pregnancy I was on the high taxation rate myself. But just as a few examples -

1) My little brother was given a life saving operation and treatment for his problems as a child which my parents could never have afforded to pay for privately

2) When my then-fiancé was terminally ill and I was a struggling student relying on a pittance to keep a roof over our heads, he received palliative care and treatment to ease his suffering and I was given support and counselling.

3) My Grandmother was given a heart bypass which kept her with us for another 20 years.

4) The person who attacked my best friend was found and jailed by the police

5) I gave birth in an NHS hospital and although it wasn't the best experience due to the funding cuts, they got my son out alive despite him not breathing initially.

All of these things were more than enough "thank you" for paying tax and NI and that's barely scratching the surface.

I've already said I have no issue with what Foogirl is doing with her benefit.

We've paid a lot into the system and to be honest, it's nice to get a little back as a wee "thank you".

I HATE this attitude. It's disgusting. People don't pay taxes as a nice little pension scheme!!! And we all get a great deal back from taxes; we get health care, police, social services, help if we truly need it etc etc etc... Taxes are paid (thank god) to improve the country. Money that you said yourself you would not struggle without is not exactly helping you, it's just a nice little extra for you. But the thing is, it isn't meant as a "wee thank you", taxes are paid to improve the state of the country, help people in need, and pay for the many many services and provisions we have access to.

I hate this attitude too. The money is there to help those who NEED it, not WANT it.

No wonder the country is in such a state.
Wrong. Child benefit is a universal benefit and isn't based on need. Never has been.

The Country is in a state because successive governments have not planned properly for the future.

It is not in a state because people like my family have spent decades putting in to the system rather than taking out.

Again, I'm not disputing that people should be legally entitled to child benefit whatever their income. Just that society is made up of individuals and how individuals act ultimately affects society as a whole. Is it really such a hardship for people with lots of disposable income, plenty in their savings account and a nice lifestyle to consider whether it would be better spent elsewhere when they know they can claim later if they need it?

I get that we all pay taxes - before changing careers in preparation for pregnancy I was on the high taxation rate myself. But just as a few examples -

1) My little brother was given a life saving operation and treatment for his problems as a child which my parents could never have afforded to pay for privately

2) When my then-fiancé was terminally ill and I was a struggling student relying on a pittance to keep a roof over our heads, he received palliative care and treatment to ease his suffering and I was given support and counselling.

3) My Grandmother was given a heart bypass which kept her with us for another 20 years.

4) The person who attacked my best friend was found and jailed by the police

5) I gave birth in an NHS hospital and although it wasn't the best experience due to the funding cuts, they got my son out alive despite him not breathing initially.

All of these things were more than enough "thank you" for paying tax and NI and that's barely scratching the surface.

I've already said I have no issue with what Foogirl is doing with her benefit.

Absolutely. I think sometimes people forget just how much we all benefit from the taxes paid, whether we receive cash benefits or not.

I have to laugh at how many of you have jumped on the fact my partner spent £1000 a month on a car (which just in case you were wondering as you all seem so interested, is before tax, petrol, insurance etc, it's the car alone, shock horror!!) which I clearly stated was bought before he had any other commitments and unfortunately, as it was a bank loan. He earned that money, why the hell shouldn't he spend that much on a car? Who are you to get all high and mighty and decide who should spend how much on something they worked for?

Would you also like to know the price of my house so you can jump on that too?

And yes we claim child benefit, no we don't need it. And yes I damned well have a sense on entitlement.

We are putting that money in a savings account (which I'm sure I've also stated) for a future for Niamh. Because in 15 years time she'll probably have to pay university fees in Scotland. If someone is going to allow me to support Niamh in the future then I'm sure as hell not going to turn it down.

And my sense of entitlement? I have worked since I was 13 years old, paying tax and NI since 17. Once, after I had Niamh and lost my job dues to closure, I claimed tax credits. For a whole month because I'd spent all the savings I'd saved by 19 on living without claiming the first 5 months after I lost it.

I work, I pay into the system, yet I get less out of it than someone who doesn't pay into it? So yes, I will take what they're offering, thank you.

Also, for the record, we would miss £80 a month. We're not burning money in the fireplace. I know where it all goes. I could manage without it, but I do see it go.

I've never been so enraged by a thread. Not because of the debate. But by the response from some of you.

yes but if people are going to get offended they need to stop responding:haha:
I do agree with this, but to be honest, I've found a huge number of the comments on here are quite offensive because they are personal insults. I have no problem with a strong debate but there is no need to get personal with it.

That said, if I cared what complete strangers thought of me I'd have stepped away from the internet loooong before now!:haha:

OT: £1000 a month for a car before tax insurance ect?! What is it? A Bentley?! I work in the trade, you either have a very nice car or a very poor finance deal!

OT: £1000 a month for a car before tax insurance ect?! What is it? A Bentley?! I work in the trade, you either have a very nice car or a very poor finance deal!

1000 a month on a car??? I have to agree with the above!
Lucky you for being able to use the money to save for your daughters future. I cant afford to do that to put my child benefit into a savings account because i need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->