I need some advice

Christina

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I found out I was pregnant 4 days ago. I still can't beleive it! I am 6 weeks today.

Anyway I am so tired but I can't sleep at all. Last night I maybe got 4 hours ans maybe 5 the day before. I have been like this for almost a month now. Here is the frustrating part... I am a shiftworker who runs heavy equipment. I am working 3-12h shifts this weekend (nights 7pm-7am) bouncing on frozen ground (doesn't feel so good when you are exhausted, sick, and your boobs hurt!) Do you think the bouncing and jarring on equipment can dammage the pregnancy? I asked the doctor and he didn't understand. I may just have to stay at home but I also need the pay. This is tough! I was wondering if anyone else is pregnant and working shiftwork and how are you coping?

Hi Christina :hi:

I don't do shiftwork although I posted the other day about my job possiblt being too much. I work on a stables and do a lot of heavy lifting and physical work. I'm thinking I'll have to give up as it is already too much with me feeling ill and tired all the time.

Is it possible for you to get another job? The stress of it alone is not good for you or baby. Or is there a way that they could assign you to something a little less physical if you talk to them?

Hi Snowball!
The company can accomidate me if it is too much. I am a wuss at the moment because I push myself and I don't know how far I can push it. It is not about me but the baby. Knowbody at my job knows anything yet because it it a Christmas present to my parents. It is weird to be in this position. I am the first female at my job that has become pregnant and that runs equipment. It is going to a learning experience for the company and the 300 guys I work with.
I seem to be freaking out and all emotional for no reason really. I just do not want to mess this up.

Hi Christina

Firstly congratulations on your BFP!!

I used to work shifts (worked as an Air Hostess), but as soon as I found out I was pregnant I informed the company and was grounded. They have now found me work in one of the offices in Cargo, basically just answering the phone all day, which is dead boring and I hate it, but I´m still getting the same wage as before and there is another pregnant colleague sitting with me, so its not too bad.

Here in Germany there are strict regulations that companies have to adhere to for pregnant women - we´re not allowed to work on Sundays, Bank Holidays, or work between the hours of 20.00 and 06.00am. As soon as the company knows you are pregnant they have to implement this and you should not lose any of your wages as a result either. As boring as it is, on the phone all day, at least I can take it easy and as the offices have had lots of pregnant women sitting there over the years, they´ve even put a sofa in one of the meeting rooms, so we can crash out during the day if we fill sick or tired.

I don´t know what the law is re pregnant women in Canada, but perhaps you could talk to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or have a look on the web for information. Then at least you are armed with info when you talk to your employers, about changing your shifts, lifting heavy things etc, which soon you will find difficult to do anyway. If you are the first woman to get pregnant within your area of work, then its no surprise that they´ll have no idea of what you can and can´t do. Again I don´t know the law in Canada, but over here you cannot sack a woman just cos she´s pregnant.

Hope that helps you a bit

Hi

When I was talking to my GP about my MC he said that the baby is a robust little thing - stress etc doesn't add to any problems other than emotional - however, he did say not to do any heavy lifting or anything that strains your body.

I used to work at an animal sanctuary and was pregnant while I was there (m/c unfortunatly but not due to work). I think that if your body is used to heavy work then it shouldn't be a problem but in the first trimester you do get much more tired, sick & uncomfortable which can make it very hard till that eases off.

Also I know in a farm enviroment at least there are many more hazards to face at work. I think you should be alright as you start your 2nd trimester but could struggle again when you get big. In the UK at least your employer has to do a risk assesment and find you something suitable to do or I think you can have paid leave or claim some sort of benefit.

Thank you all. It is nice to be able to talk to others that understand. I could not finish my shift last night from lack of sleep and the vibration and roughness of my job made me overly exhausted. I am going to call into work today and not work my next two shifts. I need to be doing something else for a while. As Canada goes I am not sure if there is alot or regulation there unfortunatly but I am going to look anyway. Nurses at the hospital still work 12 shifts through there pregnancy. I am told there is no effect on your pegnancy from shiftwork. I think it is a lie. I mean you always feel as you are on a hangover and your meals are not programed to be the same everyday. Pretty tough. Thanks for all your help!!:hugs:

Is there anything that would normally help before pregnancy to relax you - some people take a bath and find it makes them sleepy (others it does the opposite)! A nice hot drink (hot milk, hot choc?). I found I could not sleep in my first trimester also yet I had no sickness or anything to keep me awake. Also finding new comfy positions in bed is a good one - My long pregnancy pillow was great to throw my leg over and snuggle (lol) it really made me comfortable if the OH wouldn't allow me to swing my leg over him (hump his leg he would said).

Shift work isn't easy at the best of times so I sort of disagree with the no effect on yoru pregnancy too - no danger to your baby maybe but not good for expecting Mum I'm sure.

Hope you find something to relax you for a good sleep at the end of your shifts.

I had a horrible night again last night! I think I am going to get me one of those pregnancy pillows!:sleep: Does anyone know where to get them?

congratulations on your BFP... i had to tell work straight away as some of the work i do is heavy lifting, and they were really good about it....... I work 8pm till 2 in the morning and i feel so tired at the end of my shift, and have lower back pain........ When i was pregnant with my last, i was throwing up 5 times a day, could not keep anything down, doctor was writing me out sick notes, as i had no energy what so ever......

I had a horrible night again last night! I think I am going to get me one of those pregnancy pillows!:sleep: Does anyone know where to get them?
I got mine from an eBay shop but most maternity shops will sell them. You can get diff shapes mine was just like an extra long normal pillow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->