If anyone was worrying about benefits

gingajewel

Mommy to Megan
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have seen a few threads about people worrying about the benefits reform in the UK. Just heard this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16675314

:happydance:Xx

Am I reading it right that the cap of £500 per week in benefits isn't going to be in place anymore?x

Sadly enough (given the pre baby i used to work in benefits!) i can't my head around the article at the moment!!!

I'm assuming that they are still taking child benefit away from people who earn more then circa £47,000pa?

I'm confused... are they still changing CTC? x

What it means is that Child benefit will still be in place, and not affected by anything in regards to the cap (they were going to include it in the £500 a week cap)

The cap means that you get £500 a week benefit MAXIMUM, to include CTC, housing benefit and council tax benefit, however there is exemptions for people who claim working tax credit and some other benefits.

the cap will come into affect in april 2013.

I know nothign about the CB and CTC concerns for higher earners unfortunatly :(

Its basically to stop people who DONT work (or dont want to) having lots of children and a huge expensive house on housing benefit
Perhaps not as cut and dry as that, But to put it simply thats what iv read on it x x

Is that £500 per person or per household? X

household..

£500 per person would be a ridiculous amount lol

Well my friends screwed then!! Her OH will HAVE TO get a job - poor guy :haha: x

Good! Thats what the cap is in place for :thumbup:

I still think £500 is a little too high!I mean average wage??where do they get these figures?I hope it now gets people who use benefits as a career choice(that the people who have no intention of ever coming off them) to get off their backsides and get work

I totally agree, I would love to know where they get £500 a week from for the average wage? Me and my oh both work and dont get that a week?

£2000 a month for doing nothing sounds ridicolously high to me? Where is the incentive for people to get a job?? X

500 a week? what the hell? is that how much families who dont work get? :O x

It depends on rent and stuff, would it be including dla benefits because they can mount up a fair bit x Ours is probably JUST under that. (Oh does work but low wage bracket so we do get some help)

Me & OH work & we don't get £500 a week even when I include CTC,WTC (for me) & CB :growlmad:

Me & OH work & we don't get £500 a week even when I include CTC,WTC (for me) & CB :growlmad:

same here we get just over 300 and have to pay rent food bills and stuff with it! were did they get 500 from :|

I might get shot down for this but i think the cap should be lower. My DH earns 29k but once tax and NI is taken out its lower than 26k and we manage to support 3 children, pay rent, council tax, all other bills, pay off ALOT of debt and still live comfortably and we are also saving for a house of our own so i don't see how people on benefits are able to get £500 a week?

The fact that people on benefits are able to get £8000 more a year than a soldier fighting in afghan actually baffles me!

I think it should be lower for those who can work yet choose not to, why should they live a life of luxary that they are not prepared to pay for, for those who are incapable of work and have valid reasons or are using benefits short term whilst they look for another job, theres should be kept at a fair amount x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->