If anyone was worrying about benefits

does that include housing benefits a lot of single mums get near the rent paid for them so that would mean they would have not a lot left?

Yes it does include HB. But i'm sure nobodies rent is £500 per week!

I dont think any one gets 500 a week in benefits all together ??

does that include housing benefits a lot of single mums get near the rent paid for them so that would mean they would have not a lot left?

Lots of families live on £26k & below & pay their own rent/mortgage & bills. How is it any different?

I think they do you know, if their monthly rent is high enough, coupled with council tax benefit, child benefit, income support etc. With enough children and an expensive enough house it can easily get to 500 x

Well then whether it includes HB or not is irrelevant?

Either way my DH works for less than 26k and we still manage to pay rent, council tax, bills, £500 a month off debt that we owe and save for a house and live comfortably so i don't see how people on benefits can't?

From my understanding, you would have to have a fair few children to get £500 a week in benefits! I think the cap is to stop people having more children just to get more money.. so the maximum they will ever get is £500 a week even if they have 15 children... Is that right? Thats what I heard on the daybreak yesterday anyway!

I think its a good idea for those that do think benefits are a career... The only problem is theres already so many people out of work(not through choice) & theres just not enough jobs out there.. I was in peacocks the other day and if they do go into liquidation theres thousands more out of work... what with things closing down left right and centre...The government really need to sort this mess out soon!

I think they do you know, if their monthly rent is high enough, coupled with council tax benefit, child benefit, income support etc. With enough children and an expensive enough house it can easily get to 500 x

Agree, someone I know is ranting on FB because she has 6 kids, she doesn't work, gets her rent paid etc.
She can get a job, all her kids are of school age. She just claims she is looking after her son :shrug:

I would love to know where they get £500 a week from for the average wage? Me and my oh both work and dont get that a week?

I can believe that is a pretty average amount. When me and OH are both working we earn average salaries for the area we live and take home just under £1200 a week before tax, without adding in bonuses and overtime.

I think the limit is a great idea. The only people who will really be hit by it are the ones making a lifestyle out of being on benefits, renting 6 bed houses in expensive areas for them and their 5 kids and getting it all paid for.

Agree, someone I know is ranting on FB because she has 6 kids, she doesn't work, gets her rent paid etc.
She can get a job, all her kids are of school age. She just claims she is looking after her son :shrug:

Maybe she is is carer x

looking at example figures, I think its only the families with high rents who would get anywhere near £500 a week and the majority of their benefits would go towards their rent so it wouldn't be money in their pocket to spend, if you see what I mean.

My benefit broken down is.

£114 per week Housing Benefit.

£15 per week Council Tax Benefit.

£106 per week Child Tax Credits.

£67 per week Income Support.

£33 Child Benefit.

Totalling £335 a week.

I am in the North West, so it is cheaper to live around here than say in London.

But £500 maybe ok for some but may send other to the poverty line.

And if this is the case then they either need to get a job, cut back on so called necessities.

I don't treat the benefits system as a career choice and tbh nobody should.

If people who are on benefits are complaining they will be worse off, odds are they have never worked and they are the ones who have never tried feeding a family on 5 on 1 wage!!!!

V xxx

In order to have a take home pay of around £2000 a month (approx £500 every week) then your salary would have to be around £33000 (off top of my head). It is really quite mind boggling that there are families receiving this type of 'salary' from benefits, even if they are a minority.

In order to have a take home pay of around £2000 a month (approx £500 every week) then your salary would have to be around £33000 (off top of my head). It is really quite mind boggling that there are families receiving this type of 'salary' from benefits, even if they are a minority.

Yes it was reported that to get the 26k cap by working you would have to earn 35k!
It makes you wonder why you should bother working. Maybe my husband should leave the RAF and then we'll divorce and just keep having kids! Its ridiculous!

Yes it was reported that to get the 26k cap by working you would have to earn 35k!
It makes you wonder why you should bother working. Maybe my husband should leave the RAF and then we'll divorce and just keep having kids! Its ridiculous!

I agree, it is.

Different areas with rents and all that I heard of the high rent you have in England in some places.

Lots of families live on £26k & below & pay their own rent/mortgage & bills. How is it any different?
Dont know what you mean there.

Either way my DH works for less than 26k and we still manage to pay rent, council tax, bills, £500 a month off debt that we owe and save for a house and live comfortably so i don't see how people on benefits can't?
how is it irreverent when its a benefit and I was asking if it was included?

Maybe she is is carer x
My mum is a carer for my autistic sister and dosnt work.

can we not turn this in to a bash people on benefits thread and who deserves what thread?

Different areas with rents and all that I heard of the high rent you have in England in some places.

Dont know what you mean there.

how is it irreverent when its a benefit and I was asking if it was included?

Maybe she is is carer x
My mum is a carer for my autistic sister and dosnt work.

can we not turn this in to a bash people on benefits thread and who deserves what thread?

I don't think it is, everyones in agreement, those who screw the system, should be capped and forced to work, those who genuinely need the benefit should be fully entitled to it, i really don't think theres any bashing going on. Its all well and good to say "maybe shes a carer" but honestly, shes on the girls Facebook, i don't think she'd have used this example if the woman was a carer.

For those of us that work, we have to earn £35,000 before tax to come out with the same amount! Thats shocking to me, to add more insult to injury, the higher tax bracket of 40% comes in to play at £35,001 so basically they are screwing those who earn 35k saying that its a high salary and at the same time giving it to those who claim, which makes no sense to me.

People can argue all the like about how its about the children, but those who work HAVE to consider of they can afford more children before they TTC. Added to the fact that benefits go up at the rate of inflation as its SUPPOSED to be the MINIMUM someone can live on, what the hell?

I have nothing against benefits, but, they shouldn't be that high. There are plenty of WORKING families with children who survive on less than that, the government should really look to them for advice, as right now I feel like why bother working, the country is really in a bad way when some people on solely benefits can have more money than a middle earner paying 40% tax!

going back to the rent/housing benefit issue again, a lot of people who are working and on less then the maximum benefit allowance will have a mortgage and the payments on mortgages are generally lower then those for rents.

A good proportion of my benefits goes towards housing. Rents are ridiculously high and I am on the maximum rate of HB for my area and I still have to contribute towards it. I am not moaning that I don't get enough HB, I am just trying to point out that rents are on the increase.

going back to the rent/housing benefit issue again, a lot of people who are working and on less then the maximum benefit allowance will have a mortgage and the payments on mortgages are generally lower then those for rents.

A good proportion of my benefits goes towards housing. Rents are ridiculously high and I am on the maximum rate of HB for my area and I still have to contribute towards it. I am not moaning that I don't get enough HB, I am just trying to point out that rents are on the increase.

They really are, hopefully the cap will force them down, because otherwise landlords will find that they can't find any tenants who can afford to live in their properties. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->