I want to put on weight!

CareBear

Is considering whats next
Reaction score
Might be a bit of strange question but does anyone have any tips for putting on weight? I try to eat healthily and do eat more than my far share of junk food as well as drinking fizzy drinks but I just don't seem to put any weight on! It has been suggested that my infertility problems could be cause I've got such a low BMI but I have always been small and I am certain I used to ovulate. However it wouldn't be a bad thing to put on some weight, so any suggestions please?

Thanks!

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2302.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=165

I think its case of just eating more calories then you r used to.
Good Luck!

u may have a fast motablism (sp) my partner can eat and eat and eat!! and hes soo skinny its shocking u would think he hardly ate hes got to go see a dietician about it

protein bars and things of that nature....a gained a ton of weight from them despite actually being active...may just be the way my body works, but its worth a shot right?

Thanks for this thread! I have lost a tonne of weight since I had Oliver and it has really upset me. I used to be underweight and had finally managed to get a decent bmi. Now I'm bf, it's just dropping off and I can't stop it. I'll take advice from that website someone suggested. If you find a miracle, please let me know!!!

Thanks for all the replies - protein bars sound good, think I might give that a try! Going to try and find some fortified milk and give them a go instead of full fat milk.

I saw a dietician a few years ago who was just useless, told me to eat everything as full fat, eat five portions of fruit and veg a day and generally eat constantly all day! I felt like screaming that I already do that! She also told me to do more exercise which annoyed me as the reason I had lost weight (although I've always been underweight) was because I had ME and became a lot less active and couldn't do exercise! Foxy - I hope your OH has a better experience than me!

Good luck with putting weight on Kat!

Protein bars and protein shakes are excellent. Don't listen to the nutritionist, I am a Personal Trainer and nutritionist and woul never advise anyone to eat full fat foods. Unfortunately she is right in a ways that you should aim to eat every 2-3 hours, eat plenty of fruit and veg and stock up on the protein as this will be stored as muscle not fat, and muscle weighs more than fat. Which is why light resistance training can help you tone up but gain muscle in turn leading to an increased BMI, not a higher body fat percentage which would happen if you fed up on high fat foods!!
Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks SJW! I do eat every 2-3 hours at the mo when I remember! Will definately look up protein bars and it sounds like it will do the trick for me. Thing is though I don't want to be any more muscley and I do the recommended 30 minutes of exercise a day - I walk and I walk very fast!! Plus am I right in thinking that in order to have a better chance of getting pregnant this is to do with the right amount of body fat? I stocked up on natural nuts and vegetables today to munch on throughout the day and I have dried fruit too.

Thanks for the advice - I will put on at least some weight!!!

I'm also trying to gain weight. Yes, it's hard!

There are lots of different ways to put weight on. Weight does not come from calories alone. Muscle mass can make you put weight on aswell. I would try lift light weights to start and then work it up a bit. If you do light weights with small sets, you won't become "bulky" but you will increase your muscle (which weighs more than fat) and you will stay toned as you gain weight. I would suggest increasing your complex carbohydrates as well and make sure that you are eating through out the day without skipping meals. Good luck!

If you exercise...a great way to put on weight would be to eat lots of whole wheat pasta and rice, sweet potatoes and protein..

Pasta, potatoes, eggs, peanut butter, bananas, milk and cream. The full fat route is fine for a little while so long as its fresh and homemade, not like constantly binging on mcdonalds. The superskinny amongst us have to trick and ultimately break our metabolisms into working slower and personally i just ended up lighter in the pocket on all the protein shakes and bars and i couldnt physically eat as much as i was *supposed* to during the day so i ate normally and just made up a jugfull of milkshake (cream, banana, strwbs (or any other fruits ki fancied) two tablespoons of peanut butter, milk and a scoop or two of ice cream all whizzed together)

That got me to a healthy weight over a few months that my body now thinks is the normal weight to stay, instead of skinny mini.

I eat loads and don't seem to be able to put weight on. In fact, the more I eat, the less I weigh??! Maybe my metabolism gets a boost?.. It's bizarre.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->